We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2024  (Read 2812 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Cyclamen 2024
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2024, 03:50:14 PM »
Cyclamen purpurascens and Cyclamen purpurascens f. album
Belgium

MarcR

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2024, 03:24:36 AM »
Herman,

VERY NICE!       My C. purpurascens are all still unbloomed seedlings. Is it normal to get summer bloom from C. purpurascens?  My  Cyclamen tend to be Fall, Winter, or Spring bloomers.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2024, 02:35:12 PM »
Herman,

VERY NICE!       My C. purpurascens are all still unbloomed seedlings. Is it normal to get summer bloom from C. purpurascens?  My  Cyclamen tend to be Fall, Winter, or Spring bloomers.
Marc, purpurascens always flowers in the summer and for a very long time!
Belgium

MarcR

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 08:48:56 PM »
Herman,

Thank you!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

StevenS

• Collector and grower of species flowerbulbs
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2024, 11:23:18 AM »
Cyclamen africanum is looking dainty today:
Duivendrecht, The Netherlands

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2024, 03:14:13 PM »
First of the C.hederifolium from seeds I got from Herman couple of years ago, is now flowering. :)
Leena from south of Finland

arisaema

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:46:45 AM »
I have quite a few pots of seedlings of purpurascens, hederifolium and coum sprouting, sown last winter. Are they okay left outside in a bench over winter (down to -13 or so), or would they do better inside under lights at around 2-10C?

Carolyn

« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:58:54 PM »
I would certainly plunge the pots if leaving them outside. In Dec 2022 I lost every pot of cyclamen (hederifolium, coum mainly) in my cold frame. The pots froze (min temp -8C) because they were not plunged. Purpurascens should take the lowest temperatures out of all the species I think, but even it is vulnerable in a pot.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

arisaema

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:28:39 PM »
Thak you, Carolyn! There's a couple of lovely silver foliage forms among them, so inside sounds safer.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #24 on: Today at 04:51:31 PM »
I don't have inside space for my Cyclamen seedlings (hederifolium, coum, purpurascens and cilicium), but I have kept them in our root cellar over the winter. It is dark and temperatures are +3 - 0C, and all seem to be well in spring. Of course inside under lamps they would grow also during winter. C.purpurascens seedlings do well also outside in open ground, they has even self seeded some.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal