We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: june 2024 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 407 times)

Véronique Macrelle

june 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« on: June 20, 2024, 08:41:45 AM »

the June 2024 topic hadn't started yet, had it?

I'm trying to use a new photo software. What's the maximum resolution for the forum?

Mimulus pictus

Véronique Macrelle

Re: june 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 09:15:11 AM »
in the 3 years since i planted this Deinanthe, this is the first time it has flowered properly. for 2 years, its buds aborted.
 I imagine that the incessant rain has something to do with it.
 it produced a flowering shoot 2 m from the mother plant.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 06:51:42 PM »
the June 2024 topic hadn't started yet, had it?

I'm trying to use a new photo software. What's the maximum resolution for the forum?

Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, pdf, png, txt, jpeg
Restrictions: 5 per post, maximum total size 1000KB, maximum individual size 200KB
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 07:30:02 AM »
merci Maggi  :)

Salvia roemeria
has been flowering non-stop since March in a pot in the greenhouse. last year, the year it was sown, it produced only cleistogamous or very small flowers (0.5 mm of red protruding from the sepals), which was a great disappointment to me. fortunately, i gave it a second chance: now i love it!
but it blooms so much that i don't think it will live beyond this saiosn. and for the moment, none of its seeds seem to want to germinate.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 07:42:30 AM »
Corydalis calycosa its blue is really extraordinary, and the photo is quite accurate.
 Do you think it's possible to obtain seeds of this species from a single individual (self-pollination)? The nurserywoman seemed to say that it never made seeds.
 but maybe that's because her pollinating insect doesn't exist here... with a paintbrush?

arisaema

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 12:37:26 PM »
Do you think it's possible to obtain seeds of this species from a single individual (self-pollination)?

The blue Corydalis are usually self-sterile, although quite promiscuous so if there's a lot of different species flowering at the same time you often end up with (hybrid) seeds.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 07:26:24 AM »
thank you for these details.

end of flowering of Ariseama tortuosum grown in the ground. I won't have any seeds, the inflorescence only has male flowers. this year, it's not as tall as usual.
I dream of having the biggest Arisaema possible... I've heard that some reach 180 cm!

A little further on I have Ariaseama tortuosum helleboricum from seed; they remain small, 50 cm max, even though they have been flowering for 3 years. I thought this subspecies was taller than the others.... This year, one of them flowered without even making a single leaf, which was a bit ridiculous, and how is it going to replenish its tuber?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal