We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008  (Read 53664 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »
Martin that's a mouse in your photo

Ivi and a couple of other people who happened along thought it was a shrew. But you seem to be a wildlife expert, so I'll take your word for it. At a lower altitude and amongst my bulbs, I'd have been setting traps. Couldn't help admiring any small mammal that manages to eke out an existence in those conditions (though it probably lives on bits of climbers' discarded sarnies!)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Mark.I have 10 collard doves that feed in the garden every day, and in the last two weeks that little turtle dove has come in with them.
I must try and get a better picture of it. That pic was taken through the bedroom window upstairs.

Michael.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
I just reported your Turtle dove to a bird recorder. Dont worry you wont have hordes decending on your garden
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
I must have been amazingly fortunate then, in that the one time I climbed Snowdon (1981) the weather and all the day were perfect. With a friend, the locals thought two slightly (!) overweight women shouldn't be attempting such a climb but we pointed out we were New Zealanders and thought that little hill wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't!

Martin I see you and Ivi are suitably dressed for the British summer. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »
Martin that's a mouse in your photo

Ivi and a couple of other people who happened along thought it was a shrew. But you seem to be a wildlife expert, so I'll take your word for it. At a lower altitude and amongst my bulbs, I'd have been setting traps. Couldn't help admiring any small mammal that manages to eke out an existence in those conditions (though it probably lives on bits of climbers' discarded sarnies!)

Martin, it has visible eyes and large ears so can't be a shrew. http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/forest2/FOLDER01/Shrew.jpg
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Mark,here are a few more pics of the dove that I got this morning, they were taken through a double glazed window so the quality is not good.

Collard doves.
Dispute at the pool.
Dove feeding.
Dove feeding

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:59:10 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
Martin, it has visible eyes and large ears so can't be a shrew. http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/forest2/FOLDER01/Shrew.jpg

Thanks, Anthony. I'll show the link to Ivi as I don't think she's actually seen a shrew before, and obviously neither had the passers-by who were watching it as well. Botany is more her forte.

Lesley, I think I actually prefer Snowdon's summit when it's shrouded in cloud with howling winds (it's much more usual state). It's very atmospheric (in every sense of the word) and sometimes quite sinister and even un-nerving at times, especially if you reach the summit late in the day as the light's starting to go and the summit's dark and brooding  with swirling darkening clouds and howling winds. Then you have to race back down before dark sets in, getting a hint of what it would be like to have to spend a night on the mountain (something I've always wanted to do and must try one of these days).

For a comparatively small mountain, parts of the Snowdon massive can be quite scary in bad weather and dangerous - two or three lives are lost on it every year, mostly in winter, and the rescue helicopter is a common sight, patrolling the ridges for lost climbers (and sometimes lost soldiers on mountain training!)

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
Martin, a shrew is the fiercest animal on earth and can eat its own body weight in one sitting and still be hungry. :o A Californian herpetologist once caught one and put it into a cage with a small rattlesnake. The next day he looked in the cage only to find the shrew desperately looking round the cage for more snakes to eat! I once came across a cat that was playing with a shrew in the gutter not far from my house. Thinking my approach would cause the cat to grab its prey and scarper I approached the pair. The cat did the latter but not the former, leaving the supposedly comatose (!?) shrew at the side of the pavement. I touched it with my foot, it immediately came round and shot up the inside of the leg of my jeans! ??? I had to walk home with this fiercesome beastie roaming round my nether regions in search of a tasty morsel! ::) I stripped off in the snake room and then had to try to catch said shrew. Needless to say it was later released! :-[
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:23:48 PM by Anthony Darby »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
... a shrew is the fiercest animal on earth and can eat its own body weight in one sitting and still be hungry

Anthony ... we must not forget the other dictionary definition of 'a shrew'...   :)

shrew
     n 1: a scolding nagging bad-tempered woman [syn: termagant]
     2: small mouselike mammal with a long snout; related to moles
        [syn: shrewmouse]
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
This one was definitely not for taming! Even so, I reckon it knew when it had met its match! :o I can still sing bottom C!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »

Lesley, I think I actually prefer Snowdon's summit when it's shrouded in cloud with howling winds

But then, you'd have to say that, wouldn't you?  :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2008, 11:36:24 PM »
[quote author=Martin Baxendale link=topic=2080.msg56785#msg56785 date=Then you have to race back down before dark sets in, getting a hint of what it would be like to have to spend a night on the mountain (something I've always wanted to do and must try one of these days).[/quote]

You better first discuss this with Modest Mussorgsky!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:23 PM »
I once came across a cat that was playing with a shrew in the gutter not far from my house. Thinking my approach would cause the cat to grab its prey and scarper I approached the pair. The cat did the latter but not the former, leaving the supposedly comatose (!?) shrew at the side of the pavement. I touched it with my foot, it immediately came round and shot up the inside of the leg of my jeans! ??? I had to walk home with this fiercesome beastie roaming round my nether regions in search of a tasty morsel! ::) I stripped off in the snake room and then had to try to catch said shrew. Needless to say it was later released! :-[

Rowan Atkinson could make something of this. ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2008, 03:07:13 AM »
My pics of Otto's kookaburra aren't better than Paul's (see Reply 145) but perhaps they have a more Maggi-enticing background. It was just a matter of angle. Otto's window was perfectly clean both inside and out but there was a whitish haze which comes through in the pictures.

86904-0

86906-1

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
Lesley,

Otto's windows were TOO clean.  They were reflecting the inside room while trying to photograph the outside world.  I found that a little with my camera as well, but it was a bit easier as I was facing directly through the window and therefore photographing through my own reflection, which was fairly dark.  You were getting the reflections of the kitchen tiles etc.  Still better than my pics though. 8)

Anthony,

That has to be the most elaborate story I've ever heard to justify having a small furry animal down your pants!!  :o ;) ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:26:25 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal