We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020  (Read 15253 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Re: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »
Viola cornuta.  I'm not sure how it came into my garden.  It never bloomed much (I thought) until this year, when I put wire around the flower bed to keep out the rabbits.  I now realize how much it has spread and needs to be controlled a bit.  There is now a white form in bloom too.  I never knew!
669127-0
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »

4. The Australian Wahlenbergia gloriosa is quite vigorous, forming a dense mat from underground runners.

5. Geranium argenteum looks at its best in rainy weather, when the water-repellent leaves appear particularly silvery.

Great blue  on the  Wahlenbergia - and  what's  not  to love  about  "diamond  encrusted" plants?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »
Claire...Gorgeous colors and shapes.  Wonderful.  😍

Dianthus callizonus
Eriogonum heracleoides

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
From the sunny side.
Sedum spathulifolium 'Cape Blanco'

Polygala major

Stachys lavandulifolia

Dianthus petraeus

Salvia nutans
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Great blue  on the  Wahlenbergia - and  what's  not  to love  about  "diamond  encrusted" plants?!!

The Wahlenbergia is also an insect magnet, especially bees and hover flies, and today I saw this jewel-like flower beetle on it, Oedemera nobilis.
669157-0

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »
Some things flowering today.
1. Campanula choruhensis, from AGS seed 2016/2017.
669159-0
2. Delphinium kamaonense, from SRGC seed 2018/2019. It flowered the first year, this is the second flowering, a few months earlier.
669161-1
3. Dracocephalum nodulosum, an easy evergreen species for a dry sunny spot, with highly aromatic leaves.
669163-2
4. Cistus ocymoides 'Susan', more often called Halimium ocymoides 'Susan'. The flowers last only one day but new ones open every day for a few weeks.
669165-3
5. Salvia albimaculata, a Turkish species.
669167-4

Leucogenes

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Two "representatives" from the Greek Chelmos Mountains...  Globularia stygia and Teucrium aroanium (whose flowers I find very interesting and bizarre)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
Andre- some nice selections, I esp like the Geranium argenteum and the beetle!
Claire- tricky to get a balance between plants that spread themselves pleasingly vs taking over...lol
Gabriela-- nice Sedum-- it hung on for me for a few years then faded away :(
Luc-- I agree-- very interesting flowers on the Teucrium :)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
Now that June is half over, with a huge backlog of photos already, I'm *nearly* finished with May ;)
1- Eriogonum ovalifolium var depressum looking nice in a bit of spring sun-- from May 05-- it is flowering now..
2-3-- some Hepatica nobilis from garden seed, from Trond, I think (I believe there is a solid argument to subsume this genus in Anemone, along with other groups like Pulsatilla-- the fact is that along the continuum of various characteristics within the larger genus, there is no clear demarcation between these genera and other related species.. but for now, for horticultural purposes, I'll hang on to these familiar names). I could swear one of these plants had deep pink flowers last year.....
4 Primula elatior-- this grew from one rather modest piece from a Polish friend, but has formed a nice clump over a few years, and has seedlings around it as well... I have some additional plants along moist areas of a rock garden that may be from scattered seeds of this (to be honest, I thought they were seedlings of some very different Primula and was bemused when they began flowering this year, I thought I'd had mis-labelled seed, but then thought perhaps they grew from seed i sowed in situ from this elatior, which is a happier possibility! (wondering about the other still, and hoping I may yet see some pink Primulas in my garden!).
I especially like the soft yellow-- I hardly scorn bright yellow flowers, but the soft, creamy ones are always especially pleasing to me! It flowers here together with Anemone nemorosa and ranunculoides, and is larger than those, forming some nice vignettes if planted near/together..

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »
Dierama trichorhizum
Claire Cockcroft

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2020, 10:57:13 PM »
Delphinium pavonaceum
It is a little squished in a cage to prevent varmints from eating it.
Claire Cockcroft

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2020, 07:31:59 PM »
Couple of pictures from woodland beds last week. Allium ursinum has spread all over the moist corner, but it goes well with other bigger plants and disappears later in the summer.
Primula sieboldii is flowering right now, I love them, especially the blue shades. Fritillaria camtschatcensis also likes this spot.
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
nice flowers everyone!!!
Dodecatheon media album flowering now
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leucogenes

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
Sedum lanceolatum...from the Big Horn Mts. in Wyoming...1800 Meter (sown in 2018).  Feels with his 3 centimeters in a crevice in my Alpinum visibly comfortable.

😉

Knud

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2020, 10:59:39 PM »
I have been away some days, and when I returned I found my 20-some year old Ramonda myconi in full bloom. It has been in it current position since 2004, in a north-facing crack between two rocks, under airy, deciduous bushes; I do not think it sees any direct sun.
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal