We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iran 2008  (Read 36715 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Iran 2008
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
On the road between Marivan and Sanandaj, there is a mosque.  You would think that mosques would be in every village, as is the case in Turkey, but they are very few.  This one has a very old copy of the Koran, and when I was here in 2005, the Imam rushed out to ask if we could help to get back 2 pages of the Koran that are in the British Library.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:51:37 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
Just outside of Sanandaj there is a hill.  In the good times i.e. a normal season, there were many goodies.  This year the climb reminded me of the film 'The Hill' where soldiers were forced to climb a manufactured hill in full gear, including a large rucksack.
This is me with our guide, at the top, explaining that I had not expected to find anything - and I had not been disappointed!  Well we did find a large tortoise.
Arthur Nicholls

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
Not sure why the bush cricket would be valuable? Perhaps dipped in chocolate? :P I buy southern European House Crickets @ ~£10/1000 for the chameleons.

Unless I have posted the wrong bug, I was informed this was a jewelled beetle and valuable to collectors.  Will check with the source of info and advise further.

Certainly no beetle - an Orthopteran of the family Tettigoniidae.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
About 40km. outside Hamadan is a site that I was looking forward to seeing again.  This was where we found the 'Moleskin' irises.
When we arrived, we noticed that  there was a hut and signs of excavation.  We also heard muffled sounds like explosives.
Climbing up the steep hill to find the irises, I had to stop to retie my laces.  Out of nowhere a man appeared who started talking to me in an agitated fashion.  Fortunately I was with John who speaks Farsi.  We were being ordered off the hill, as it was a restricted area (there were no signs and the area was not surrounded by barbed wire).  Other men appeared and went to search for the others.

At the coach we were all ordered to place our cameras on the dashboard and told that we must wait for their boss to arrive.  In the meantime, some of the men were looking at the photographs taken by James and Pietro - they examined every picture.  They then said we could go on and they would not be confiscating our cameras.  As we drove off our conversation turned to why we had been ordered off the hillside.  Could it be a nuclear installation - details of the site have been saved and can be given to MI5 if they ask nicely.

Janis Ruksans had managed to take some photos of the 'Moleskin' and these are shown below
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:53:28 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

art600

« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
The final photo of the trip. 

Even though there had been drought in areas and the flowers had not been as plentiful, we all enjoyed ourselves.  Here are the happy trippers in the desert between Hamadan and Teheran - with our driver who continues to amaze us with his skill managing a bus in the totally mad driving conditions that are Iran.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:19:33 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »
A fascinating account. 8) Fantastic pics and that 'moleskin' iris looks like a wee gem? :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
What an interesting report ! What an amount of rare plants, what a nice group!
I enjoyed it so much!
Thank you Arthur!

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Art,
Many many thanks for a fascinating and most interesting report !
Fabulous pictures ! (The moleskin Iris is wonderful !)   ;D
Thanks a million !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
Superb Art ... a pleasure to read.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
Arthur, great- thanks for all the pictures and the good information - The moleskin Iris are the plants I hoped you would show - thanks again :D
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

art600

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I was certain that only a few of you would be lucky enough to visit this interesting country with its wealth of flowers and friendly people (epecially the Kurds in the NW).
Arthur Nicholls

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
Thank you Arthur, a thoroughly enjoyable set of pictures.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
Not sure why the bush cricket would be valuable? Perhaps dipped in chocolate? :P I buy southern European House Crickets @ ~£10/1000 for the chameleons.

Do you have to let these loose in the house Anthony so the chameleons can catch them? Don't suppose they want them dished up dead on a plate. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »
Arthurs what species is the Moleskin iris? There is lovely variation and I particularly like the last one. I also love the tiny tortoise in Reply#94. Is it a baby or a tiny species? And I also like the sign over the gate in today's postings. I guess that's Frit imperialis?

All in all, a very interesting and beautiful report. Thanks again Arthur. (You'll be going back very soon for iris seed? ;D ;D ;D)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
Arthurs what species is the Moleskin iris? There is lovely variation and I particularly like the last one. I also love the tiny tortoise in Reply#94. Is it a baby or a tiny species? And I also like the sign over the gate in today's postings. I guess that's Frit imperialis?

All in all, a very interesting and beautiful report. Thanks again Arthur. (You'll be going back very soon for iris seed? ;D ;D ;D)

The Moleskin Iris is thought to be a hybrid, but the parents are unknown.  Jim Archibald wrote an article for the AGS Bulletin called something like "Queens of the Desert".  He spoke about Iris meda, acutiloba, lycotis and others.  He also spoke about the Moleskin.  If my volumes were in order I would be able to give you the reference - ANYONE ORGANISED?
I think the tortoise is a junior - we found two of this size.
I think you are right about the Frit imperialis.
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal