We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus to mid February 2007  (Read 63333 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus to mid February 2007
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Thank you for the welcome (although I posted a little on the old forum).

My green elwesii is no less green than it was two years ago.  I found it in a different location, by a lamp post, actually.  So I have every reason to hope it will remain constant.  On the other hand, none of the offsets has yet managed to flower.  Am I counting my chickens too soon?
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2007, 04:57:36 AM »
Hi Alan

thanks for the picture of the Green Elwesii - it is a lovely looking plant - when you want to trial it in other gardens you have a willing volunteer here!...   ;D

John - thanks for your thoughts on the use of bark.  I have been top dressing with it for the 5 years that I have lived here.  It is actually just the non composted bark that I have used (decorative mulch).  For the last 2 or 3 years I have been growing snowdrops and they seem reasonably happy - but I have heard from so many people that bark is bad for them - hence my original post/question on the subject.  It is good to hear of your use of composted bark and I shall look out for that in the spring when it is time to replenish my mulch.

regards

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »
The was a question posed a few days ago about where to visit in the vicinity of Colesbourne http://www.snowdrop.org.uk/.

You could take a look at Painswick Rococo Garden http://www.rococogarden.co.uk/.  I recall mass plantings of a 'wrong' snowdrop - atkinsii maybe.

Also nearby is Rodmarton Manor http://www.rodmarton-manor.co.uk/ which is well worth a visit.  "The garden will be open for snowdrops on 11th, 15th and 18th February from 1.30pm."

Edit:  Oh.  I have just discoverd there is a whole page on Colesbourne (and also that my reply is too late to be apposite).  Maybe a moderator can move this reply to the appropriate page?

Not to worry, the post you make is relevant here. I am confident that those reading the Colesbourne page will read this too! Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:18:00 AM by Maggi Young »
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:39 AM »
Alan you need to get the green elwesii twinscaled. It's too good to let die. I know someone who will do it for you. She does many every year.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »
Fortunately, my green elwesii is not the only one.  When I asked permission of the garden owner to take it from the verge of her garden, we looked round and found another one growing elsewhere.  The garden has many naturalised elwesii and some nivalis and plicatus also.  Since this initial discovery I found one more and I understand several others have turned up.  For some reason they seem to manifest as dispersed singles rather than in a clump.

I would like to wait until I have at least two flowering bulbs before I consider getting one twin-scaled. 
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »
Anne,
How could you try to spoil my fun so cruelly. Hurt, it's the only word for it. Heartbroken, to hear the poor snowdrops spoken/written of in such disparaging terms. I'm overwhelmed by this blow. Reeeeeling, I am. How could you? AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Anthony,
You had me worried with your comment on 'John Gray' and I looked in the snowdrop book, read very carefully, studied the photographs etc and could find nothing in the photograph to alarm me. The pedicle seems to me to be to description though the angle of the spathe to the pedicle in this photograph is, perhaps, a little odd. However, there is a simple explanation for this: the hand of the photographer giving a little twist on the stem lower down so as to face the flower in a more suitable way for the photograph. What did you notice?

Re 'James Backhouse', I find there is a certain range of variation between the flowers in the clump and this one was chosed for the photograph because it seemed the most photogenic! The illustration in the snowdrop book, page 227, shows two rather 'demented' flowers. The one on the left is particularly odd but the one on the right is closer to the one I photographed. I would describe mine as one of the better examples of 'James Backhouse' - and I am sometimes even more full of it than this!

Alan,
The green elwesii is just a beauty. No wonder it is your pride and joy. Well spotted. May it grow in health and in number and may you enjoy it as much always.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2007, 10:39:24 PM »
I'll take a pic of my John Gray.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »
Do you mean the pedicle is strange because the scape is upright? I have never seen a good 'John Gray' as they always fall over. Best grown in a trough says David Bromley
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2007, 01:04:32 PM »
Aye, Mark, 'John Gray' is inclined to flop about a bit; it's a fairly tall plant or perhaps he was fond of the wee drop. I haven't found it falling over to the extent of lying on the ground fortunately but with this unfortunate habit in mind I planted mine is a very sheltered spot so as, at least, not to have the wind adding to its bad habits and this has proved reasonably successful.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:09:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »
Isaw Maggis's posting about mixed pot of 'UK' snowdrops at the garden centre and found some in our local one bearing the same label. There was just one pot in any sort of health, perhaps beecause they are all growing in peat compost and had been allowed to dry out. I bought the good one and waspleased with the variation. No two were the same.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »
Not at all surprised that you are pleased with this batch, John. Lots of variation for just a few quid, if the prices down there are same as here. £2.48 per pot, I :D think

Surround them with barbed wire and everyone will think you're a millionaire!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »
I was robbed!!! Had to shell out £2.99 for mine.    :'(
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
Crikey, Jof, you'll really need that barbed wire ,then :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
cheap at half the price - they are charging 5.99 a pot at a garden centre in Kent!

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
Had to take the weans to my parents' in Doune as Stirling schools had inservice training yesterday and today. Saw this unusual nivalis 'Viridapicis' in their lawn so took its pic in the gloom when I picked them up again (no snow dropping here in central Scotland yet). I just think it is a freak occurance and probably won't be repeated?

Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal