We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2019  (Read 21818 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: Galanthus in February 2019
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
Galanthus nivalis 'Forest Muse'

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
And the tiny pterugiform, "name to be revealed"  ;)

Galanthus nivalis '...'  :P :P ;D

635285-0

635287-1

Even though it's so tiny, the slugs seem to have found it yesterday  >:( >:( >:(
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
Galanthus nivalis ZDPR2

Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2019, 07:23:39 PM »
And I think this is the one you called your finest pterugiform, no?

Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mariette

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
... but I like the second snowdrop, too. It has so good contrast between green inners and white outside petals.
That´s what I think, too! My other favourites are those with the shiny green leaves, You´re fortunate to have discovered so many of them! Well done!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
Nice to see those growing with you, Wim- I am getting to quite like some of the  inverse poculiforms  (or i-pocs) as I see  Chris calls them too.  Especially the bigger ones.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:38:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carsten

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your wonderful pictures.

Here are some of my yellow fraction.

'Dryad Gold Nugget'
The bulb planted outside is clearly yellow at the inner mark, the one in the greenhouse has a greenish yellow.

'Elizabeth Harrison'

'Mother Goose'

'Midas'

Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
Maggi, I am a happy and lucky man indeed to have Greta to be my wife. We love searching through snowdrops, mineral hunting, simply spending all the time we have together. She is also an artists and maybe those are not snowdrops from any place except our dream world, but they are still nice to look at. :)

(Artist: Greta Ciesielska)

Thank you Wim for adding some more photos of Greta's and my findings. You are keeper of our little treasures. :)

Mariette, I really hope to propagate and name 'Heaven's Patch' (with shiny leaves) indeed it is different from the other green-leaved ones. It is also a good grower, at least for me.

Carstens, I love your yellow ones, especially 'Midas' and 'Mother Goose', which are on my wishlist. They will have to wait for me to gain some space, since I would have real problem where to plant them now.

Here is some update of what is flowering in my garden.

All plants are pure Galanthus nivalis.

BGYL2 - is a tall plant with bright coloured. It is somewhere in between pure yellow and regular green and it is perfectly seen when there are regular snowdrops around. It really stands out a lot. If it would be worth naming, my wife thought of name 'Bonanza' for it. It is a slow grower.

Dizzy - is just opening. It is really a weird plant with outer petals wave shaped.
635525-1

GRY2 - was growing nearby GRY1 = 'Forest Muse'. When I found it, it was still not flowering and it took two years for it to finally open a flower. I find it weirdly coloured, because I was expecting yellow marking as the whole plant is yellow. It seems that the most yellow it is in its lowest parts, while the marking on the inner petals is strongly green. It is very frail plant. I like it, but I don't know if it would be worth naming. We shall see when more flowers should appear how they would look like.

'Kelpie' - that plant is my wife's finding. It is a diffused chimera. You don't know what you can expect from an offspring except, that it will be double coloured. Very interesting to look at. The name came from a mythical sea horse, that can change shape.
635529-3

'Little Artist' - here some more developed. I adore those tiny flowers!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:21:10 PM by Cephalotus »
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2019, 10:02:13 PM »
I wish I had a place where to put all the photos, so I could show them all at once and not use the Forums server too much. Here are some more from my garden, all pure G. nivalis.

TW1 - last year we managed to find a nice green one for the first time. Most probably there are many similar to his one and the one below, so I don't think it is worth naming.

TW2

TW4 - a little monster, that my wife liked. It is really a weird one, but it also stands out a lot. If it deserves a name, my wife will have to think of something for that one.
635537-2

ZA1 - found in an old fruit garden, that naturalised and turned into a forest. I like its inner petals shape and marking. It looks like it was going to become an incomplete poculiformis.
635539-3

ZD16 - anthers are fused with the inner petals. It differs from year to year, but it seems to be always present and inheritable.
635541-4
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »
I think, that this message will be the last one for now, although there are still many plants to be shown. For now those are the last five (G. nivalis):

ZDC1 - a chimera found by my wife, the very first one. Unfortunately, the whole, beautiful clump found last year is gone. I had no time to divide it in summer and now I pay the price. Gladly, this one is still alive and I will definitely take care of it, since it's amazing feature does propagate, although it is different with each offspring. also it may vary each year, at least a little.
635543-0

ZDZ4 - another finding of my wife, it has no inner petals... well this year one plant went rouge and tried to produce some. The petals are not properly formed. It was last year the same. Even if this particular one is not a beauty, it still could provide many seeds out of some a perfect one could germinate.

ZDPR7 - is one of my favourites and second found inverse poculiformis at all. It has a tiny green leaking near the ovary, it is also the only one I found with this feature. It will be provided care and go to better conditions than mine. I really wouldn't want it to be gone. It is a slow grower.

ZDPR17, 19, 16 - some nice group of inverse poculiformis, the middle one seems to slowly loose outer marking and come back to being normal.
635549-3

G. 'Rosemary Burnham' - a gift from a good friend. The plant seems to be happy of conditions I provided it and I am happy of how it presents and that it likes my garden. :)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »
Chris - no worry about how many photos you post here!  These pictures posted direct to the forum are safe   here, and sometimes photos posted from elsewhere disappear over time from other  places and leave only a gap here - that is  very sad and frustrating - safer to have them here!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:33 PM »
If I can, than I will send one more set of photos than. I just lost everything I wrote in a moment ago... bad luck.

(All are G. nivalis)

BG6 and BG14 - forms with barely any marking on the inner petals. Two of my very first finds. I never knew I should look... ekhm... under the "skirt"... to learn if there is any marking on the inner side of the flower. All mine has green on the inside. I will now watch closer for absolutely pure white one.
635559-0

BGYL2 - in compare with other, regularly coloured ones.
635561-1

ZDCP6 - thought to be the perfect poculiformis, but one flower seems to regressed. I have many more perfect poculiformis and invomplete ones. The first type is till way long before flowering, which is interesting.
635565-2

ZDPR6 - is the very first inverse poculiformis found by my. I never even thought I could find anything like it, but I did and I find many form like that now. This one is a sentiment of mine and one of my small dreams come true. :)

In a few days, there will be more to show, but the plants need to grow up. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:56:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
The ZDC1 -  chimera is fascinating Chris. The must-missed John Finch had an agapanthus 'San Gabriel' (see picture) which did that half green-half yellow variegation which was very lovely but sadly unstable and a plant that I bought from the collection holder is not nearly so dramatic.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Pauli

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:33 AM »
A nice clump of poculiform nivalis found near the Danube
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Mariette

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
ZDPR6 has lovely proportions, Chris! Who would ever have thought that this form might be found in Galanthus nivalis, too? You´re a lucky man to be able to ramble through such varied populations!

In my garden the green-marked pocs are now at their best.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal