We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2024 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 107 times)

Véronique Macrelle

July 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« on: July 05, 2024, 09:32:22 AM »
Bomerea edulis has been flowering since April.

I've sown it 3 times. It germinates, then grows quite quickly. But I had to work out how to get it through the winter and and in the end I think it is important not to separate the seedlings or disturb the roots (I've also tried Lapageria 3 times, but it never germinated).
finally, the 3rd time for Bomarea  it succeeded (for the moment in pots, wintered out-of-freeze in the garage).

This plant is in its 3rd year. It started growing early in the season in February/March, when I installed it in front of a bay window in the living room. It started flowering in April!
 i know it can be hardy, so i'm waiting until i have enough to test it in the ground.
 by fertilising with a brush, i've managed to get 2 cm wide pods: they're already 2 months old and still green.

The flowers first produce anthers (blue-green stamens), then at the end of flowering when the stamens have dried out, finally a pistil. On each inflorescence, 2 or 3 flowers always seem to be delayed, but it's not easy to have the 2 stages synchronised and this almost never happens on the same inflorescence.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 01:16:19 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: July 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 12:00:26 PM »
I've not seen the fruits of Bomarea edulis - they are a super shape! Good luck with viable seed , Véronique .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:02:26 AM »
June was first hot and dry here, then at the end we got some rains, and weather is pleasant +18 - 20C.
Martagon lilies are flowering now, and some of the seedlings sown in 2017 are flowering for the first time.

722128-0

L.martagon var album

'Early Bird'

Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:05:43 AM »
Couple of dark ones.
'Congo Capers'

'Russian Morning'

A view from the garden, and dark lilies in the front are 'Congo Capers'.

Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal