We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2020  (Read 16088 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Cyclamen 2020
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:58 AM »
Herman, what a nice cyclamen flowering you have, and a lot of them!
Here first C.purpurascens started to flower in early August, and still there are flowers in some of them. It seems that some of them start to flower later than others.
C.hederifolium has not been hardy in my garden, but C.purpurascens is, I'm so happy about that!

Leena  - C. hederifolium is not dependable long term here either.  Our very wet winters which are often combined with long streches of ice bound corms are not at all to its liking.  In the 1980s it seeded about all over but one brutally icy winter wiped all but the original out & the latter big corm took 7 years to reappear.

I too am very happy C. purpuracens is so dependable and prolific.

johnw

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

goofy

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
Grandpappy Cyclamen africanum which I grew from seed from the 1985 Cyclamen Society Seedex.  The pots is 60cm wide and the corm touches the rim.  Carefree and a reliable bloomer which appecriates being outdoors for the autumn.

johnw

hi johnw,

GREAT. UNBELIEVABLE - 60cm diameter?!?

have fun
goofy

goofy

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »
A couple of mixed pots.  The first one was labelled parviflorum subalpinum and appears to be mainly coum with a couple of persicum.
Seed was from the Cyclamen Society sown in November 2017.

(Attachment Link)

The second is labelled cilicium.  I think some are cilicium but there's also coum there.

(Attachment Link)

hi Roma,
I think, most of them are C. coum.

btw I send an PM, but not yet a reply???

thanks
goofy

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
Cyclamen purpurascens is still going on.

Cyclamen hederifolium ssp crassifolium
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Cyclamen intaminatum f. roseum and the normal Cyclamen intaminatum
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
Cyclamen mirabile f. niveum

Cyclamen cilicium
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
Leena  - C. hederifolium is not dependable long term here either.  Our very wet winters which are often combined with long streches of ice bound corms are not at all to its liking.  In the 1980s it seeded about all over but one brutally icy winter wiped all but the original out & the latter big corm took 7 years to reappear.
I too am very happy C. purpuracens is so dependable and prolific.

John, thanks for your experience with C.hederifolium. I think it is the same here.
Herman, Cyclamen seem really to enjoy your garden!

C.purpurascens is still flowering, picture last week.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2020, 10:01:43 AM »
John, thanks for your experience with C.hederifolium. I think it is the same here.
Herman, Cyclamen seem really to enjoy your garden!

C.purpurascens is still flowering, picture last week.
Yes Leena, most cyclamen are here growing well and they are a good combination with the Hepatica's and Trillium.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
Yes Leena, most cyclamen are here growing well and they are a good combination with the Hepatica's and Trillium.

Cyclamen and Hepaticas tolerate summer dry well at least here. In your experience can also Trilliums grow well in a bed with summer dry? My experience is still quite limited, so I have Trilliums only in more moist bed, but they would look good with Hepaticas and Cyclamen:).

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Cyclamen and Hepaticas tolerate summer dry well at least here. In your experience can also Trilliums grow well in a bed with summer dry? My experience is still quite limited, so I have Trilliums only in more moist bed, but they would look good with Hepaticas and Cyclamen:).
Leena, I don't work with beds.
A part of the garden is in the shade of our house and only get the morning sun. The other places are filled with shrubs that have no leaves in the winter. On the soil is a lot of humus. Normally our soil keeps rather moist. There is also a difference in humidity near the stem  or further away. Cyclamen like mirabile, intaminatum, graecum stands a bit dryer then the others. On this places stands: Erytronium, Trillium, Hepatica, Eranthis, Cyclamen, Galanthus, Ferns, Adonis, Leucojum... . In full summer there are leaves on all the shrubs, so the soil stays cooler. When the Trilliums are flowering and it is a long dry period, then I need to give them water or they are going in early dormant. Asiatic Trilliums love to stand more moist.
Pictures from the garden are from April.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Herman, thank you for the pictures of the places where Hepaticas and other plants grow so well in your garden. Most of these plants I have grown only for a few years, 7 or 8 at the most and Cyclamen only for couple of years, so it is still trial and error for me to find good places for them where they would thrive:).
Here are some pictures of the place where I have found that Hepaticas, snowdrops, crocus and Helleborus seem to grow well, and last year I planted also Cyclamen (seed grown coum and bigger purpurascens-corms). This place is summer dry because of big trees around it which suck all the moist from the ground, and soil is sandy which I have made better with lots of humus, compost and leaf mold. It gets a lot of sun in late autumn and spring but in the summer it is in shade. In the last picture is the spot around the apple tree where I have planted Hepatica japonica and H.pubescens, and now Cyclamen (and some new smaller snowdrops last summer). I don't know yet if it will be a good place, but at least my own seed grown H.japonica have grown there now for five years even through one bad winter, and that is why I thought it might be good for also others:). So far my few Trilliums grow in other part of the garden which is more moist, but maybe I could try some also here.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »
Herman, thank you for the pictures of the places where Hepaticas and other plants grow so well in your garden. Most of these plants I have grown only for a few years, 7 or 8 at the most and Cyclamen only for couple of years, so it is still trial and error for me to find good places for them where they would thrive:).
Here are some pictures of the place where I have found that Hepaticas, snowdrops, crocus and Helleborus seem to grow well, and last year I planted also Cyclamen (seed grown coum and bigger purpurascens-corms). This place is summer dry because of big trees around it which suck all the moist from the ground, and soil is sandy which I have made better with lots of humus, compost and leaf mold. It gets a lot of sun in late autumn and spring but in the summer it is in shade. In the last picture is the spot around the apple tree where I have planted Hepatica japonica and H.pubescens, and now Cyclamen (and some new smaller snowdrops last summer). I don't know yet if it will be a good place, but at least my own seed grown H.japonica have grown there now for five years even through one bad winter, and that is why I thought it might be good for also others:). So far my few Trilliums grow in other part of the garden which is more moist, but maybe I could try some also here.
Leena, beautiful pictures! There is a lot of moss to see, so I should think it is moist enough to try some Trilliums. Hepatica japonica and pubescens are not growing well in our garden, they disappear after a few years. It is not always easy to find the best spot for a plant. When a lot of seedlings appear then they are on the right place. Sometimes it depends on a few meters in the garden, but that is the big challenge!
Belgium

goofy

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
hi,
"funny" to see, that there are
ONLY TWO Cyclamen LOVERS IN THE FORUM.

VERY SAD  ;D

cheers
goofy

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2020, 06:04:03 PM »
hi,
"funny" to see, that there are
ONLY TWO Cyclamen LOVERS IN THE FORUM.
I'm pretty sure that is not true - this topic has had more than 6,000 views...

These were attracting a lot of attention at Wisley yesterday;
675872-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

ArnoldT

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
Two different Cyclamen hederifolium.

One grown inside the cool greenhouse and one outside under a Medlar tree in an ivy bed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:37:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal