We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 11619 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: March 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2019, 11:50:42 PM »
Gabriela,
Here the spring moves sideways. The monthly average for March (4.8C) is slightly lower than for February (5.0C)!

One of the most capricious seasons, the spring, but also maybe the most beautiful - we must forgive 'her' :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
It is a wonder how cold hardy some flowers are. Last night was -7C, and Crocus tommasinianus 'Roseus' was ok this morning. It was cloudy so the flowers didn't open, but tomorrow it should be sunny. In the second photo Crocus 'Vanguard' coming through snow.
Also Paeonia obovata is super hardy.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
It is a wonder how cold hardy some flowers are. Last night was -7C, and Crocus tommasinianus 'Roseus' was ok this morning. It was cloudy so the flowers didn't open, but tomorrow it should be sunny. In the second photo Crocus 'Vanguard' coming through snow.
Also Paeonia obovata is super hardy.

Yes, quite amazing Leena. We had -8C last night but only a small group of Crocus Blue Pearl is open; many areas still frozen solid - you beat us this year I think!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
Two good blue pulmonarias

Pulmonaria angustifolia
Pulmonaria 'Blue Ensign'
Another good one is Pulmonaria 'Blue Crown' with spotted leaves but it is not in flower yet.
Speaking  of  pulmonarias ... Last Saturday was Pulmonaria Day at the Hardy  Plant  Society - & was the ideal event to launch the latest in the HPS series of booklets. Pulmonarias by Margaret Stone and Jennifer Hewitt shows the wide variety of these lovely plants that provide spring flowers and interesting silvered or silver-spotted foliage that can look good in the border right through until late autumn.
HPS members at the HPS AGM  in East Yorkshire this weekend can buy a copy of Pulmonarias and it will be available on the HPS website soon.      http://www.hardy-plant.org.uk/publications

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »
We had -8C last night but only a small group of Crocus Blue Pearl is open; many areas still frozen solid - you beat us this year I think!

This year has been peculiar, first a very snowy winter, and now warmer than average weathers (though still freezing nights most of the time), and it looks like spring is advancing fast now. Ground is not as deep frozen as usually, in fact in some places there it is not at all frozen (under snow) which is unusual in my garden.
Here is C.tommasinianus 'Roseus' today in sunshine and +10C.
In the second picture again Helleborus multifidus today. Many Helleborus buds (some flowering for the first time this year) are coming through snow now, usually they wait until the snow has melted.

Leena

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
Speaking  of  pulmonarias ... Last Saturday was Pulmonaria Day at the Hardy  Plant  Society - & was the ideal event to launch the latest in the HPS series of booklets. Pulmonarias by Margaret Stone and Jennifer Hewitt shows the wide variety of these lovely plants that provide spring flowers and interesting silvered or silver-spotted foliage that can look good in the border right through until late autumn.

Maggi, thank you. I don't have any book on Pulmonarias, and this looks good. :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
Leena, if you have any problems obtaining a copy when it is available do let me know and I would be happy to help.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
Aethionema 'Warley Rose' followed by Aethionema 'Warley Rubra'.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leena

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2019, 07:02:44 AM »
Thanks David. :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »
If ever there was a prize for the most beautiful ground cover plant this might win it.....Veronica peduncularis 'Georgian Blue'

639269-0

639271-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »
If ever there was a prize for the most beautiful ground cover plant this might win it.....Veronica peduncularis 'Georgian Blue'

Agree!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Rhododendron calophytum

639289-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2019, 05:13:43 AM »
Trond,

Nice looking Rhododendron calophytum.  8)

It seems the spring season is progressing - slowly. Slow seems nice as it provides plenty of time to enjoy what is currently in bloom or looking nice in some other way.

I was up in the Sierra Nevada today. I was so pleased to see a good deal of snow even at the mid-elevations (5,000 feet). The solar radiation is increasing and the snow is slowly melting despite a continuation of the stormy weather. There was a dusting of snow last night down to 4,000 feet elevation. Maybe it will be frosty at the Placerville farm tonight.

There are many plants blooming at our Sacramento home, however I have to be out-of-town many days right now. I hope the Sacramento garden is still interesting when I do not have to travel.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

noremack

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »
Looking forward to the clocks going forward tonight and having some daylight in the evenings again

noremack

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »
and to the SRGC show next month in Edinburgh!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal