We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scooping and scoring  (Read 803 times)

Mattb

Scooping and scoring
« on: March 01, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
I’m wondering which genera and species can be propagated via scooping and scoring.

I can find a heap of information about propagation via these methods for Narcissus and also Hyacinth, but no other genera. Since they’re not even even in the same family (Amaryllidaceae and Asparagaceae, respectively) surely there must be other relatives this would work on?

Has anyone read anything about this or had any success here?
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Arum

• Edna's page
Re: Scooping and scoring
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 03:53:24 AM »
Hi Matt
There are many bulbs that can be successfully scooped & scored. A few being Allium, Crinum, Eucomis, Fritillaria, Hippeastrum. I have tried it out & practiced on the usual - Narcissus & hyacinths - & have had success with the large Fritillaria Imperialis some years ago. A very rewarding experience.
Regards Edna
Edna Parkyn  Christchurch "The Garden City" New Zealand

CRSHEP0

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:14:26 AM »
What is scooping and scoring? Cecile

Mattb

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »
A few being Allium, Crinum, Eucomis, Fritillaria, Hippeastrum. I have tried it out & practiced on the usual - Narcissus & hyacinths - & have had success with the large Fritillaria Imperialis some years ago.

Thanks for the response, Edna. You had me at Allium and Frit! I would love to try it on my Allium ‘Globemaster’. Can I ask what species of allium you tried? And if you had any tips?

Cheers,
Matt

Mattb

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:32:22 AM »
What is scooping and scoring? Cecile

Hi Cecile,

It’s a novel method of propagation. I tried to find some info here on SRGC to link to but couldn’t, so here is a useful link elsewhere on the web:

https://irrecenvhort.ifas.ufl.edu/plant-prop-glossary/07-geophytes/01-bulbs/09-geophytes-scooping.html

Cheers,
Matt

Arum

• Edna's page
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:06:26 AM »
Hi Matt
Sorry I cannot remember which allium is was I worked on but it would have been one of the larger species. It is not a difficult thing to do, really a lot of fun. Just follow the instructions and practice makes perfect. the most important thing in all this type of propagation is the hygiene, because one can loose all to bacteria.  Gloves, wiping down all bench surfaces with Meths, including the knife as you make your cuts. I use natural fungicide "Flower's of Sulphur" for dusting all plant wounds. Good luck.
This is quite a good source of information -
Make more spring flowering bulbs - Amateur Gardening
www.amateurgardening.com

Regards Edna
Edna Parkyn  Christchurch "The Garden City" New Zealand

CRSHEP0

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 04:13:09 AM »
Thank you so much for your response. Cecile

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal