We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 18016 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: April 2019 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
It is the peak of the blooming season for our deciduous azaleas.

The ‘Tatiana’ grex started out as a good idea. My wife would come up with a name and an idea of what the flowers would look like. I would breed the plants to see if I could match the idea. ‘Tatiana’ was the name of a tiger at the San Francisco zoo, thus the “striped” petals. Well, this seedling had the perfect flower type to match the ‘Tatiana’ name. Unfortunately, the plant habit was tall, leggy and sparse with foliage. My wife likes the plant so we have kept it. I am glad that we did, despite the leggy plant habit.

As breeding progressed, some of the other ‘Tatiana’ lines turned out extremely well, but no tiger stripes. This “keeper” has flower power! It blooms densely every year, and has a compact dense growing habit. In 20 years it is 1 meter tall.

Here is a close up of the flowers.

During this same period of time, I was working on some of my own breeding ideas. This azalea is less than 1 meter tall after 20 years. Rhododendron atlanticum and flammeum are in the parentage.

Here is a close up of the flowers.

In our new garden, I no longer have the space to do this type of breeding work, but I can enjoy the results of the past efforts for many years now.

At this time, I have new and very exciting breeding goals that will work in our small spaced garden. In my botanical work in the Sierra Nevada Mountains I have identified a number of ecotypes of species that interest me. I have identified (and continue to identify) unique phenotypes that are being incorporated into new breeding lines. A top priority in this project is to transform difficult to cultivate species into easy-to-grow (or much easier-to-grow) garden worthy plants with beautiful qualities not seen before in the garden. FUN!  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »

This is a nice looking Eriogonum ursinum seedling. I am hoping for more flowers next year. I find this species in the southern portion of the mountain region I work frequently.

This is one of the best Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum seedlings that I have grown to date. Some seed accessions produce plants with a large variance in characteristics.

Penstemon hetrophyllus var. purdyi is a beautiful species. There are a number of cultivated clones, some of which are interspecific hybrids. I still see a tremendous untapped potential within this species.

This is a nice pot full of Triteleia ixioides ssp. anilina, which will be planted out in our garden this coming autumn. It is one of 3 subspecies that are found within the botanical region that I work on a regular basis. This species is gorgeous in our garden and 100% xeric.  8)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:44:01 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
This picture shows my special preference for small Leontopodium...  Leontopodium fedtschenkoanum...Kyrgyzstan, Pamir Mountains, 3800 meters.

Leucogenes

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »
The Eriogonum ursinum looks great... Robert.
A question...have you ever been to the Klamath Mountains? There are said to be occurrences of Eriogonum diclinum. Another flat species with beautiful silver foliage.

Robert

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2019, 02:49:54 PM »
The Eriogonum ursinum looks great... Robert.
A question...have you ever been to the Klamath Mountains? There are said to be occurrences of Eriogonum diclinum. Another flat species with beautiful silver foliage.

Hi Thomas,

From 1995 to 2000, I made a number of botanical outings to the Klamath Mountain region. At the time my focus was on the Marble Mountains and the Salmon Mountains to the south. This is a huge area and although I saw many fantastic plant species, including some beautiful Eriogonum species, I never encountered Eriogonum diclinum.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2019, 04:07:50 PM »
Very nice all indeed Robert, I particularly liked the Penstemon.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:48 PM »
Sanguinaria canadensis 'Flore Pleno', or is just S. canadensis?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
I have a feeling we're supposed to call that S. canadensis 'Multiplex' now, David.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »

In our new garden, I no longer have the space to do this type of breeding work,

At this time, I have new and very exciting breeding goals that will work in our small spaced garden.

Robert,

You could enlist the cooperation of other gardeners to grow out your hybrid seeds.  This is done by amateur vegetable breeders, mostly of tomatoes, but also other vegetables too.  Information and seeds are shared for a number of years.  It would not be so quick for rhododendrons, though I have occasionally had flowers in three or four years, and cuttings would then be shared.

Diane
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks for that Maggi so it shall be. Sounds a bit like going to the 'flicks' ?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
Anemone tetonensis

Ptilotrichum spinosa 'Roseum'

642827-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Robert

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2019, 05:32:51 PM »
Very nice all indeed Robert, I particularly liked the Penstemon.

Hi David,

Thank you for all the encouraging comments.

There are some excellent clones of Penstemon hetrophyllus, however I believe that there is still a great deal of untapped potential in this species.
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Robert

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
Robert,

You could enlist the cooperation of other gardeners to grow out your hybrid seeds.  This is done by amateur vegetable breeders, mostly of tomatoes, but also other vegetables too.  Information and seeds are shared for a number of years.  It would not be so quick for rhododendrons, though I have occasionally had flowers in three or four years, and cuttings would then be shared.

Diane

Hi Diane,

This is a great idea, however water, among other things, is becoming a critical factor in our region even when there has been above average precipitation. In addition, I am currently doing the most creative and fascinating work with plants. For me it is fine to let go of something and move on. My current projects are going to keep me busy for several life times.  :)
Robert Barnard

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Leucogenes

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »
Hi Thomas,

From 1995 to 2000, I made a number of botanical outings to the Klamath Mountain region. At the time my focus was on the Marble Mountains and the Salmon Mountains to the south. This is a huge area and although I saw many fantastic plant species, including some beautiful Eriogonum species, I never encountered Eriogonum diclinum.

Robert... Thank you for your quick answer. The fabulous variety of the Eriogonum could fill many a garden. Some I have sown and have already germinated successfully. I have to prick soon.

Two more of countless newcomers to the Alpinum...
Physaria arctica & Androsace kosopoljanskii. I don't know how many plants I planted today...I am already dizzy ...😅
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:52:25 PM by Leucogenes »

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
Robert,

you really have some nice plants! I like your azalea hybrids :)

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal