We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008  (Read 53617 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
I am getting a little concerned at the naked hatred of cats shown by several members of the Forum.  My cat keeps the mice at bay - I cannot remember when I last lost a Crocus to mice.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »
Arthur,

Yes, but how many of your neighbours have the cat using their gardens as a toilet?  Thankfully with heavy mulching they don't bother my garden much any more, but finding choice bulbs dug out by a cat using your garden as a very stinky latrine is a big reason for a lot of cat hatred.  Also in my case when they used to come a visiting I hated it because I tried to make my garden bird attractive, and the cats just used it as a hunting ground.  Personally, I have no problems with cats, just those left to roam the streets hunting anything and everything they choose.  I think that cats should be enclosed in yards under the same conditions as dog owners are expected to keep.... i.e the animal must stay within your own yard.  That's the only gripe I have with cats.... they're lovely animals, but they should be in their owners yards only, not allowed out of them.

So there are a couple of reasons for some of the naked hatreds (mine most definitely isn't a naked hatred, just a naked love of the local birdlife that is decimated at times by the local "domestic" hunters).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »
Arthur, I can assure you that whenever I (a) shout abuse at a cat about to dig in my garden; or (b) throw something heavy at a cat about to dig in my garden: I always go indoors first and put my clothes on :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
But Arthur you dont know what your cat is doing in a neighbours garden. Only recently I dug a small hole to plant a rare Clematis 'Mary Rose'. It started to rain so I didnt finish the job. The next day I went out to plant the Clematis and found the hole partially filled in and without thinking used by bare hand to remove the soil again. My hand and fingers were covered in cat crap.

In Australia tame and feral cats are causing the loss of many of Australias rarest small marsupials. They havent evolved to cope with a non native enemy.

The last time I read British cats kill c. 53 million small mammals and birds every year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

art600

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:17 AM »
Arthur, I can assure you that whenever I (a) shout abuse at a cat about to dig in my garden; or (b) throw something heavy at a cat about to dig in my garden: I always go indoors first and put my clothes on :P
;D ;D ;D
Arthur Nicholls

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »
Possibly this would keep the cats away.  I wouldn't argue with it !  I looked out of my kitchen window this morning and saw this female Sparrowhawk plucking a pigeon.  She fed on the bird for an hour and a half.  When I went out to dispose of the carcase, it was plucked clean - both breasts had been eaten down to the bone. During this time, all the other small birds were feeding on the bird feeders -  they must have known that it was safe to do so as long as the Sparrowhawk was occupied. Four hours later, she was back, looking for her kill.  She looked around and searched the area before giving up.  How she could have been hungry beggars belief.  On a human scale, her first meal must have been the equivalent of a haunch of venison.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
Going by the pale feather edges I would say this is one of this years young

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
I was having a pint in my local the other night listen to someone I know moan about irresponsible dog owners. I've got two dogs myself and thought I'd join in. Knowing he had two cats, I suggested maybe the owners should train the dogs to be more like his cats and climb the neighbours fence, dig a little hole and crap in the their garden. I'd had a few to drink and suggested he should hold off the attack on dog owners until such time he could control his cats. He was not amused ;D

Most cats stay away from our garden now, two large dogs see to that ;). I'd love for our dogs to be able to kill birds like cats do, the bloody Canadian geese ruin our front garden but I'm sure there would be complaints flooding in if I gave them a free hand. there has been the odd accident in the past though :o

Dave

art600

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Tom

What wonderful shots  - could it deal with a wood pigeon, we are plagued by them.
Arthur Nicholls

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
Yes wonderful shots Tom.

Arthur - it could easily deal with a wood pigeon. Racing pigeon keepers hate them as the loose some very valuable birds to Sparrowhawks.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
Dave sparrowhawks ambush their prey by hedge hopping at speed cathing their prey on the ground or at feeders. I've seen a sparrowhawks going for bats but dont know what happened. I dont think a hawk could catch a pigeon flying at full speed. Rounded wings are for agilty not speed.

Peregrines are pigeon fanciers main enemy but they are only catching pigeons for food and dont know the difference between a wood pigeon and a £10,000 racing pigeon

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008, 05:33:47 AM »
Those are wonderful shots of the sparrowhawk.  Such beautiful creatures, but then I do have a soft spot for birds.

As for cats, there are more in my neighborhood than one can shake a stick at, drove me nuts the first year I was here.  Cats are trainable though, even when you don't own them.  Our front boulevard, which is town property, is directly under a huge fir, the ground is dry and the soil is perfect for a litter box.  I've encouraged the cats to do their business there and after 3 years they're catching on.  If I caught them doing it anywhere else in the yard they would get a good hosing down, caught in the front I would leave them be.  So far, so good.  There is an upside to having cats roaming, we have no mice issues, nor voles, but it does break my heart to see them getting all the birds.  Especially knowing that they only do it for sport and not because they intend to eat them. 
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
Hi Mark, I did not mean they catch them in flight. Sparrowhawks are hated by the pigeon fanciers groups all over the country as they attack the birds in the garden when getting back in to their lofts and also when resting during racing. Just type in Pigeon Fanciers and Sparrowhawks on Google and you will see what I mean.

David

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
My Dad's uncle lived on the moors near Halifax all his life (a house called 'Cockpit' - he used to be in charge of Ringston Reservoir) and raced pigeons for over 50 years. He stopped well after he'd retired and kept the birds until the last one was killed by a hawk. Only in his last few years did he start losing them to peregrines. He was quite matter of fact about it, blaming the lack of wild birds. "They'd not much else to eat".
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
here is an interesting page that shows the migration of a 2008 Osprey chick "Glen'
http://www.roydennis.org/Glen%2084130.htm

and "Moray"
http://www.roydennis.org/Moray%2084131.htm

"Alma" the Golden Eagle
http://www.roydennis.org/Golden%20Eagle%20Alma%20-%202008.htm

A young Honey Buzzard
http://www.roydennis.org/Migration%20maps%202008.htm

View the whole web site here
http://www.roydennis.org/index.htm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal