We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Colchicum & relatives 2020  (Read 12132 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Colchicum & relatives 2020
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
On Sunday I went to Felbrigg Hall. They used to have the collection there but I'd heard that they were no longer interested so went with low expectations but it was delightful. The naked ladies (Amaryllis belladonna) were at their peak blooming and absolutely gorgeous. (I've posted a couple of pictures on the Amaryllis thread).
They no longer have any of the more unusual colchicums but there are a lot of hybrids remaining in the walled garden;
673463-0

and I was delighted to see the colchicum are naturalising in rough grass between the walled garden and the orangery.

673465-1

673467-2
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 05:44:22 PM »
The collection;

Oh dear, that's  a  bit  of  a  mess, isn't  it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »
Both are very interesting, Yann - does the C. speciosum always show more than 6 tepals?

No this year the bulb has 7 previous season it was 6. It can be nematodes that affect the bulbs, it's a known "problem" with dafoddils.
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2020, 07:57:49 PM »
and I was delighted to see the colchicum are naturalising in rough grass between the walled garden and the orangery.

Darling may i cut the lawn...of Colchicums  ;D will ask the husband
North of France

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 04:37:42 PM »
Thank you Gail for the pictures of the collections. :)
Do you know the name of the last one in previous page? I have one very much like it, I got it without a name so it must be something common. It is darker than my C.autumnale, and also the flower is a little bigger (but not as big as in hybrids). It is in the first picture.
The second picture is 'Autumn Herald' which is one of the best for me, and it increases well. Gail, what does the Colchicum book say about the origin of 'Autumn Herald'? I'm interested because it is so good, and it even produces seeds (if winter is not too hard).
I have bought mine from Janis maybe 10 or more years ago.
'William Dykes' is also a prolific one here.
Leena from south of Finland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 05:21:34 PM »
Do you know the name of the last one in previous page? I have one very much like it, I got it without a name so it must be something common. It is darker than my C.autumnale, and also the flower is a little bigger (but not as big as in hybrids). It is in the first picture.
The second picture is 'Autumn Herald' which is one of the best for me, and it increases well. Gail, what does the Colchicum book say about the origin of 'Autumn Herald'? I'm interested because it is so good, and it even produces seeds (if winter is not too hard).
Sorry Leena, the last one was one of those with no visible label.
Interestingly of Autumn Herald the book says "This selection is a mid-season cultivar with good weather resistance. There is a particularly good stand of it at East Ruston Old Vicarage garden". Raised by W.E.Th. Ingwersen, mid 20th century but parentage is not recorded.
I shall have to return and see if it has emerged.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Leena

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »
Interestingly of Autumn Herald the book says "This selection is a mid-season cultivar with good weather resistance. There is a particularly good stand of it at East Ruston Old Vicarage garden". Raised by W.E.Th. Ingwersen, mid 20th century but parentage is not recorded.

Thank you Gail.  :) Here it always comes up in mid September and flowers well two to four weeks (depending if there are hard frosts). It is not the earliest I have, and not a late one either. It is very similar to 'Glory of Heemstede', but it comes up earlier than GoH. :)

Leena

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2020, 05:43:35 PM »
Here is another picture of 'Autumn Herald', taken today (the previous picture was last week).
And another one of the nameless Colchicum.

Leena

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »
One more.  :) In the first picture the paler coloured Colchicum closer is 'William Dykes' and behind the path is 'Emerald Town'.
'Emerald Town' is one of Leonid Bondarenko's cultivars and the most striking Colchicum I have. It is quite early, and it's colour stands out. I planted one bulb in 2017 and now it has formed a clump. :)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2020, 08:54:54 PM »
Here it's still summer, today 27°C and not a water drop in the air...

Colchicum cilicicum enjoy the sun while Colchicum cupanii suffered from the drought, in some of my pots flowers dried before blooming.
North of France

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
One week ago I received my parcel from Leonid Bondarenko. I had ordered in July, paid with paypal and heard nothing about my order until it finally arrived to my surprise. Here is Colchicum 'Poseidon' from him, already in full flower some days later.

673783-0

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 03:54:18 PM by Thomas Seiler »
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Leena

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2020, 07:56:57 AM »
I also have 'Poseidon' from Leonid, planted some years ago. It is a good Colchicum and multiplies well. It has not come up this year, it is one of the latest Colchicums I have, but it can stand frost quite well. :)

Here it's still summer, today 27°C and not a water drop in the air...

Here it is also unusually warm considering it is now almost end of September. Days are around +15 and next week end it is predicted even +20C! There hasn't been night frosts yet, though one night was +2C.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
Another one just received from Leonid and flowering at once:  'Jarka', a bicolour one, a bit similar to 'Harlekijn', introduced by Janis in 1992
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

ArnoldT

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2020, 02:24:22 AM »
Finally a sunny day.  Some of the Colchicum collection some with names others labels long gone.

Colchicum cilicicum with purple tipped anthers.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »
Colchicum laetum hort. which is now, according to the new book, Colchicum 'Pink Star'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal