We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growing Daylilies from Seed  (Read 14754 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Growing Daylilies from Seed
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2024, 09:04:41 PM »
50's at night. Put Linda Beck pollen on this flower, not sure if there is enough time to get mature seeds.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2024, 05:40:40 PM »
Daylilies along road.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2024, 08:26:36 PM »
Daylilies along road.

My! They do make a lovely display!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jeffnz

« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2024, 08:58:57 PM »
En masse is the best display, numerous white tags so future day lilies?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2024, 12:44:19 AM »
Maggi, Jeff thanks.

Ivory soap in tea bags, to keep the deer from eating the buds. They were eating the buds like crazy every night, then stopped once soap was placed.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2024, 07:02:18 PM »
Maggi, Jeff thanks.

Ivory soap in tea bags, to keep the deer from eating the buds. They were eating the buds like crazy every night, then stopped once soap was placed.
What a clever ruse to protect the buds - most impressed with that!

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2024, 07:32:51 PM »
It works great Maggi. Strung up a string line around my daylilies that I'm hybridizing with, and they haven't touched the flowers/seed pods. Placed tea bags with bar soap 3 foot apart. Might try it this Spring to protect my crocus on the grass bank.

Seedling keeps getting better and better. This flower was rained on all morning, and looks perfect.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2024, 10:27:44 PM »
I see that Ivory Soap is available from Ebay or Amazon  - but do you know if other soaps work as well?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2024, 11:42:05 PM »
Guess I didn't use Ivory, it's Zest that I used. Irish Spring  soap will probably work as well.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2024, 11:46:06 PM »
from google.

What is the best soap to keep deer away?
Irish Spring soap
“Use bars of Irish Spring soap for your deer problem and they'll go away,” Mrs. Poweska advised. “Just use a grater and shave the bars of soap into slivers to scatter about your garden, flowerbeds or the stems of the hostas. The deer will no longer approach because the soap has such a strong scent.Jul 26, 2019

I did try this, spreading on the ground, doesn't work for plants up high like daylilies. Needs to be around the same height as the buds so the deer smell it.

Jeffnz

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2024, 11:05:16 PM »
The chemist in me was intrigued by what colud be in the soap that wolud deter deer from eating in the vicinity.
Ingredients: soap and/or Sodium Palmate, Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate), Water, Glycerin (Skin Conditioner), Hydrogenated Tallow Acid, Coconut Acid, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Titanium Dioxide, D&C Green No.
The makers harvest clover and use peat to give the characteristic odour to the soap. Looking at the list of ingredients I casn obly think that the odour/frangrancre is the most lijk;ley deterent.

MarcR

« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2024, 03:57:40 AM »
Jeff,

My last Chemistry class is about 40 years old by now; but, I believe, that Hydroxyhydrocinnamate has Cyanide or Cyanamide radicle. While probably not toxic in that form, it might project an aura of toxicity.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Jeffnz

« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2024, 04:40:07 AM »
Hi Marc
Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate is an antioxidant molecule used in small amounts (less than 0.8%) to help products stay nice longer. More specifically, it is great at preventing discoloration or other types of oxidative degradation. It is a trendy alternative to often bad-mouthed synthetic antioxidant and stabilizer, BHT.
No cyanide involved in the chemical, used in many human products as alternative to methyisothiazolones which are now well established as contact allergens.

MarcR

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2024, 01:19:31 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the correction.  I thought I saw a similarity to references to the CN radicle in the cina of Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.  I took 3 lower division classes in Chemistry, more than 40 years ago, in persuit of my multiple subject teaching credential.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Jeffnz

« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2024, 08:57:28 PM »
Marc
I was not meaning to be corrective, only definitive. It is coming up 50 years sincer I graduated with my PhD in chemistry. The intervening years has seen me forget my than I learned, but the basics of chemistry have not dramatically changed in that time.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal