We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Access cold frame leaking  (Read 285 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Access cold frame leaking
« on: August 11, 2024, 11:49:20 AM »
I had the opportunity to buy Access garden cold frames last year but after a very rainy winter and several bulbs lost inside the frame i'm disappointed about the frame design. Water is leaking on each corners, flow from top to bottom front corners. I tried to add mini pvc diy gutters but not much better results. How all pf you in uk manage the leak? I had several exchanges with the manufacture and other growers and all recognise the problem.

Any idea is welcome to stop the water entering the frame. Even cheap frame doesn't have such problem.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 11:57:38 AM by Yann »
North of France

ArnoldT

Re: Access cold frame leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 03:42:33 PM »
Yann

Is water leaking in where glass and frame material meet?

Or where the frame is attached to a larger structure.

I'd try some silicone caulking material where glass and frame meet.  The caulk is available  in assorted colors Place could on the outside surfaces.  Clean well to assure a good bond.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 04:22:08 PM »
Here's a video
North of France

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 08:36:00 PM »
Yann,

You might do well to disassemble the top metal flanges and gutters and re assemble using 2 or 3 beads of calking between all metal surfaces where they meet.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 08:47:04 PM »
Thanks that's what i'll try next week. The roof should overtake the front panes as most cold frames are designed.
North of France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal