We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hippeastrum 2008  (Read 25702 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Hippeastrum 2008
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »
I have the following Rhodophiala but have never had them bloom; long skinny bulbs. How do you grow them and get them to bloom?  I have been shy with the fertilizer and mulch the long necks with gravel (in cool greenhouse).

Rhodophiala araucana cw - Archibald #95-144277
Rhodophiala advena - NARGS #97-5410

johnw

Hans  - You may be interested ..... spotted today and what a wait. These will get selfed immediately. I notice the pot is bulging so the bulbs must no longer be skinny - a common age problem I guess.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:49:02 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »
 :o :o :o
John : first flowers after 12 years ?
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »
:o :o :o
John : first flowers after 12 years ?
Better late than never, eh?  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »
Maggi ,

it is depending how old we are  ::)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »
Maggi ,

it is depending how old we are  ::)
The late, great grower, Harold Esslemont, was still sowing frit seed in his eighties........ be brave, Hans, hope costs nothing!  ;) 8) 8) :D

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
That species flowered for me after about 5 years of neglect, and I specify neglect.  It would have been quicker I'd think if it wasn't left to it's own devices in the seed pot for far too long!  ::)  BUT, that is in my case, and in my climate..... which does actually suit Rhodophiala rather well with it's hot and dry summers etc.

John,

I'll be interested to see what the flowers on yours end up looking like.  The couple of mine that have flowered were quite variable, so it will be interesting to see what yours end up looking like.  No idea whether mine were correct or not.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 02:21:07 AM »
Paul -  It was a stinking hot day here. We got to 29-30c on the coast. I was 25 km inland where it was 34c and 5km beyond that I sped through an area at 38c.  The Rhodophiala auracana seems to love it as the flower is progressing rapidly and already showing a good strong yellow. Impossible to get a sharp photograph.

Hans  - I see a bud coming on the other Rhodophiala elwesii, a pale yellow which I will self. Its sibling is quite over after today's temperatures.

johnw
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:46:56 PM by Maggi Young »

johnw

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
The Rhodophiala auracana opened this morning. Certainly looks like one of the other R. elwesii ex GBG but the colour is a bit stronger.

johnw

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Very nice.  Not at all like what I had under that name, which were a red and white combination (as I think I mentioned previously, I never attempted to verify whether they were correct or not).  I do like that strong yellow.  Very, very nice.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
Very nice.  Not at all like what I had under that name, which were a red and white combination (as I think I mentioned previously, I never attempted to verify whether they were correct or not).  I do like that strong yellow.  Very, very nice.  8)

Hans  - The second Rhodophiala elwesii bloomed today, a pale yellow. I will self it and cross it with its salmon/yellow sibling.

Seeds have already ripened (?) on Hipppeastrum striatum. At least I think they have. There's nothing discernible in the large flat black seeds. Is this normal?  Quite alot of them, so if anyone wants some - provided I get an ok on their viability  - I can send with the Clivia seeds.

johnw

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
John, Hans is away on holiday until the end of July.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:14:25 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2008, 07:42:53 PM »
John, Hans is away on holiday until the end of July.
And to think Mark says I know everything that is going on, David!! :o 8)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
Well, nearly everything Maggi! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the reminder David. Hans had told me that too. Am sure he will see the picture when he returns.

johnw

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
John,

Love that second yellow Rhodophiala too.  Lovely clean colour to it as well.  That salmon sibling is pretty impressive as well.

What are the leaves on your Hippeastrum striatum like?  Does it have a wide or thin stripe on the leaf, and what colour (white or yellow)?  Apparently there is some variability.  As to seed viability.... usually there should be evidence of an embryo in the centre of the seed, but sometimes it is not that clear cut.  Not quite the answer you were looking for I guess.  You could always try floating a few seeds on the surface of a glass of water.  I have found that the embryos become much more obvious as they tend to swell as they absorb water. Again though, I would imagine it would depend on the individual species, and I haven't even grown striata.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal