We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daffodils in the Southern Hemisphere in 2008  (Read 26158 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: Daffodils in the Southern Hemisphere in 2008
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »
If my memory is correct Jack Ripper got a first in it's class at last week's Hobart show, but Jackson's got the Grand Champion. If anyone is interested I could post a photo or two.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »
If my memory is correct Jack Ripper got a first in it's class at last week's Hobart show, but Jackson's got the Grand Champion. If anyone is interested I could post a photo or two.
Indeed, Rob, why not ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2008, 12:22:43 AM »
Here's a pic I took of Otto's double a couple of weeks ago, but in the evening so the flash came on.
The best thing about it is that it appears to have viable stigmatic bits! Pollen was applied and it remains to be seen if anything comes of it!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
Here's a pic I took of Otto's double a couple of weeks ago, but in the evening so the flash came on.
The best thing about it is that it appears to have viable stigmatic bits! Pollen was applied and it remains to be seen if anything comes of it!
cheers
fermi

I thought Jack Ripper was hideous, but that was exquisite compared to this freak of nature.  :o
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Mini-daffs

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2008, 12:40:53 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Not sure I would want a double cyclamineus hybrid.
Jack Ripper is a seedling of Rip Van Winkle. Our bloom is far from perfect so it probably does not do it just but it is the first time we have actually flowered a miniature double. We have had seedlings of Rod's for a while but they have not flowered for us. Rod has a lot of different coloured miniature doubles. Eventually miniature doubles will have the same refinement as standards. In fact a lot of miniatures will just be miniature versions of the standards available today.
Rob, I would be suprised if a miniature double ever beat a Jackson's standard double. For those of you who are not in the daffodil world. Jackson are one of the top hybridisers of exhibition standards in the world. They grow their daffodils at Geeveston in Tasmania. A lot of our standards and intermediate seedlings have Jackson's daffodils parentage. I have some standard photos from our Canberra Show but I will limit myself to posting miniatures here unless they are something special like the split cups.
The cyclamineus double flower is a freak of nature but it is freaks of nature that lead to advances in hybridising. This is certainly the case for the splits. However, I don't think I will be breeding with the freak that results in half a daffodil!
We have very nice all yellow jonquilla hybrids out at the moment. I will take some photos at the weekend.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Our season is starting to draw to an end now. We are doing quite a few crosses using N. triandus, N. rupicola, N. watieri and our fertile jonquilla hybrids.
I have attached photos of three of our fertile and very good jonquilla hybrids. I would describe them as intermediate sized as the flowers are only just a bit bigger than miniature and the stems and foliage are just a bit bigger than miniature. There is also a nice 7W-W in this series of hybrids and it is also very nice and fertile.
I found some nice 11W-P's of our own breeding. They almost look like Leslotto's!!

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »
Graham
This Year I have not said much but I do love he plants You show and Your explanation of parenthood and plans for them very educational.
I must say I even like the Rip van Winkel and the natural freaks. Very nice to see the variation in size, shape and colour and the variations of them o-w w-o y-y y-o etc. Sometimes I have problem believing in the colours but I know they are corrects. The split cup with red cup for example looked unreal but very nice :)
Hope to see more before the season ends
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »
I do like the pale yellow ones.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mini-daffs

« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
;D
A few more photos. We have flowered our first miniature double. It looks like it is going to be a 4W-P. Because it has an intermediate 4W-P as the pollen parent it has more form to it than seedlings from the Rip Van Winkle line. It is probably a sterile hybrid whereas the Rip Van Winkle line is actually fertile.
Joakim, I liked the intermediate 11Y-O shown by Graeme Davis enough to swap some of our miniature 6W-W's for that flower. I don't often desire pollen from other growers as we have a lot of coloured intermediates of our own but every so often you see something really nice.... The pollen has been put to good use on our seedlings.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2008, 09:19:47 AM »
 ;D ;D
Warning to Lesley--this post includes photos of split cups.
If you look carefully at the seedling with nice flat cup of pink you will see the pollen has already been used.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:29:15 AM by Mini-daffs »

Mini-daffs

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2008, 09:22:43 AM »
 ;D
Hi a few bulbocodium photos for you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:30:32 AM by Mini-daffs »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
I'm going to get very embarrassed now, because I'm getting confused over something very basic. I thought a biclour was a white perianth and yellow or orange corona, and reverse bicolours were the other way round like, for instance, Binkie. So why are the reverse bolours also the same combination?  :-[ ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »
Graham,

All very nice.  I love that miniature double, and the split coronas, particularly the white and pinks.  Thanks for the photos!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »
Mmmmmm..... I see my name has been taken in vain several times over recent days.

For the record, I'll happily go UN-immortalized if it means one less split cup in the world. Thanks though Graham. :)

Mercifully, though I was with Otto for a full week, I didn't see the double messed-up cyclamineus. Maybe he pulled it out before I noticed it there.There was so much else to see that was marvellous.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2008, 05:54:19 AM »
Welcome back Lesley  ;)
Christchurch, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal