We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Codonopsis  (Read 883 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Re: Codonopsis
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2024, 07:14:31 AM »
my last plant to flower this year from the Pseudocodon group: Codonopsis vinciflora or Pseudocodon vinciflorum. this is a first flowering for this species.
this plant was very slow to get going in spring, but is now perhaps showing more vigour. its flower buds do not have the sepals fused around the corolla
 the flower stalks are thicker and longer, which means that the flower stretches upwards. there are no velvety hairs in the centre and no violet rings. it is a more intense violet-blue.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 06:18:34 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2024, 07:20:41 AM »
perhaps it's interesting to put the 3 Pseudocodon side by side...
 although I'm not really sure that the second and third (perhaps grey-wilsonii, after all) are really different.

MarcR

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 09:49:53 PM »
Véronique,

The Pseudocodon are interesting and beautiful.  The inflorescences are quite different from most codonopsis.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Bob A

• National Collection Codonopsis
    • Woodlands Plants
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2024, 08:10:52 PM »
I’ve just been alerted to these posts by a friend and am only too happy to help another Codonopsis grower if I can. Firstly please refer to www.codonopsisplants.co.uk where, as Carolyn says, there is lots of helpful information on growing and identifying them.
Specifically, C.gracilis should be treated as a tender biennial and always collect seed if you can to ensure its survival. It is a wonderful plant and worth the effort.
You may be able to maintain C.kawakamii in the garden but here in the UK I also treat that as tender, although perennial.
The Pseudocodons can be a little tricky but there are four that are regularly grown and, once you know them, you’re well on the way. P.vinciflorus has smaller flowers with the distinctive calyx lobes as you have noted. It has the best colour of all of them. P.convolulaceus ssp forrestii is usually the last to flower with large paler flowers and a very dark centre. P.grey-wilsonii has a distinctive purple ring on the blue flower and the pure white form, P.grey-wilsonii Himal Snow, rarely has a purple ring. Certainly I’ve never seen one so your pale form is very interesting.
The seedlings of Cc ovata, cardiophylla and obtusa may flower next year and have almost certainly been grown from seed I sent in last year.
If you’d like to look at the website you can always contact me through that. I look forward to hearing from you further and good luck.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2024, 08:17:36 AM »
Hello Bob,
delighted to chat with you...
 I've looked at your site through and through ;D
it's superb.

Thank you also for sending your seeds to the CGRS last year: I really enjoyed it.
and for answering my questions.

the pale form of Pseudocodon is light blue, not white.

I have another (charming) form of probably Pseudocodon vinciflora (sepal not adhering to the button), even bluer than the first, smaller, 2 cm wide and above all with a more campanulate, less flattened shape: which gives it a tonic appearance.  Its leaves are almost round).
 I photographed it next to the paler Pseudocodon ()que vous estimez de quelle espèce ou sous-espèce?

Bob A

• National Collection Codonopsis
    • Woodlands Plants
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2024, 10:51:51 PM »
We’ve had a completely pale blue form of P.grey-wilsonii and tentatively named it Blue Ice but still waiting to see if it comes true from seed. Your pale one with purple ring is very nice though. Kit Grey-Wilson has told me that he’s seen completely white ones with a purple ring in the wild but not in cultivation. Like all Codonopsis and Pseudocodon, P.vinciflorus can be variable but all are lovely.
Don’t forget, you can always email me as I don’t always check the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal