We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2019  (Read 3868 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Anemone 2019
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
I have quite a few Anemone nemorosa as well as Anemone ranunculus as well as their hybrid
They do not do so well in black pots under our table but survived and now when the garden is ready to receive them I ponder where to plant them
I have two places in mind
First is sililar to where I have my hepaticas but maybe a bit more shaded. It is in the south shaded by a hedge and in north there is a "lawn"
The other alternative is a slanting piece of land that is facing east and in the south are shaded by huge tuja/cypress. Here are scilla and cordialis naturally and some syringa that is budding. I also think on adding two hibiscus syracusa.

I saw that we had a very nice plant Cardamine gladuligera that I wonder if it would do well with Anemone nemorosa or if they will take over or be over taken.

I wonder if you plant out different cultivars mixed or try to keep them separate. I might have them in both places and by the bushes have them more ordered and in control and in the small hill let nature have its way

Thankful for any suggestions
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Anemone 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
Anemone nemorosa don't do well in pots for me either, although at Avondale's National Collection they seem to do very well;

I'd get them in the garden and actually think either of the places you describe would suit them.

I only grew Cardamine gladuligera for a year or so before moving so not sure how quickly it spreads but it seemed similar to C. pentaphylla which in Suffolk was very well behaved and would be a good companion for anemones. (Not so C. quinquefolia which is early flowered and lovely but wants to take over the world...)

Comparison of C. gladuligera in pot with C. quinquefolia;
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:09:28 PM »
Anemone pavonia from Ashwoods

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
Anemone nemorosa blue selection - (label lost)

Gerd
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:40:33 PM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gail

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
Anemone nemorosa 'Vestal'
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 07:08:19 PM »
I always think A. n.  'Vestal' is one of the loveliest Gail, a perfect white. Mine is over now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
'Vestal' is also one of my favourites, it is just beginning to flower here. It is a bit later than normal wild A.nemorosa and blue ones.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »
Anemone nemorosa cultivars have been flowering now for quite some time, because of the cool weather (except right now there is a heat wave here). :)
One of my favourite is 'Hilda'. it's flowers are not big but there are a lot of them.
'Willamaa Seelik' was found in Estonia in 2009, and has bigger flowers, and also white in the leaves behind the flower.
I got the third Anemone from Hoy, it is very pretty with a contrast with pale blue flowers and darker foliage. I really like it.
'Lismore Blue' has the same colour in flowers but has paler green foliage.
The last pink one starts to flower white but the colour changes to pink as the flowers mature. This is also very good increaser and flowers well for me.

Mariette

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:42 PM »
Very lovely selections, Leena! Here in Germany bizarre double forms are very fashionable, but I like the effect of a well-rounded single form much better!

Leena

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Thank you Mariette.  :)
I also like semidoubles like 'Hilda' or 'Willamaa Seelik, and single forms better than Monstrosa types.
This Anemone trifolia is one of my favourites, it flowers later than others and is so pure white.  :) If only it's leaves were not so similar to ground elder, it would be perfect. :)
Ups, forgot the picture.

Mariette

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 09:16:36 PM »
You´re right, Leena, the surplus petals of the semidoubles add to the rounded effect of the flower. The double ones are quite different in appearance, though I like the tidy forms like ´Vestal´, too.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 05:07:58 AM »
Anemone coronaria is again the first to flower in our garden.
Originally raised from seed labelled "ex Iraq" we initially got white and purple blooms - last year a pinky-purple "amethyst" coloured one appeared
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
Two of the white flowered Anemone coronaria were open today.
The second one has a purple centre
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
Anemone heldreichii originally from Marcus Harvey and now self-seeding (gently!) in the rock garden
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »
Very impressed with this cerise Anemone coronaria grown from seed from Oron Peri's "Seeds of Peace" sown 24-03-2018, so just 18 months to bloom!
cheers
ferm
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal