We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2020  (Read 17288 times)

SJW

Re: Cyclamen 2020
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:30 AM »
Here in Adelaide South Australia we are 180° out of sync in our seasons and Cyclamen are waking up from summer dormancy. I was given a few pots of seedlings by a fellow enthusiast last spring, some of them sans labels. Can anyone tell me what this could be? My initial thought was persicum, but maybe graecum? No sign of flower buds at this stage which will help to clear it up.
I think persicum from the 'look' of the leaf but flowering period will obviously confirm which it is.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 04:09:34 AM »
Thanks SJW, I think I'll just have to be patient and wait for flowers.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »
Cyclamen repandum.

I've struggled with this in the greenhouse and never got it to flower and it has rarely looked as if it was going to survive. A couple of years ago I moved out into the garden and it is spreading nicely.

664796-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »
I think I have only one Cyclamen repandum doing well in the greenhouse this year. C. rhodium peloponnesiacum and C. rhodium vividum are looking good.  The white one is Cyclamen creticum

Cyclamen rhodium peloponnesiacum

Cyclamen creticum

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »
This Cyclamen repandum was overrun by Zauschneria garrettii a few years ago.  It has thrived, putting out lots of seedlings.  I guess this just shows that plants grow where they want, even though it wouldn't be a spot I'd pick for them.
665238-0
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »
Cyclamen rhodium peloponnesiacum

Roma does your plants is from seeds? Very nice foliage not often seen in the wild.
North of France

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 03:08:09 PM »
Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum from Rock Garden Club seed received Jan 2013. I recall that 6 seeds germinated, three I have in pots; first image is the best one I think. The other three I planted out in the garden, in dappled shade. Two have now survived three 'winters' here, planted quite deeply and with just a little mulch. Leaves get a bit moth eaten as time goes by but one of the remainers flowers quite well. I expect a hard winter might see the end of these, but I'll enjoy them whilst I can. Maybe this species is hardier than we are led to believe??

The third image is of Cyclamen persicum ex Israel, also from SRGC seed.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:10:32 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Roma

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 03:56:31 PM »
Yann, my Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum was grown from Cyclamen society seed - 2nd generation from CSE wild collected plant.  Seed was sown in 2003.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2020, 08:34:53 AM »
Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum from Rock Garden Club seed received Jan 2013. I recall that 6 seeds germinated, three I have in pots; first image is the best one I think. The other three I planted out in the garden, in dappled shade. Two have now survived three 'winters' here, planted quite deeply and with just a little mulch. Leaves get a bit moth eaten as time goes by but one of the remainers flowers quite well. I expect a hard winter might see the end of these, but I'll enjoy them whilst I can. Maybe this species is hardier than we are led to believe??

During winter temperatures can drop down 2-3°c in south of Greece and dodecanese islands, until it's not frozen under 5°c no problem with the bulbs. 
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
Yann, my Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum was grown from Cyclamen society seed - 2nd generation from CSE wild collected plant.  Seed was sown in 2003.
thanks Roma
North of France

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
Two colour variants of Cyclamen repandum - seem to have no problems outside here

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Roma

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
Cyclamen purpurascens is starting to flower and Cyclamen colchicum is not far behind.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
An early starter here, maybe I should blame the weather? Cyclamen hederifolium f. albiflorum

671165-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 07:08:45 AM »
A friend of mine always lamented the first Cyclamen hederifolium because it meant the end of summer - I would be the opposite in our climate! I no longer bemoan the winter because it means the fire season (here at least) is over.

Cyclamen elegans in a pot in the garden.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
First of the Cyclamen persicum in the garden to flower
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal