We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus to mid February 2007  (Read 63332 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Galanthus to mid February 2007
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2007, 01:41:18 PM »
Maggi that's why I'm wearing a cap it saves on soap
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2007, 02:11:08 PM »
I sneaked, again!, home about a hour ago because it's a lovely day here. All flowers that open and close, in the garden and glass house, are wide open. I'll have to get the pollinating brush out.

For those experiementing with Galanthus: G. 'Trym's markings are dominant especiually when crossed with G. gracilis
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
Ian,

These snowdrops just take you under your control so that you will ensure the survival of the species. It's a clever evolutionary development on their part.

I wondered about the 'Mighty Atom' and its different appearances from different growing conditions. A similar occurence happened here but due to a different reason. Early last summer I put a good mulch of garden compost on one bed which had several clumps of snowdrops. Naturally enough this meant they were then buried deeper than they had been originally and so when they came into growth and flower this year they seemed much lower to the ground than previously.

Re identification, I'm afraid I wouldn't dream of putting myself forward as an expert. It was just that 'Sharlockii' strikes me as distinctive, well, as distinctive as any of these little things can be.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »
'Fraid I'm not a galanthophile....... in that I am not a collector of white things with a few green spots....... ;D  ;D ;D ;D
So dare I tread into this thread, having nailed my colours to the mast? However, it's been such a lovely day here in East Linton that I took a walk up to Smeaton where the snaw dreeps were just bonny. Sorry folk, nothing fancy, just plain old nivalis, but a gloriously uplifting sight after such dreadful weather lately.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
Dave wonderful sight Nivalis is always beautiful. It's a good job you are not a Galanthophile as most will be different there would be the opportunity another couple of thousand variations to name  ;D

Paddy the taller  Mighty Atom / little Ben is under evergreens and gets less moisture and the soil is less good so I'm still confused.

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2007, 05:55:58 PM »
David surely there must be another species added in there somewhere such as G. plicatus which is quite common in Scotland. When I was in Scotland last year we found 100s of poculiforms and semi poculiforms

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
No problem there Ian, cos I'm a lumper. But I think with the population at Smeaton the hardened galanthophile would be hard put to find anything remotely distinct. No doubles/semi doubles, no yellow bits, just a simple splash of green ;D A few years ago, I showed this site to Matt Bishop, who said this was one of the least variable populations he'd seen!!!! But then again, there's no stopping some galanthophiles.   :D :D :D :D

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2007, 06:04:19 PM »
I don't believe it, but you're welcome to come and look, Mark. There's a challenge for you.  :) The location should be good for at least another week or so........

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
Dave unfortunately my travelling during snowdrop time 2007 ends this weekend. I'll have been out of N Ireland for 12 days.

Some people have said they would rather see snowdrops photographed without a background. This doesnt really help for ID purposes. I got home early enough to take photos during the last hour of day light. Feel free to comment on background or no background

'David Shackleton'
elwesii short form unnamed
'Little John'
nivalis ex Lac de Balcere
plicatus 'Wendy's Gold'
unknown - lost label

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:13:42 PM by mark smyth »

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
Dave,

No matter how fancy the various snaw dreep cultivars we seek out and collect none can surpass the sight of a large planting of the common snowdrop.
Wonderful sight!
Many thanks.

Mark,
Lovely photographs. Re background or lack thereof: Personally I prefer the background of the garden as long, of course, as the gable end of the garage or other such like doesn't intrude. The use of a plain colour background has its uses also. As you say, it is very beneficial when close scrutiny of the flower is desired or when the illustration is for identification purposes. I suppose my photographs are simply for my own pleasure and not for illustration purposes.
'David Shackleton' is an excellent snowdrop, always a good  performer.
As my youngest is named John, 'Little John' has interest for that reason alone but is a good snowdrop in its own right also.
G. nivalis ex Lac de Balcere is a fine bulky nivalis - unusually big and well flaired outer segments for G. nivalis; a good one.

Paddy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »
none can surpass the sight of a large planting of the common snowdrop. says Paddy.
The glory of a mass of flowers like these in a snowdrop wood is truly charming. I believe that it is the fact that we can see such drifts of snowies at an otherwise dismal time of year that is their real charm. The fact that lots of fun can be had by the fanatics in seeking rarities has rather overshadowed the real delight of these flowers, performing like theatrical stars in their
 natural(-ised)  setting. By the time our woods are full of bluebells, there are so many other plants to take our attention, and bluebells, bless 'em, though lovely, are just too keen to colonise the world.
All this is true for those in the UK or Ireland, of course, were we with Rafa or Ibrahim then we might be less inclined to be so snowie blinded!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
Paddy do you have/want 'Little John'?

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2007, 09:31:17 PM »
I agree, agree, agree Maggi

BUT...please, 'enthusiasts' not 'fanatics'.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
Mark,

Many thanks for your kind offer, greatly appreciated.
Yes, 'Little John' was one I just had to have, son's namesake and all that. I suppose we collect snowdrops for less valid reasons!

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »
Two ordinary snowdrops from the garden, photographed yesterday and one special one for Anne Wright, one I hope you like Anne.

G. 'Limetree'
G. X Allenii
G. 'S. Arnott' striped: this flower is from a patch of G. 'S. Arnott' which is growing in the garden. I thought it looked interesting.

And, oh yes, Mark, you will note the use of the background card. It was miserable outside yesterday, torrential rain, so I picked and photographed indoors - which, unfortunately, explains the grainy nature of the phogograph, high ISO.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:01:25 PM by Paddy Tobin »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal