We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2024-25 Canadian Donations  (Read 4316 times)

MarcR

2024-25 Canadian Donations
« on: August 07, 2024, 06:31:24 AM »
Please note:

I will not be able to handle Canadian donations this year.
Last year the Canadian Dept of Agriculture was unwilling or unable to co-operate with the inspection process and the Canadian Donations were excluded from the  PHYTO certificate.

I would be willing to co-ordinate the Canadian donations if the Canadian government was willing to co-operate with the process; but, alas,  they are not.  :'(

The website has not yet been modified to reflect this change
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 05:52:02 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Grahame Ware

• Nothing like a day of swimming in the Salish Sea
    • Owl and Stump Rare Plants
Re: 2024-25 Canadian Donations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 07:27:44 PM »
Hey Marc: It is easy for Canadian members of the SRGC to send seeds to the seedex. A phyto from CFIA (Can. Food Inspection Agency) costs but $12 and it goes direct to Scotland. I highly recommend that every Canadian member be on the prowl for seeds over the next while and keep "our" seedex as the best in the world.
As for gardening, "Keep it lean but don't be mean about the scene!"

Grahame Ware

• Nothing like a day of swimming in the Salish Sea
    • Owl and Stump Rare Plants
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 10:09:14 PM »
Marc: I would like to make another point or two on Canadians donating seed. I can see why the CFIA did not want to "cooperate". For starters, why would Canadian members of the SRGC purchase their phytos so they could send the seeds to the US only to have you or them have more expense and hassle (for you apparently) sending them on to Scotland? It just doesn't make sense. It never made sense to "pool"- except for US members.
Good luck for the next seedex.

As for gardening, "Keep it lean but don't be mean about the scene!"

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:33:43 AM »
Grahame,

Last year Several Canadian Donors Sent me their donations  under my small lots permit.  No Phyto was necessary.

Many members are uncomfortable with the PHYTO application process; and  each Canadian donor would have saved $12 and the hassle of applying for a PHYTO if CFIA had cooperated.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:42:52 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal