We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2019  (Read 8773 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Erythronium 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »
This is the third year I have grown this plant and I've never been sure if it is Erythronium oregonum as I bought it or if it is actually E. californicum. A study of Ian Young's book shows clearly that pollen colour in oregonum is white (mine is yellow) and the flower on my plant does look very much like californicum. Ian help please!

David I think you need to take another look at my book - most forms of E.  oregonum have yellow pollen but there are some with creamy white pollen, they are often referred to as 'sulphur' form E. Californicum has white pollen however from what I can tell f om your pictures the shape of the filaments in the one you show looks to be a pale pollen form of E. oregonum.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »
This erythronium is a hybrid from a friends garden in Monefeith.  There is probably a bit of E Hendersonii in its parents.  She named it 'Ardovie Bliss'.  It has proved to be a bit difficult to please.  This clump has sadly gone.

E. "Ardovie Bliss" is indeed a very beautiful hybrid of E. hendersonii and as you point out it has proved challenging in some conditions we still have a slowly increasing group built up from a single bulb that I planted into a new bed last year, they are in bud just now.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »
David I think you need to take another look at my book - most forms of E.  oregonum have yellow pollen but there are some with creamy white pollen, they are often referred to as 'sulphur' form E. Californicum has white pollen however from what I can tell f om your pictures the shape of the filaments in the one you show looks to be a pale pollen form of E. oregonum.

Many thanks Ian, I'd missed that, turned over two pages at once.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
The pictures following were taken yesterday which was one of those days of intermittent heavy rain showers followed by sunny spells, followed by heavy hail showers, followed by another sunny spell. The kind of day spent putting gardening tackle back into the garage and dashing back inside again so four pictures took most of the day! It was also a day,  where yet again, I tried to come to terms with the manual settings on my camera. I've done this many times before but each time I fail to remember the lessons I've tried to teach myself, maybe it's an age thing?

First picture is Erythronium 'Craigton Cream'. One of the many other things I'm trying to learn is to be less bothered by plantings which scramble together. Really I'm trying to begin to emulate Ian Young's approach that he wonderfully shows in his garden on the Bulb Log and Videos of sweeping plantings and colour inter-mixed. So 'Craigton Cream' is here together with a very nice white Primula vulgaris and Muscari macrocarpum.

640306-0

Erythronium californicum. Had it been a reasonable day I would probably have tried too to get a shot of the inner flower--maybe next time!

640308-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
Erythronium 'Craigton Cover Girl', one of the few Erythroniums I have yet that clump up well and in an area where I hope to eventually spread more Corydalis seedlings.

640310-0

Erythronium 'Joanna' a John Amand introduction originally, a tuolumnense / revolutum cross. If we get a dry day I shall try to get a picture of this inner flower too.

640312-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

bibliofloris

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
Beautiful erythroniums, David — and lovely photos, too!
Kelly
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
Thanks Kelly.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
Lovely Erythroniums, David, so beautiful.
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks Leena.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 05:14:07 AM »
My brother has a plant he bought several years ago as E. helenae finally in flower.

I asked him to check for a bent style, but he says it has stamens, but no style, and no ovary.
All of the three flowers on the stem are the same.

How odd!  Has anyone else ever observed this in any erythronium?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
My brother has a plant he bought several years ago as E. helenae finally in flower.

I asked him to check for a bent style, but he says it has stamens, but no style, and no ovary.
All of the three flowers on the stem are the same.

How odd!  Has anyone else ever observed this in any erythronium?

I have soon occasional plants where for some reason the style does not form, usually this is due to immaturity or some damage, but I have not seen any without some form of an ovary.
Any chance of seeing some pictures?

stone

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
I gave these to a forum member to breed them

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:00 AM »
Erythronium revolutum ‘Citronella’ correct name is Erythronium 'Citronella'. Thanks Maggi.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:31:20 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
Lovely, Herman - but 'Citronella' is not  a revolutum form -  Erythronium ‘Citronella’ is an old hybrid of Erythronium tuolumnense and probably Erythronium ‘White Beauty’.   

www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012May231337778860BULB_LOG_2112.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
Erythronium 'Pagoda'

Erythronium 'Harvington Wild Salmon'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal