We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula x pubescens 'George Harrison'  (Read 126 times)

John D Hanson

Primula x pubescens 'George Harrison'
« on: September 07, 2024, 08:59:00 PM »
I have this plant in flower at present.

I was wondering who raised it and when.

George Harrison was the name of a musician who restored a large rock garden at Friar Park, Henley-on-Thames.

Another George Harrison found gold on Langlaagte Farm in 1886.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula x pubescens 'George Harrison'
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2024, 09:47:31 PM »
Hello John,  I suspect this plant was named for George Harrison - former member of The Beatles" group, who was a most enthusiastic gardener. I will ask a friend who may know about its provenance.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula x pubescens 'George Harrison'
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 06:08:28 PM »
Well,  so far I've heard back  from Jon Evans , Neil Tyers, Sarah Macrae and Val Wooley!
Val Wooley, who was a seller of the plant some time ago, has replied saying:

"Good morning Maggi

Neil Tyers has forwarded your enquiry to me. The George Harrison plant has always been a subject of interest on the nursery (now closed) as everybody assumed it was named after the well-known Beatle! In reality it was named after a gentleman called George Harrison who had a nursery in the North East of England. I have never known any more about the nursery but perhaps you could ask John Richards or Jim Jermyn.

Many years ago Ringo Starr’s gardener contacted me as he wanted to purchase some plants of George Harrison’ for a Beatle themed border.  I spent some time going through the Plant Finder for him and found several other appropriate plants with names such as’ Abbey Road’. There were no primulas however.

Sorry  this is all the information I have but I hope it helps.  If you find out any more I would love to hear from you.

Best wishes
Val Woolley"

Many thanks to all these nice people who have tried to help!

Val sent this photo of the plant :

And Sarah Macrae tells me that Ardfearn Nursery is listing the plant once more. www.ardfearn-nursery.co.uk

« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 06:10:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal