We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 15515 times)

Jeffnz

Re: August 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2024, 10:38:55 PM »
Thx for the photos.
Gradational hellebore growers may see Cleopatra and hybrids there of as not being an acceptable move. I disagree, the same my be said for hellebore flowers that are round in shape and doubles, all a part of a change in breeding and seeing the opportunity to create something that is unique. Japanese hellebore breeders have created some truly outstanding new hellebores, particularly doubles. Unfortunately many of their off spring are not available outside of Japan, unless of course the likes of Peter goes to the trouble of visiting nurseries and bringing selected plants back to his nursery for subsequent breeding.
The double black is outstanding, for shape and colour, sorry but it is not really black just an intense purple. With my hellebores the reduction in cold winters has seen dark colours become less intense. We rarely get snow but used to have quite hard frosts over winter, the latter are not so hard or frequent as in the past, more is the pity

MarcR

Re: August 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #16 on: Today at 01:08:39 AM »
Jeff,

All blacks in horticulture are intense purple.  Very few of us look at flowers through a chromatometer. For most of us if something looks black, we call it black. In a paint store, a ghromatometer can be useful to precisely match tints.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal