We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2024 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 389 times)

Véronique Macrelle

July 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« on: July 05, 2024, 09:32:22 AM »
Bomerea edulis has been flowering since April.

I've sown it 3 times. It germinates, then grows quite quickly. But I had to work out how to get it through the winter and and in the end I think it is important not to separate the seedlings or disturb the roots (I've also tried Lapageria 3 times, but it never germinated).
finally, the 3rd time for Bomarea  it succeeded (for the moment in pots, wintered out-of-freeze in the garage).

This plant is in its 3rd year. It started growing early in the season in February/March, when I installed it in front of a bay window in the living room. It started flowering in April!
 i know it can be hardy, so i'm waiting until i have enough to test it in the ground.
 by fertilising with a brush, i've managed to get 2 cm wide pods: they're already 2 months old and still green.

The flowers first produce anthers (blue-green stamens), then at the end of flowering when the stamens have dried out, finally a pistil. On each inflorescence, 2 or 3 flowers always seem to be delayed, but it's not easy to have the 2 stages synchronised and this almost never happens on the same inflorescence.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 01:16:19 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: July 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 12:00:26 PM »
I've not seen the fruits of Bomarea edulis - they are a super shape! Good luck with viable seed , Véronique .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 10:02:26 AM »
June was first hot and dry here, then at the end we got some rains, and weather is pleasant +18 - 20C.
Martagon lilies are flowering now, and some of the seedlings sown in 2017 are flowering for the first time.

722128-0

L.martagon var album

'Early Bird'

Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 10:05:43 AM »
Couple of dark ones.
'Congo Capers'

'Russian Morning'

A view from the garden, and dark lilies in the front are 'Congo Capers'.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 07:22:21 PM »
Beautiful martagons Leena.
Your L. canadense recently flowered here for the first time.

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 07:46:09 PM »
Your L. canadense recently flowered here for the first time.

Ashley, how can it be yellow? I am sure I took it from the red one.
Let's try again. :)

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 08:31:57 PM »
your lilies are marvellous! ::)

I bought a few martagons this spring, but they didn't do much, so I'll have to wait for next year.
 how tall are they, martagon and canadense?
 Leena: your garden is very beautiful: very full, just the way I like it...

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2024, 08:57:48 PM »
Well done on managing to set seed on your Bomarea Véronique 8)  What interesting fruits.
This L. canadense is only about 70cm but still immature.  I understand that established plants can reach 2m+, but Leena will know as she grows it beautifully.

Leena, you very kindly sent me scales of both yellow and red forms, as well as a yellow bulbil (the plant above). 
Unfortunately I didn't succeed with the red so would love to try again if possible.  Thank you.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2024, 01:17:44 PM »
The martagons are fantastic in all colors Leena!
I also had a young one flowering this year but don't dare to show it here, only had a few flowers.

Nice first L. canadense flowers Ashley. One that I still have at the foliage stage here; I've only been succesful with L. michiganense for now.

Out hiking recently, I noticed an excellent flowering season for Lilium philadelphicum, probably due to a more rainy spring and early summer. The deers will have a feast with the capsules later in the fall.

Mimulus lewisii, easy, fast flowering from seeds  started very early.

Delphinium fissum, now a regular garden show in July.

And Clematis hexapetala, grown from wild seeds Primorye. I grew it before from seeds exchanges and always a hybrid.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2024, 06:24:24 PM »
I bought a few martagons this spring, but they didn't do much, so I'll have to wait for next year.
 how tall are they, martagon and canadense

Thank you Veronique. :)
I think martagon lilies are slow to establish, and are at their best after a few years.
The tallest of mine are about 1,6m, mostly they are 1m-1,5m.
L.canadense is usually as tall, more than 1,5m, but this year they are shorter. I think it is because of the drought and heat wave in May.
Red L.canadense is not flowering well this year, the biggest bulbs have suffered from something, maybe drought (they are alive), but a smaller one in a different bed is ok.

Ashley, I completely forgot about the yellow one I sent you. :)
One year I got some seeds from both yellow and red ones, but most years the seeds are empty. I don't know why they seem to be difficult to produce seeds. Martagon lilies have a lot of seeds every year.

Gabriela, your L.philadelphicum looks good! My seedlings from it are growing, so I'm very happy about it.
Before we had fence around the garden, deer liked to eat also martagon seed pods.
Delphinium fissum looks so nice.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2024, 01:12:16 PM »
I also like Mimulus lewisii.

here is Verbascum atroviolaceum its colour is superior. it flowered the year of the semi, but is a little too nourished by too rich a compost. in poorer soil its rosette of leaves is less than 15 cm wide.
at the back Campanula rotundifolia

and finally Petunia exserta, in a pot as it's my only surviving plant this year.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:38:18 AM »
a nice species of dahlia: Dahlia coccinea.

I wonder if this is really the pure species? if someone reassures me I'll give some seeds for the exchange...

do the flowers always face west (afternoon sun)?
 someone warned me that it can grow up to 2 m tall.

I post regularly to familiarise myself with my new programme and equipment (I can't see very well) but the photos (from my phone now) are going a bit in any direction in the thumbnail version: I don't know if there's a solution...
« Last Edit: Today at 06:40:05 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

arisaema

« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:12:34 AM »
a nice species of dahlia: Dahlia coccinea.

That's lovely! I sowed a species of my own from the SRGC seed list, it's become a bit larger than I expected, hope it'll be hardy enough. Dahlia merckii:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal