We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2019  (Read 10291 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Corydalis 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
Not the best photos  but  they may help -

Corydalis Beth Evans

and Corydalis  George Baker

In our garden  Beth Evan flowers  first, and when it is  almost over, George Baker  begins - at least, that is what happens in most  years. Sometime  George Baker begins  while  Beth Evans is  in full flower.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Wonderful spring garden, Maggi. :) Like your garden always is.
The difference in colours is the same here, but they flower the same time, like all Corydalis, because spring is so much shorter  time here.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »
Leena - you're right, it can be disappointing when you expect a certain plant to be true to name.
I don't have this problem with Corydalis solida (or other Corydalis) here because they are rarely  offered; we don't have that many specialized nurseries, the mass producing ones don't grow them. Many people have no idea about them, especially that they flower and go dormant fast.

I think I showed some pictures before but when they flower there is little time. My reddest is also not the GB. Just a few:

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Carolyn

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
Lovely strong colours, Gabriela, even if you can't buy named varieties.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
I didn't followed Corydalis page, was very busy in nursery and the health was not on top. So may be I repeat something, but here 4 pictures made today, when crocuses almost finished blooming, but now comes Corydalis festivity. Here 3 species, difficult for outside, but good in pots - all from Iran and starting from top - Corydalis hyrcana (16IRS-082), then 2 colour forms of Corydalis haussknechtii (17IRS-038 and 050), collected at two different, quite distant localities (the purple in wild was more impressive) and last is very special Corydalis verticillaris ssp. boissieri (17IRS-042).
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Gabriela

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
Lovely strong colours, Gabriela, even if you can't buy named varieties.

Thank you Carolyn. The only named var. I ever bought were GB (presumably) and one bulb of Beth Evans maybe 8 years ago.
In the last couple of years I sowed a lot of Corydalis from my own (to help) and friends: solida, caucasica, cava....I look fwd for all to grow and intermingle happily in the garden!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
I didn't followed Corydalis page, was very busy in nursery and the health was not on top. So may be I repeat something, but here 4 pictures made today, when crocuses almost finished blooming, but now comes Corydalis festivity. Here 3 species, difficult for outside, but good in pots - all from Iran and starting from top - Corydalis hyrcana (16IRS-082), then 2 colour forms of Corydalis haussknechtii (17IRS-038 and 050), collected at two different, quite distant localities (the purple in wild was more impressive) and last is very special Corydalis verticillaris ssp. boissieri (17IRS-042).

Spectacular festivities Janis.
Those with a greenhouse can rejoice in growing all these interesting beauties!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »
indeed without a greenhouse...
North of France

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
At last I caught the firebird!
638635-0

But now I have another problem: The labels at this place say that one of these two is "White swallow"  ???

BW
Hannelore

barnclos

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
Corydalis fumariifolia subsp. azurea. My first Corydalis flower.

Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »
The only named var. I ever bought were GB (presumably) and one bulb of Beth Evans maybe 8 years ago.
In the last couple of years I sowed a lot of Corydalis from my own (to help) and friends: solida, caucasica, cava....I look fwd for all to grow and intermingle happily in the garden!

I have had the same thought  when I have bought named cultivars: that I would get some good mother plants and then increase by seeds to have someday a lot of flowering plants  :). Not the same of course, but some maybe even better and some not so good, but it is faster to increase them from seeds than to wait for bulbs to multiply (if you have a big garden).
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
Two that are a bit past their best, Corydalis solida 'Purple Bird' and Corydalis solida. The latter hasn't flowered well this year so maybe I will move it later.

638955-1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:02:51 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
very nice set of colors from all of you, here's another solida hybrid 'Domino'
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:42:34 PM by Yann »
North of France

Gabriela

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 11:42:03 PM »
Corydalis fumariifolia subsp. azurea. My first Corydalis flower.

(Attachment Link)

To many more Keith :)
A pleasant soft blue color.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
I have had the same thought  when I have bought named cultivars: that I would get some good mother plants and then increase by seeds to have someday a lot of flowering plants  :). Not the same of course, but some maybe even better and some not so good, but it is faster to increase them from seeds than to wait for bulbs to multiply (if you have a big garden).

The more the better Leena!
What I'm doing now is grow them 2 years in pots to better give them a 'fighting' chance, then I plant in the garden after they go dormant (in the second year).
I only kept seedlings of the very red form in a pot because I'm curious to see what's the probability of getting something close with the mother plant. We'll see...
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal