We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus - July 08 SH  (Read 15489 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus - July 08 SH
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
Thomas, I sent you a note a few days ago about the Pilous list. Did you get it?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
Thomas, I sent you a note a few days ago about the Pilous list. Did you get it?

No I didn't - I'm not at work, please send a PM via SRGC!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

matoutdoors

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:03 AM »
Thanks again for the warm welcome!!

Lesley... yes it looks very similar. Curious that you had such variation.. Mine are all very similar. Im wondering if perhaps another crocus was involved??
From my understanding of genetics. The first hybrids are intermediate between the parents. If selfed. The next generation is often a whole range of colours and forms.....

Thomas.. Glad you enjoyed my article... I hope not too many eyebrows were raised by my "procurment" of my very first Crocus!!

Paul... mine are raised from seed. I have a few plants so they set seed here. If I pollinate them. Veluchensis is DEFINATLY worth growing. I think its one of the nicest of the species. Given a cool, moist yet sunny position it does well. It doesnt like to dry out.

Cheers

Mat
Member from the Blue Mountains. West of Sydney, Australia. Particularly interested in Crocus, Allium, Corydalis and Fritillaria

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Thomas.. Glad you enjoyed my article... I hope not too many eyebrows were raised by my "procurment" of my very first Crocus!!

Hi Mat!
I'm still searching for a translation for "procurment" but I think you know what I mean.
Generally I don't like the big vernus-monsters, but Pickwick is really the "best of the worse"  8)  ;)
Seems like we two are the only people on this forum collecting cultivars :-\

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
Thomas ..  Procurement means  acquisition........Beschaffung  is close!

Glad you enjoyed my article... I hope not too many eyebrows were raised by my "procurment" of my very first Crocus!!
Mat, I thought you were brave to own up! Luckily, I think there may be a statute of limitations on corm snaffling!! ;) ::) :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

Thanks for your help, Maggi - good to know you're always there when I need you  :D

matoutdoors

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
I like all crocus. Also many of the cultivars are "selected"forms of species. I think thats OK.

Although Im a collector... Im also a gardener. So, if it looks good in a garden. Im interested. I find the large vernus and chrysanthus cultivars are what people most comment on. They do well... so they are in!

Thanks for the translation Maggi ;) 

I wrote about that to show the DESIRE these plants bring to me. Amazing after over 20 years later I stil lget just as excited over them!!

Mat
Member from the Blue Mountains. West of Sydney, Australia. Particularly interested in Crocus, Allium, Corydalis and Fritillaria

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »
The weather isn't encouraging many crocuses to open fully right now. More days of cold winds and not much sun. I had to bring these inside to open, then rush them out again to take pictures. If the sun would warm a little, CC. abantensis, biflorus ssp. alexandri and alatavicus would all be in full glory. Can't bring them in as they're planted in a raised bed.

I'm thrilled at last to have the true C. chrysanthus 'Zwanenburg Bronze' (from MH). I had it 40 years ago from Van Tubergen in Holland, but since then, everything sold in NZ as ZB has been the variety 'Fusco-tinctus' with brown feathering, not the lovely solid bronze wash.
77545-0

77547-1

77549-2

Crocus gargaricus is one of the brightest. The pic doesn't really do it justice, a really rich, orangey yellow - best free-range egg yolk colour. :)
77551-3

And this little honey is Crocus cyprius. It is quite small compared with most but makes up for that in delightful colouring, more lavender than in the pics, not white at all. The dark base to the flower is very dramatic as is the orangey throat and red stigma.
77553-4

77555-5

In the summer, 'Zwanenburg Bronze' will go into the garden and the others into troughs.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:07:15 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:33 AM »
All lovely, Lesley.  Particularly that cyprius.  Wonderful colouration!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 07:05:51 AM »
I'm thrilled at last to have the true C. chrysanthus 'Zwanenburg Bronze' (from MH).

Lesley, not too bad for a Crocus which received a AM at RHS in 1938   :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 07:08:47 AM »
Flowering here at the moment are Crocus corsicus and imperatii ssp suavoleons, both in the new crocus garden.  The latter, in the main garden has finished flowering, as the crocus garden individuals are just starting.  More sun in that spot in the open garden.  Also a number of things popping up buds today after the rain we had over the weekend.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »

Glad you enjoyed my article... I hope not too many eyebrows were raised by my "procurment" of my very first Crocus!!
Mat, I thought you were brave to own up! Luckily, I think there may be a statute of limitations on corm snaffling!! ;) ::) :-X
Hello Maggi and Thomas [hope you are enjoying your holiday] , maybe  "aneignen " could also describe Mat's wandering hands .
 Mat I lost my extremely dark coloured form of Crocus veluchensis -the one you admired in bloom some years ago in my garden , in last summers heat and drought , I should have known better [ old age does'nt always bestow wisdom] and should have planted it in a cool andslightly moist position, one that my Cr. banaticus revels in. Many Corydalis are starting to bloom now . Hopefully some may still be in flower when you come down to Melbourne in September for the lecture .
   Ciao Otto.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:59:16 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Otto, yes, "aneigen" is much better...meaning " to appropriate"   8) I am too rusty!

Nearest we are getting to crocus  here at the minute are fat corms full of promise!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
Ah, so I'll get to meet Mat as well.  Excellent!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi Lesley,
beautiful C.cyprius and C.gargarius. It makes me appetite for autuum crocus flower season in the northern hemisphere. :)
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal