We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020  (Read 14193 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »
From the sunny side.

Seems appropriate! Gabriela has  new seeds  on  her  list ....  Click HERE  and  HERE   :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:55:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
Bog Pimpernel, Anagallis tenella.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
Sedum lanceolatum...from the Big Horn Mts. in Wyoming...1800 Meter (sown in 2018).  Feels with his 3 centimeters in a crevice in my Alpinum visibly comfortable.

A favourite--I've seen it in the wild occasionally, but not recently, haven't been to the right places..
Claire-- the Dierama is very sweet..
Kris-- nice Dode..
Leena-- interesting woodland beds..

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
Cistus laurifolius gives a short presentation and
Thymus serpyllum - a low growing variety found decades ago at Vellern/Western Germany

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
1. Blackstonia perfoliata. This strange annual or biennual member of the Gentianaceae is a British native. I sprinkled the tiny seeds on bare soil in September 2019 and noticed germination by November. From April 2020 the seedlings started growing quite fast. Each plant has a single stem and the starry flowers only open in sunshine (edit: This is not quite true. It seems that the flowers close in the afternoon regardless of the weather and they will usually open in the morning, unless it is really wet and cold). In the wild it grows on calcareous soil but this does not appear to be a necessity in cultivation.
669349-0
669351-1
2. Gentiana septemfida. I have bought this common species in the past as G. altaica and G. sikokiana and the plant here shown is from the SRGC seedlist 2017/2018, where it was listed as G. calycosa. This is the first flower, which opened today.
669353-2
3. Silene sieboldii, a Japanese woodlander also known as Lychnis sieboldii.
669355-3
4. Spiraea morrisonicola, a dwarf species from Taiwan. First flowering from seed, ex SRGC seedlist 2018/2019.
669357-4
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:36:09 PM by Andre Schuiteman »

Knud

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
I have a Sorbus cf wilsoniana, could in theory flower in the next few years, time will tell if berries are other than orange..

Cohan, I do not know the S. wilsoniana, but according to H. McAllister's book its close relative S. sargentiana has orange-red fruits, and both have 'brilliant autumn colouration', so even with the fruits gone you are in for a treat.
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »
Asperula gussonii
Probably white form of Scutellaria alpina
Convolvulus boissieri ssp. suendermannii
Calylophus lavandulifolius
Potentilla dickinsii

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »
Lovely plants Zdenek. I'm just trying to improve my selection of later flowering alpines so I shall be looking for some of these.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2020, 01:25:02 PM »
Good deep colour on the  Asperula gussonii, Zdenek. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
Papaver triniifolium

Oenother acaulis - when I saw Zdenek's Calylophus lavandufolius I thought he'd beaten me to a picture of Oenothera but I see the leaves are completely different.  Is it the same family?  Picture was taken at 10. 15 pm.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »
Oenother acaulis - when I saw Zdenek's Calylophus lavandufolius I thought he'd beaten me to a picture of Oenothera but I see the leaves are completely different.  Is it the same family?

Calylophus lavandulifolia is also called Oenothera lavandulifolia. In fact, the latter is the accepted name on the Plants of the World Online website (http://powo.science.kew.org/).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:47:16 PM by Andre Schuiteman »

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2020, 07:21:55 AM »
Leena-- interesting woodland beds..

Thank you. :)

Dodecatheon media album flowering now

That is really pretty, it lights up shade. :)

I sowed two Tulipa sprengeri from seed ex in 2014 and the one on the right flowered already last year, it was labeled T.sprengeri. The one on the left with two flowers is flowering now for the first time and it was T.sprengeri ex Kazakstan. It is slightly darker red, and bigger flowers but that maybe the bulbs are bigger or something like that. I really like these both! They are growing in too shade under a big hybrid peony, the peony is in the list to be moved. :)

Trillium luteum is still flowering. I noticed yesterday when I looked at older pictures that is has increased: in 2014 it had only two flower stems, now there are more.  :) I have never gotten seeds from it, I don't know why.
Leena from south of Finland

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2020, 11:58:36 AM »
The one on the left with two flowers is flowering now for the first time and it was T.sprengeri ex Kazakstan.
That is hardly possible, since Tulipa sprengeri was originally described from Turkey and is presumed extinct in the wild.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
That is hardly possible, since Tulipa sprengeri was originally described from Turkey and is presumed extinct in the wild.

Hmm, it was in 2013/14 seed list number 4331 as such. I don't know any more about it. Maybe the person who donated the seeds was from Kazakhstan, but I don't think it would have been written down as ex then..
Anyway, I'm very happy about it because it is such beautiful and bright colour. :)
Leena from south of Finland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
Leena  - If not too late it would be a good idea to cross the two Kazakstan sprengeris. Hope you can track down the donor and do a little interrogation.  Not the first time an extinct plant was rediscovered!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal