We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Slug control that I use, it is inexpensive and is safe for pets  (Read 2878 times)

CRSHEP0

Slug control that I use, it is inexpensive and is safe for pets
« on: February 19, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
I have a neighbor, who has a neglected yard, and slugs that migrate under, through and around a wooden fence.  I have been using Epsom Salts,(Magnesium Sulfate) as a broadcast of crystals, as a deterrent, and it is working well.  I do not think this kills them, because there are no carcasses to inspect and remove (which I do at night).  It is definitely been a deterrent, as the last two weeks, no more.  I am not recommending this for alpines, as I am not sure what it would do with PH or could counter some of the nitrogen uptake. 

If anyone knows if this could be used on alpines, please let me know.  Thank you.
Cecile 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Slug control that I use, it is inexpensive and is safe for pets
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53:24 PM »
Epsom Salt can be  used  to remedy  a  magnesium deficiency  in  Rhododendrons  and  other  ericaceae. I believe the  same  goes  for   other  plants  which suffer  from that  problem.
Possible  to have  too much of  a  good thing, of  course  -  too much magnesium can cause deficiencies in the other nutrients in the soil such as calcium and potassium.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WSGR

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:35 AM »
Coffee grounds and a bit of chilli powder might do the trick. If you have a bonfire, scatter the burnt remains will also help. Once I had a huge bonfire and for 2 years, no lugs or snail on that patch.  Mindful of your plants though. Or buy the cheapest beer and pour it in various containers!

WSGR

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 06:55:29 AM »
Epsom salt is good for plants and even lawn. You will see better plants and flowers if used appropriately, and stronger plants are less vulnerable.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
Coffee grounds are the way to go, also stops cats as they don't like walking on it  But don't use it as a pesticide use it as a mulch. 
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »
Chili will probably have no effect on slugs. The capsaicin repceptor is found in mammals (=only mammals feel the pain), not found in birds that are actually supposed to eat the chili to disperse the seeds. Tried chili extract on aphids with absolutely no effect. Spreading cucumber slices dipped in nematodes did reduce the slug populations in my garden, especially when combined with scissors to "treat" the survivors.

Anders

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal