We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August (still winter) in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 23036 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: August (still winter) in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
Great Junos, Lesley.

A couple of recent pics from my garden as well.....

A rather nice variegated Euphorbia called 'Tassie Tiger'.
a double hellebore.
a couple of shots of a very small hoop petticoat daffodill called Narcissus bulbocodium graelsii.
Spiloxene linearis is just starting to flower, but rarely getting enough warmth to actually open any of the flowers.  :-\
And a couple of different shots of my Moraea ciliata for comparison with Fermi's from the previous page.  What do you think Fermi?

I'll also post some pics in the Galanthus and Crocus areas, plus a Glad in the South African section.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:38 AM »
Paul,

Did you buy the Euphorbia direct from the source or is it available locally for you?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:04 AM »
It was actually given to me by a friend in the Southern Highlands, who got it from Tasmania originally I think?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »
Interesting Euphorbia, Paul.
Earlier I posted a pic of a Narcissus cantabricus grown from seed labelled "var clusii", but this one appeared to be "var monophyllus".
Two more have flowered and appear to be "var monophyllus" as well!
81832-0

81834-1
Now for more retics!
Iris "Marguerite"
81836-2
Iris"Pauline"
81838-3
And a clearer pic of Iris "Springtime"
81840-4
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:49 AM »
Fermi,

Great Narc.  Pure white by the look of it?

Is your Iris retic 'Marguerite' variegated?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2008, 02:42:49 AM »
It was actually given to me by a friend in the Southern Highlands, who got it from Tasmania originally I think?

The 'Tasmanian Tiger' is Sally's introduction from a seedling found in Barb Jennings' place; it's supposedly become very popular overseas - popular enough to pay for a new bathroom (allegedly!). I've even seen it in our local Bot. Gardens, but without a credit to either of them. Very good en masse.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:50:21 AM by rob krejzl »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2008, 03:27:35 AM »
Rob,

I'll correct the name of it.... I didn't realise it was 'Tasmanian Tiger', not 'Tassie Tiger'.  I knew that it had originally been sold by Sally, but couldn't afford to buy it at the time when I used to receive her catalogues years ago before she stopped sending them.  I'd imagine it would be stunning en masse, given that even one single plant in a small pot is quite noticeable.  Must try propagating a piece off it as I get paranoid about having only one of something in case it dies.  ::)

Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2008, 03:46:56 AM »
It does quite easily from cuttings Paul.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2008, 04:07:52 AM »
I'm assuming severing one of the lower shoots without buds, leaving it to dry for a few days, then into a sandy mix with hormones?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »
Most of that, yes, but I wouldn't let them dry for a few days. I'd put them in sand right away. Whatever works for you though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2008, 05:11:33 AM »
Lesley,

OK, I thought they were of the succulent persuasion and would rot if not allowed to dry off at the cut surface.  However, I've not done much in the way of cuttings of Euphorbia, whereas you know them.  Glad I wouldn't have made the mistake of drying them and diminishing the chances of striking.  Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
A couple of daffodils - Yornup has 2 lemon and the bright yellow - if Yornup H A Brown 1939 is Y-Y would the single bright yellow be the one correctly labelled.

Ababa H A Brown 1929 - narcissus from Hancocks.

Also a Juno which flowered for the first time -  seed came as Iris aucheri mixed forms Leylak Station. The colour was a surprise - any comments. 
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
Pat,

That is one impressive juno.  So much darker than anything I've ever seen (I've only seen pics though in most cases.  ;)).  Such a wonderfully strong colour.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
Paul,

We grow a very similar euphorbia here - no label with it as far as I know, but it is a pretty thing.

Re propagation of euphorbias, these bigger garden varieties at any rate: Mary's practice is to wait until the stems have reached about a foot in height; she then cuts off the top 6 inches and pushes in into the ground to the side of the clump or somewhere else if she wants a plant there.  Her idea is that by cutting back the plant at this stage it will thicken up and be less likely to flop over later on in the year. There is also the benefit of increasing the clump and spreading the plant through the garden. Sounds simple and it apparently is as the euphorbias do very well here, their only drawback being flopping at this time of year - over soft growth due to too much rain, I think.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:03 PM »
Paddy,

Not a problem we have here!!  ;D  Mine is only about a foot tall in flower, and so I am intending to take off a couple of the lower shoots for propagating.  Given the flowers are terminal I doubt it would work as a cutting, plus I'll let it set a few seeds and see what results in the seedlings.  Might even try crossing it with a dark red type to see whether I could fluke some nice red and white variegated plant!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal