We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 611 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: October 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2024, 04:04:18 PM »
Hi Fermi,

Have any of your Themidaceae started to bloom yet? It seems like it should be the start of that season for you.

Here in our part of Northern California the weather has finally cooled to average temperatures for this time of year. It is still extremely dry. This is not unusual for our part of California, however precipitation is only about 15% of average to date. The numbers are a little better in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, but still very dry. There are frosty mornings at the highest elevations in the Sierra Nevada.

With such dry weather I was surprised to see the first Dipterostemon capitatus ssp. capitatus foliage emerging from the ground. This species can be very early, however this seems extreme. The start of the rainy season will be welcome. We are hoping for a good season this year.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2024, 03:24:18 PM »
Have any of your Themidaceae started to bloom yet? It seems like it should be the start of that season for you.

Hi Robert,
they've only just started - the first being what I think is Brodiaea coronaria
724146-0724148-1
The next is what I've called "Ithuriel's Spear" but apparently that's Triteleia laxa and I think this is Triteleia bridgesii.
724150-2724152-3
Triteleia laxa is still in bud, as is Dichelostemma volubile which I've called "The Climbing Bluebell"
724154-4
These 3 stems are from one pot which is sitting on a bench under a Cercis siliquastrum into which it's climbing,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2024, 07:28:20 PM »
Hi Fermi,

Thank you for sharing the photographs.

I thought that you might find the following photographs interesting.

This is a photograph of Triteleia bridgesii growing in its natural habitat in the Canyon of the South Fork of the American River in El Dorado County, California. This location is not far from our El Dorado County farm. I can easily arrive at this site in 30 minutes from our farm.

This is a photograph of Triteleia bridgesii blooming in our Sacramento garden. As you can see, the color pattern on the one flower is not the same as the other flowers on the same scape. Most seasons all the flowers appear similar on this plant. There are many reasons why this flower could be off-type during this season, however this is not a common feature of this species.

This is a photograph of Triteleia laxa blooming in our Sacramento garden. Triteleia laxa has a large geographic range throughout California and Southern Oregon. It grows abundantly on our farm property. I have accessions of this species growing in our Sacramento garden from many locations in Northern California. Our accessions from the low elevations in the Inner Coast Range Mountains are always the first to bloom in our garden. All of our accessions of Triteleia laxa bloom well before any of our Triteleia bridgesii accessions. The geographic range of Tritelia bridgesii is limited to Northern California and Southern Oregon. Under some circumstances, it might be possible that Triteleia bridgesii could cross with Triteleia laxa, however I have never observed this in the wild or our garden. I have been tempted to make this cross in our Sacramento garden to see if this cross is possible.

Thanks again for sharing the photographs. The Themidaceae thrive in our Sacramento garden. They can be effectively integrated into our garden by mimicking their preferences in their native habitats.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2024, 07:31:03 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

To forget how to dig the earth and tend the soil is to forget ourselves.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal