We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 79 times)

Véronique Macrelle

September 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: September 09, 2024, 08:20:50 AM »
when my pots of Arisaema cilitatum var liubaense have lost their leaves, I find it amusing to turn my growing pot upside down to count the tubers.
 as after a year or two with less care and excess weather, my number of Arisaema plants had fallen back, i've been pampering them this year.

I find that Arisaema ciliatum in pots produce many more bulbils than in the ground.
 in a 20 cm pot, with good, rich soil and watering with a light liquid fertiliser every 15 days: it's a big improvement!

at the start, I had about thirty leaves, many of them very small, and only 2 produced male flowers.
Now I have 8 tubers that are sure to flower next year (3 cm), or even more (maybe the 2 cm tubers will flower...). All in all, a harvest of 125 tubers ;D.

Véronique Macrelle

Re: September 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 08:35:38 AM »
one day i was given a small piece of Sedum rupestris which had become cristate in a friend's garden.

I wasn't necessarily attracted to this plant at first, but changed my mind after 2 years. It is very stable in its cristation, because even the stems that grow back normally end up becoming cristated again.
 When massed, this sturdy plant gives a very nice mossy impression.
It can also be used to make remarkable undulations (length of undulation 17 cm).
In fact, it fascinates everyone, and non-gardeners think it's moss :D

Do you know if it is marketed under a cultivar name?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal