We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2019  (Read 10291 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Corydalis 2019
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
very nice set of colors from all of you, here's another solida hybrid 'Domino'

Interesting flower shape for a solida Yann. Do you know the parentage?
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »
Corydalis Open Day - Durham, Co Durham
Sunday 31st March 2019

The  garden of  Brian Whitton is again open to view his national collection of  Corydalis.  This is  a fascinating opportunity to view the Corydalis Collection in Durham (DH1 4LA) on Sunday 31st March 2019. Species from the high mountains in China are of particular interest, but it's difficult to predict flowering dates, so email for information.

Plant Heritage  notice :
 Open day to see the National Plant Collection, Corydalis. Medium garden with plants in outdoor and greenhouse pots; many also in open beds. Species from high mountains in China of particular interest, but difficult to predict flowering dates, so email for information.
Event Location:
74 Archery Rise
Durham
Co Durham
DH1 4LA
Event Contact:
Prof Brian A Whitton
0191 386 7504
b.a.whitton@durham.ac.uk

638995-1

https://www.nccpg.com/Events/Corydalis-Open-Day---Durham,-Co-Durham.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0GjEctlxH6Vq9wLxppY6cK6hbLl0H62O0tKdLwbXpj52mdx-gOEN7xvh0
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:13:00 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
Here are

Corydalis solida - one of my best blue selections
and Corydalis marschalliana

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2019, 11:59:09 PM »
Here are
Corydalis solida - one of my best blue selections
Gerd

Gorgeous blue Gerd, are you sure it doean't have a bit of foreign blood? The flower shape is a bit unusual for solida.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:48 AM »
What I'm doing now is grow them 2 years in pots to better give them a 'fighting' chance, then I plant in the garden after they go dormant (in the second year).

This is what I'm doing now, too.  :) I have lost seedlings in some years, when I have either sown them directly to ground or planted right after germination. Of course this would happen to seedlings which I'm most looking forward to, the more common ones (muddy purple)  just keep on self seeding no matter what the weather is like ..
Leena from south of Finland

Gerdk

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »
Gorgeous blue Gerd, are you sure it doean't have a bit of foreign blood? The flower shape is a bit unusual for solida.

Thank you Gabriela! There is more than one origin of my blue selections. I remember that I once found a single blue one in the Alps and there are also some of commerce.
However I just compared the photographed plant with other solidas and I can't detect special differences.

I must confess I am not the best oberserver concerning differentiation, so would you please tell me what is unusual for you.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 11:55:47 PM »
This is what I'm doing now, too.  :) I have lost seedlings in some years, when I have either sown them directly to ground or planted right after germination. Of course this would happen to seedlings which I'm most looking forward to, the more common ones (muddy purple)  just keep on self seeding no matter what the weather is like ..

I noticed self sown seedlings as well Leena, don't know the colours yet but for now even the common ones can stay; I have plenty of space to fill (will keep them on the other side of the house though  ;D
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »

Thank you Gabriela! There is more than one origin of my blue selections. I remember that I once found a single blue one in the Alps and there are also some of commerce.
However I just compared the photographed plant with other solidas and I can't detect special differences.

I must confess I am not the best oberserver concerning differentiation, so would you please tell me what is unusual for you.
Gerd

Your picture doesn't have enough detail Gerd but the spur seems a bit too recurved, I may be wrong of course.
I have never seen a pure blue C. solida (and I've witness large populations in the wild) and I actually don't know of any cultivars, maybe they exist but no one shows them.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gerdk

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
Thank you Gabriela! I just picked a flowerhead of the blue selection - and you are right, the spur is more incurved than it is in the other ' solida ' which I grow. So some kind of introgression can't be excluded.
I am still not sure if this is sufficient to name them ' solida hybrids ' or ' aff. solida '.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »
I have never seen a pure blue C. solida (and I've witness large populations in the wild) and I actually don't know of any cultivars, maybe they exist but no one shows them.
I bought a bulb of C. solida 'Blue Pearl' from Paul Christian, expecting at least a blue-ish flower but for me it was not even a Dulux hint of blue. I think they must have had quite a few other people disappointed as there is now quite an extensive discussion about the unstable nature of the blue colour of this cultivar on their website...
My plant;
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gabriela

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 11:23:36 PM »
Thank you Gabriela! I just picked a flowerhead of the blue selection - and you are right, the spur is more incurved than it is in the other ' solida ' which I grow. So some kind of introgression can't be excluded.
I am still not sure if this is sufficient to name them ' solida hybrids ' or ' aff. solida '.

Gerd

It's up to you Gerd how to name it, I would say hybrid. What blue Corydalis species you had/have in the garden? It would help to clarify the origin.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 11:38:50 PM »
I bought a bulb of C. solida 'Blue Pearl' from Paul Christian, expecting at least a blue-ish flower but for me it was not even a Dulux hint of blue. I think they must have had quite a few other people disappointed as there is now quite an extensive discussion about the unstable nature of the blue colour of this cultivar on their website...
My plant;
(Attachment Link)

Still nice Gail :) I do not cry after blue C. solida because there are enough beautiful blue Corydalis.
If we are to discuss colours, let's think that in within every species there are 'traditional' colours, some 'rare' and some plainly put 'nonexistent' - better said not expressed, they may exist genetically speaking. There are many studies regarding the genetics of flowers colours.
Corydalis solida, considering wild large populations, shows: purple in various shades, pink, white and red. Even in close species: C. caucasica, cava,...the main colours are purple to white.

So, any 'blue' C. solida sounds a bit suspicious to begin with (but not impossible). But there are still many other beautiful forms to obtain colour wise for C. solida.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gerdk

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
It's up to you Gerd how to name it, I would say hybrid. What blue Corydalis species you had/have in the garden? It would help to clarify the origin.

Gabriela, I don't have any blue Corydalis besides the plant pictured but within the ancestry there might be another species - part of the starting material of my selection came from a nursery.

So - better will call them aff. solida.
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2019, 01:24:55 AM »
affine (aff.) is Latin for "similar to", but in botany it means "closely related to, but likely not the same species".

confer (cf.) is Latin for "compare", but in botany it means "similar to, but not identical and may be the same species".

But in real life, affine and confer are subjectively used.  Their subtle difference is meaningful when both are used by the same author, but probably best viewed as identical from author to author.

Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »
Corydalis flexuosa 'Purple Leaf'

641071-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal