We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2020  (Read 16295 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2020
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
Anthony Darby on Facebook showed  his  C. persicum in his  Aukland  garden ......

"This morning, just before heading to school. Cyclamen persicum from Rhodes at the back and Jordan at the front."

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »
Cyclamen persicum flowering in the rockery in East Auckland. The larger one is from Rhodes seed, the other from Jordan. Two single tubers from seed kindly sent by Hans Joschko.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2020, 02:21:13 PM »
Congratulation Anthony !!!

Nice to see your  pretty plants from my seeds

Hans :)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Roma

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile  - very early this year

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »
Roma, I have one that has been flowering for around ten days now but haven’t had a chance to picture it yet. As you say, very early.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carolyn

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »
I found a whole tray full of mirabile in full flower under the greenhouse bench (unwatered) at the start of August. Very early indeed. I wonder if it was the cool nights In July (8C in my greenhouse) which triggered flowering?
Also, in the garden, my first C. hederifolium came into flower on 2nd June, following a brief shower of rain. It had been so dry and warm from March - June that the poor plants must have thought the rain meant autumn. The cold and the rain of July brought all the rest into flower. I would post some photos if  could, but apparently my files are always too big (sigh).
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
I would post some photos if  could, but apparently my files are always too big (sigh).
Oh Carolyn, I do not  know  why  you  have  this problem. I do occasionally have  such a  hiccup but  by  and  large  the  system will post  photos  of  just  abut  any  size  without  "complaint". The  other  day I was  posting  pix from elsewhere  for  a  member  and  I posted  a  whole string  of  large  size  images  without  bother. Suddenly  the  system decided to "change  its  mind"  and baulked  at any  larger  than 200kb.  Irritating? Yes, but  I  used the  simple  resizing  element  I have  on my  ancient  ACDSee programme  and   then loaded the  pix as  usual.  It  really  didn't  take  very  long and  the  end  result  is  that the  photos are  there  in the  forum as  a  lasting  record.
I am far  from being  a  computer  whizz and  the  programme  I use  for  photo sizing  etc is, in computer  terms, almost  antediluvian, so no fancy knowledge  or  equipment  is  needed. 
As  previously  stated, it  seems  the  best  way to load  photos  is  using  the  attachimg route  = inline  full size  image
Of  course, there  will be internet  connection changes/interruptions from time  to time - depending  on the  service  in  a  given area or  time,  and  often these  are  so minimal   as  to  pass un-noticed  generally, but  they  do occur, I am reliably  informed, so I do hope that  people  will  not  be  deterred  and  will make  that extra  effort, should  it  be  needed, to support the  forum fully.

672018-0
As  an  example, this  photo is  6.84 MB and  was  loaded  with no resizing
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:17:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
Last summer I planted several C.purpurascens corms in different places in the garden to see where they would like it most.
All survived the winter well and now most are flowering.  :) I'm so happy about these, and hope they will grow bigger in time.
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »
Cyclamen graecum ssp. candicum, a Creten species, from seed kindly sent to me by Tony Willis a few years ago now, and sown 2011.

672751-0

672753-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2020, 12:47:43 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile again from seed provided by Tony Willis

672755-0

672757-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile 'Tilebarn Nicholas'.  A bit on the dark side, sorry. Flowers coming towards their end now but the leaves are nice.

672759-0

672761-1

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2020, 12:55:07 PM »
A light form of Cyclamen cilicium from SRGC Exchange seed sown eons ago!

672763-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 08:00:12 PM »
Purpurascens Alba

Planted out last Fall, 2019. Flowers damaged by rain.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »
Cyclamens are a sure value in any garden, 2 years ago i plantes several graecum in a south corner, bulbs are now twice the size they were and not damage with the winter rains.
North of France

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium and a very dark one.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal