We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Camassia vegetative propagation  (Read 1401 times)

majallison

Camassia vegetative propagation
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »
I'm wondering if it's possible to propagate named varieties of Camassia by chipping... waiting for natural increase is VERY slow, certainly my experience of the lovely variety 'Electra'. Does anyone have any experience/ suggestions?
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Camassia vegetative propagation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »
Worth a try, Malcolm - it  should work, I think!   Certainly  here  only the  white  C. leichtlinii persists  well, sowing  around  gently.  Other  colours  die out, not  multiplying at all  :-\ :-[ :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
I'm wondering if it's possible to propagate named varieties of Camassia by chipping... waiting for natural increase is VERY slow, certainly my experience of the lovely variety 'Electra'. Does anyone have any experience/ suggestions?
No experience but I was wondering that myself. I bought a single bulb of Electra and want lots... Ditto 'John Treasure' although I suspect this is not such a good garden plant. I've just tipped my Electra out as it has died back and it is still only a single bulb so I may experiment with Blue Candle of which I have more first this year...
Would be interested to hear how you get on.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

brianw

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:22:26 PM »
I find C. Electra increases readily in my heavy chalky soil. I bought some from Avon a some years back, and was given a clump 2 years ago and now have 40 or more. A super plant with quite long lasting flowers, much larger than species I have growing elsewhere in the garden. Seemed to attract some metallic coloured beetles this year.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

majallison

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »
I will have a go at chipping 'Electra'... I've only a couple of bulbs, but I'm curious. I think 'Electra' might be a triploid... it's much larger than any other varieties I've seen & it doesn't seem to set seed...
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal