We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008  (Read 53630 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 05:11:54 PM »
And aren't we glad about the wonders of digital phtography, Peter, that enable you to bring us these pctures?

The last shot of the harrier swooping off with his prey was very lucky, surely? You could sit for weeks waiting for a shot like that?! Is "lunch" one of the bush-squirrels?  Looks a bit like it.

We have a bizarre fondness for (some) pigeons here, so it is fun to see how the "green pigeon" does exactly "what it says on the tin"  ;)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Wonderful shots Peter.

My wife's work involves trips to Halifax and Rawtenstall (not in the same league as Tanzania I'm afraid)!   :)

Was going to make a comment about lucky Kirk (see image titles), but, unusually, thought better of it...
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
Cliff,

This is the topic for putting one's foot in it...... (see page 1)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 05:50:25 PM »
I usually jump straight in with two Peter!
Has anyone been banished from the forum yet?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Peter Maguire

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
A few more birds
White-browed Coucal (Centropus superciliosus) - Arusha NP (an immature bird, hence the lack of white brow. It's a cuckoo relative)
Yellow vented bulbul (Pyconotus barabatus) - Dar es Salaam
Red eyed dove (Streptopelia semitorquata) - Zanzibar (no, it's not a collared dove in our back garden, honest. Note the bleary-eyed, morning after look).

Maggi, the harrier eagle was carrying the small furry thing on a savannah-like area, the bush squirrel was photographed several hours later in some high altitude rain forest on the rim of a small crater (Ngurdoto, not it's larger relative Ngorogoro in the Serengeti), so I'm assuming it's a different small furry beastie.
Arusha National Park has scenically very varied from savannah to dry woodland to soda and freshwater lakes and rainforest. More than a day's worth of viewing really, we were rushing to finish before sunset to see a good part of the park. It was my first African experience, and as my dream job as a small boy was to be a game warden (this was even before my engine driver phase) I was as 'happy as a pig in muck', to use the polite form of the old expression.
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Peter Maguire

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 06:03:43 PM »
A final few varied creatures from Tanzania:
Yellow headed dwarf gecko (Lygodactylus l. luteupicturartus) - Dar es Salaam
Same gecko, but just moulted
Tropical house gecko (Hemidactylus semitorquata) - Zanzibar
Unkown millipede - Zanzibar (13-15mm diameter, 250mm in length) *probably Archispirotreptis gigas, the giant african millipede - well named!*
Similar, slightly smaller millipede with many stockings on - Zanzibar
Ghost crab - Zanzibar

When I was offered the chance to go to Tanzania, I thought 'have to go, could be the trip of a lifetime' . Now I'm going to have to save up and go back.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:33:07 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
Just magical
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
Wonderful pictures Peter. Many, many thanks. I do admire the millipede's natty red legs and the yellow head of that most attractive gecko. And I've always loved giraffes, such gentle faces and stunning eye-lashes.

We have a fiscal shrike here too. Otherwise known as the Minister of Finance.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 01:47:27 AM »
Very cool pics!!  Thanks for showing us Tanzania.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:49:39 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 05:37:43 AM »
Howdy All,

Not exactly wildlife itself, but rather evidence of wildlife.  This is the bower of the Satin Bower Bird..... it's place of courting of potential mates.  It collects blue things to adorn the bower surrounds (the bird itself is a deep blue-black when fully mature), as well as the occasional yellow or white item.  The males reach maturity at 3 or 4 years of age, but only take on the blue-black colouration once they get to 7.  The green males (they are a bright olive green before they go black) will build and maintain bowers themselves, or borrow the dominant male's bower when he is elsewhere so that they can practice.  I have a couple of rather dodgy photos of a green male I took a couple of months ago at this bower if anyone wants to see them.  A bit dark to be perfectly clear unfortunately.  This pic I took yesterday didn't do too badly in capturing the bower and surrounds at least.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »
Wow, Paul, is that bower in your garden or nearby? Something I've only seen on nature documentaries before!
Do post some pics of the bird if you can.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
Fermi,

No, we don't get them in my suburb YET, but they're slowly moving this way.  They used to only be in the Weston Creek area of Canberra, but now have spread both north and east of there.  They're in the ajacent suburb to us now, or at least in the south easterly areas.... still a little way to go until they get to us.  I don't think my garden has enough cover yet to offer a space for a bower, but it would be SO nice if they did.  The bower shown was in central Canberra, not far from the lake.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
That's the little brute that ate all the fruit of a lovely blue-berried coproma that was nicely ripening for me in NSW. >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
Lesley,

Sounds about right, although he may not have eaten them but rather carried them back to his bower to add to the display.  They are attracted to blue items.... you have to watch your blue pegs on the washing line, or else they won't be.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
Fermi,

As requested, here are a couple of very poor, fuzzy pictures from back in May when I was watching a green male practicing at the bower.  They give the idea, even if they are awful pictures. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal