We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008  (Read 53639 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wildlife - Summer, Autumn 2008
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2008, 07:01:39 PM »
Think you chaps will find the unhappy Cardinal's name was WOLSEY  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »
Enjoy your casserole David. Red wine is a good addition.

It was very good Lesley. I got two bottles of Red out, one a Tesco cheapy to go in the casserole and one good one to go with the meal. Of course I didn't supervise the culinary process and the good one went in the casserole by mistake. Still, we enjoyed it, and the heron did too! Feel quite mellow really. ;D 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:32 PM »
Oops. :-[ That must have been after Henry VIII had someone chop bits off him Maggi? ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »
Oops. :-[ That must have been after Henry VIII had someone chop bits off him Maggi? ;D

I think you are mixing up your Thomases Anthony. Wolsey died at Leicester Abbey in November 1530 whilst on his way from Cawood in Yorkshire to the Tower of London to answer a charge of high treason. As far as I'm aware he had the full quota of limbs. Now Thomas a Beckett.............!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »
I came across this juvenile Gannet sitting on the beach, obviously fed up with the gales and rain we have been experiencing today.  You can still seee the vestiges of the down on its head.  If it can get back out to sea, it has a good chance of surviving.  If not..............
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »
Tom do you think the young gannet may be blind? His eye looks very cloudy...it may just be the third eyelid ( I think birds have those?? ??? ) but it looks strangely opaque :-\
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:03:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2008, 09:55:47 PM »

I think you are mixing up your Thomases Anthony. Wolsey died at Leicester Abbey in November 1530 whilst on his way from Cawood in Yorkshire to the Tower of London to answer a charge of high treason. As far as I'm aware he had the full quota of limbs. Now Thomas a Beckett.............!!
Ah yes - who will rid me of this meddlesome priest? - Henry II Not doing very well am I? :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
I thought this myself but they do have a nictating membrane to protect them from salt water.  It was aware of my presence but it was pointing into a gale so maybe it was just protecting its eyes.  The Gannet colony at Ailsa Craig is only about 15 miles from where I took this picture today.  This is the third young Gannet I have seen inshore in the past week.
The parent birds abandon them in the nest and starvation forces the young birds to jump into the sea.  At this stage they are too heavy to fly so they must survive on their fat reserves until they can get airborne and then start fishing.  It is a finely judged affair.  If we get rough seas and gales then the young birds get weakened and blown ashore where they can die of starvation.  Nature is a hard task master.
Here is a close up shot of the bird's head.  If it was a human, you would say it had cataracts.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »
It was very good Lesley. I got two bottles of Red out, one a Tesco cheapy to go in the casserole and one good one to go with the meal. Of course I didn't supervise the culinary process and the good one went in the casserole by mistake. Still, we enjoyed it, and the heron did too! Feel quite mellow really. ;D 
David,
never cook with a wine you wouldn't be bothered drinking!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Fermi, my problem is I rarely find a wine that is not worth drinking! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »
Howdy All,

Some pictures taken this afternoon.  The Maned Ducks are what produced those lovely little ducklings I posted a pic of a week or so ago (Sorry Mark, just realised I never did end up posting a pic of the parent as I have promised.  I have a good closeup shot if you're still interested?).  Despite the fact that at least one kept hiding, there were 9 ducklings in this family.   

These black swans with 5 cygnets were beside the road as we left a nursery late today.  Dreadful light, otherwise they could have been really stunning pictures.  Despite being "wild" they were so used to people that I actually hand fed one of them at one point.  Even the cygnets were in arms reach of me.  Then again, at Floriade the other day people were hand feeding a pair of swans and cygnets.  Got some good pictures then too.  Don't want to bore you with more swan and cygnet pics though, as I figure this is enough.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:37:18 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »
Howdy All,

A picture taken the other day in the Tasmanian section of the Australian National Botanic Gardens (on the rocks around the bottom pond).  There are quite a few Eastern Water Dragons sunning themselves in this picture, in fact there are at least 26.  I've made this a bit larger than usual, so you have a better chance of seeing them.  Some are 3/4 hidden behind others, but I always try to count heads to work out what is where.  Sometimes the heads are hidden and you can only see the tail etc, but generally the heads are the easiest way to find them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
Paul,
a interesting lot of Eastern Water Dragons.
What do they usually eat? 
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Predominantly insects as far as I know, although I would imagine that would extend to some of the water life.  Unsure whether they go for frogs or not.  Nothing particularly large as far as I know.  Given how many Eastern Banjo Frogs (common name is "Pobblebonks") there are in the area they don't go after the larger frogs at the very least.  We've lost no small children either.  ;) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
Thanks, Paul.
Cute Dragons ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal