We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2019  (Read 11126 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Paeonia 2019
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »
I understand that many species can cross pollinate anyway.

Yes, sometimes I don't know how I should call some of my seed grown peonies, many can be some kind of hybrids.
I have grown seedlings from my big P.anomala, and the first are flowering now, and it seems that they or at least some of them have had bee bring pollen from my P.veitchii (if it is true or not, I don't know), because the flower shape is similar to it more than to the mother P.anomala. And when I send seeds to the seed ex, the plants grown from them can also be hybrids.. or not.

Anyway, Gabriel, your P.officinalis is very nice, with extra petals! :)

The first is P.mollis which flowered already in the third week of May.
Second picture is P.officinalis ssp microcarpa flowering now.
Third is my P.veitchii in the end of flowering now, it starts pale pink and finishes almost white.
All these are low growing plants, height less than 50cm.
The last picture is 'Early Scout', a bit taller, maybe 60-70cm, and not very vigorous, but flowers are bright colour.
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Your P. veitchii looks very unusual, Leena. All I´ve seen till now had slightly nodding pink flowers. Maybe an interesting hybrid?

Leena

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
Yes, I think you are right and it may be a hybrid (but with what??), but it produces a lot of seeds so it is fertile (unlike Windflower-hybrids). It's flowers open more flat than P.anomala, and maybe true P.veitchii, so that is why I suspect it might be a hybrid.
It's flowers are nodding, but it grows in a slope and the picture was taken from down, so they don't look so nodding in the picture.
I have different shade in pinks in P.veitchii, some fade more than others. I also have seedlings which are supposed to be white from the beginning, I will see about that when they flower in a year or two.
P.veitchii is one of my favourites, because it is so healthy (P.officinalis and peregrina-types don't like my soil so much and get root diseases easily), and so some years ago I ordered seeds of it from Pilous. They were wild collected in three different locations, and also the seeds at that time looked different in size but not in shape or colour. So I'm looking forward to seeing if the plants are also different, but they don't flower yet this year.

GordonT

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »
Peony season is finally starting here in Nova Scotia. I delayed too long, to capture Paeonia daurica subsp. mlokosewitschii in bloom, but the next up is a first bloom seed grown plant of Paeonia rockii. I had hoped for blooms like those on Gerd's or Steve Garvie's plants.... but then this happened

646966-0

I bought this plant as a seedling, three years ago, at the local rare plant sale. They were initially grown by Kristl Walek, and had been handed to another grower when she returned to Ontario. Although it isn't the classic white  with wine-black markings, I am pretty happy with the result. At first bloom, it is carrying eight flowers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 03:06:50 PM by GordonT »
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »
While weeding the path adjacent to the raised bed in which Paeonia kesrouanensis grows I found a little seedling! Possibly from the previous year's seeding. Hopefully it will survive being replanted in a garden bed in another part of the garden,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Leena

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
Couple of peony pictures from May - early June. :)
First one is P.obovata, which always hides it's cup shaped flowers a bit among the foliage.
The next one is P. x chamaeleon (though grown from seeds which produces some almost white plants and one pink one, so I'm not sure how true it is, but a good plant anyway).
The last one I have gotten as P.wittmanniana. It flowers early, earlier than P.mlokosewitchii, has big creamy flowers held above bluish hairy foliage (flowers open more when the flowering is advanced). My favourite. :) It always produces seeds, but of course I'm not sure yet how true they will become, my seedlings from it are only one year old.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »
Our original plant of Paeonia kesrouanensis mascula subsp. russoi (see Hans J's message below) is now in flower, only 3 blooms this year - might need a bit more of a feed
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:39:28 PM by fermi de Sousa »
Victoria, Australia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »
I have seedlings from the 2016/2017 seed exchange.

2754  breeder black seed w. macrophylla

(the next offering was 2755 breeder brown seed w. lactiflora but I didn't receive those)

I am curious about the description.  I know of breeder tulips, but not breeder peonies.  And why differentiate between black seeds and brown seeds?

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Carolyn

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
Hi Diane,
I remember those seeds. The seedex was offered them by a paeony breeder who was doing various crosses and open pollinated ones too. Some hybrids produced brown seeds, some black. The breeder could not guarantee what the plants would turn out like, of course. It's quite exciting to grow these on and see what you get. I do hope you will post some photos when they flower.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
Our original plant of Paeonia kesrouanensis is now in flower, only 3 blooms this year - might need a bit more of a feed
cheers
fermi

Hi Fermi ,

sorry to say ...but your plant is not a P.kesrouanensis
Please look on the carpels !!!
P.kesrouanensis has glabrous one ...your plant seems to be a P.russoi
We have discus several times about this point ...please look in older postings
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=14017.msg364072#msg364072
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12230.msg312783#msg312783
Marcus was a really great plantsman ...but in this case he was wrong
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9417.msg254299#msg254299
I have seen on my travel in Turkey 2001 the real P.kesrouanensis ( near the border of Syria )
....and it looks really different
Sorry ...but I have only slides ...it was before digital picture time
Here is a good picture :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4975.msg146324#msg146324
Here is another information :
http://www.paeon.de/navigation/name_ke.html

I dont like to correct you ....but in this time it seems better
( before you give any material from this plant to other people )

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11409.msg314154#msg314154

All the best
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
Hi Hans,
I guess we now need to re-label this as Paeonia mascula subsp. russoi.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
Paeonia 'Coral Charm' which we got from Kaydale Lodge a couple of years ago.
First flowers opened a couple of days apart and the bloom fades to a soft peach/parchment before falling
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Leena

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
'Coral Charm' is a beautiful plant  :), and if you get 'Coral Sunset', I think it is even more desirable.

I sent some peony seeds to the seed ex, and thought to post pictures of plants the seeds were collected from.
I have grown early hybrid peonies with a name quadruple hybrids (because there are at least four different species mixed in them). Seeds from the mother plants have come to Finland from America more than twenty years ago, and I got seeds from these plants nine years ago. They flower in early part of June here, before lactifloras, and they are healthy and robust plants, with usually big flowers with one or two layers of petals. They are fertile, and most often produce seeds, but last September was very rainy here, and I didn't get as much seeds as usually.
Most of the flowers are different shades of pink or blush, also some are white or cream.

I also sent seeds from a hybrid called 'Pink Vanguard'. It is also a healthy tall plant with big flowers and flowers early in the season. Flowers are semidouble and very pale pink. It has interesting parents: 'Blushing Princess' x 'Salmon Dream'. 'Blushing Princess' is double, so there is a slight possibility that also offspring of PV can be double. The seeds are open pollinated, and close to PV I have growing another interesting hybrid 'Roy Pehrsson's Best Yellow' (though more cream than actual yellow), and both plants flower at the same time, so bees might have gone there too. :) I have lots of seedlings from PV growing from last year, so it is a good germinator, and I'm looking forward what the offspring is like. I didn't sow any of them now, but sent all the seeds to the seed ex.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »
They are lovely Leena, and good healthy-looking foliage on them.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
Kaydale  Gardens in Tasmania  are amazing  at any  time  of  year  - but this  event  is  just  around the  corner ....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal