We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert's and Jasmin's Garden Paradise  (Read 26298 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Robert's and Jasmin's Garden Paradise
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2024, 08:00:16 PM »
Here in our Sacramento, California garden, after the removal of our large walnut tree in July, the ornamental component of our garden is in a state of flux and chaos. We are coping well with these changes, as well as the anomalous temperature extremes and the wild fluctuations in our weather that are taking place in our region. Jasmin and I are still pursuing our goal to create a beautiful healing garden, which integrates vegtables, grains, fruits, herbs, as well as ornamentals plant species into a harmonious composition.

We have a system that builds resiliency into our garden and helps us achieve our gardening goals. It has worked well for us for many decades. Below are some of the key components:

Seed saving.

We save seeds of our own varieties with an emphasis on maximizing genetic diversity while maintaining the purity of the variety or species. This is essential when maintaining vegetable varieties. We consider this to be equally essential when maintaining ornamental species and varieties.

Plant Trials.

We continuously conduct plant trials to find the varieties and species that perform best in our garden and have the specific characteristics we enjoy the most. We keep only the best and discard the rest. We have no time, space, or the inclination to collect plants.

Plant Breeding.

We breed and maintain many of our own varieties. For us this is a very enjoyable and creative process. Breeding toward specialized regional adaptations is one of our primary goals.

We have found these steps essential if we wish to create a resilient, productive and beautiful garden despite the rapid climatic changes taking place in our region.

[Jasmin]:  Indeed, everything is in a state of flux and chaos.  Usually health is not the focus of anything written regarding gardening; although a couple of years ago the ROCK GARDENER had an article by an elderly gentleman about his rock gardening after a stroke.  Here, there was no stroke or overt or underlying health issue that led to my waking up one morning unable to move, the muscles weak like a six-month-old infant and great pain.  No diagnosis.  My bones feel like they rattle around in my flesh, as if I am a sack.  Strength and mobility is gradual and slow. 
     I am just terribly stubborn.  I personally am spiritual, and have prayed a lot.  I also argue with God “If You want me, let’s just get this over, but there are some things that need to be taken care of, and my birds and husband need me or the equivalent.”  I also have another prayer, “I don’t like this, but thank You for helping me get through this.”  These are likely helpful; if nothing else, I am not whining and feeling sorry for myself.  I have had to figure out everything from dressing to toileting, and that has been with persistence.
     At one point, Mr. Ian Young discussed his reasons for gardening in his BULB LOG.  It was at a time I wondered if I even was or would be a gardener.  Even my hearing was affected, such that I could hear my husband’s voice without comprehending the sounds.  When I watched the supplemental BULB LOG video, I recognized Mr. Young’s wonderful voice, but could not understand anything.
     Thus, the garden fell into greater disarray since Robert had neither my help, and had to care for everything.  There was no means to keep up with anything.
     As for the walnut, it was declining these past three years.  Thankfully, we made the decision to remove it completely:  there was rot deep within at both the crown and stump where heartwood should have been.  With the extreme heat, it was a miracle it had not collapsed entirely and suddenly.
     Before the tree’s removal, I pushed myself into the garden to help Robert as much as possible.  We potted up what we could of our most beloved plants.  As for many others, they just were transformed into compost.  So imagine a garden jungle similar to Mr. and Mrs. Young’s being radically cut down and opened up.  Some plants are waiting for late autumn and early winter so we might transplant them to the front, where the shade garden will be.  We removed plants there too, so that we might have room for our absolute favorites from the back.
     Amazingly, the plants that were suddenly exposed to the extreme sun and heat are surviving.  Yes, there has been burning, but that has happened in other sunnier areas during the same period.  Much of the garden is either potted up, or waiting, and there is disarray, the organized chaos of flux.  As for this body I inhabit, it too is experiencing changes; I seem to be dwelling in it a little more gracefully moment-by-moment.  Mornings and nights are not the easiest, and my husband really is long overdue for sainthood.
     As to whether I am a gardener, and why, my best answer is therapy.  There is nothing like the passion of a garden challenge and project to lift a real gardener off and outside, to feel truly alive.  I will know I am no longer a gardener when I am incapable of excitement and enjoyment of beauty.  My concept of Heaven is a garden or outdoors, so I think each of us is creating our vision of Heaven while we are here on this planet Earth.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 12:54:14 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

MarcR

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2024, 08:14:31 PM »
Jasmine,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sudden impairment! You will be in my prayers. Hopefully the Lord will lift this from you as quickly and suddenly as He allowed it to come on.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Jeffnz

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2024, 09:54:13 PM »
Hi Jasmin
Best wishes for an improvement in your health.
Gardening for me

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2024, 02:59:02 PM »
[Jasmin]:  Thank you so much for all good thoughts and prayers. 
    One of the most potent healing “medicines” is a positive outlook.  It never ceases to amaze me how much of a difference hope, enthusiasm, and humor make.  It requires some discipline to look for the positive, when we can all be overwhelmed by the negativity in the news.  Yet, there are so many blessings in our lives.
    I am really looking forward to the reconfigured garden.  Planning what to plant where, and envisioning this with Robert fills me with joy and excitement. 
    I keep doing as much as I can, and I remember to rest rather than expect myself to do things beyond my capacity—and ever so slowly it seems this capacity does grow.
    The weather is changing:  autumn is around the corner, although we expect some severe high temperatures in the coming weeks.  It might be like a few years back, when everything roasted from Washington to California, some massive high pressure.  Crazy weather is everywhere now, but we gardeners are determined to create beauty.

Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

ruweiss

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2024, 09:37:05 PM »
Jasmin, after reading about your enormous health poblems let me wish you a quick
improvement. I think of you and wish you all the best.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal