We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February, March, April/Autumn in the southern hemisphere  (Read 47142 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: February/Autumn in the southern hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2007, 04:27:56 AM »
To complete the hat-trick, a Merendera montana (?now Colchicum montanum) and Acis autumnalis (was Leucojum autumnale); as it's no longer a leucojum can it still qualify as a leucojock?????YES! Ian
Last is a poor flower on what I have as Colchicum "Atropurpureum": any comments? If not that, what is it?
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:25:15 AM by Ian Y »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »
You'd have to call it a Leuco-aussie Fermi, or perhaps Leukozzie.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2007, 08:51:41 AM »
I'm still hoping for flowers on Leucojum roseum (Acis rosea) this year.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »
I saw C atropurpureum at RBG Edinburgh last year.  Fantastic DARK pink, almost purple.  Your plant looks about the same size and shape but not the same colour :(

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2007, 03:44:33 AM »
I remarked to Thomas recently that i had very few Crocus species and lo and behold this is what i found this week in one of the many troughs i was gifted from up country awhile back --i'm sure not all flowered last autumn so it appears some bulbs took a couple of seasons to adjust to the shift to a moist cooler climate..

Crocus banaticus --lilac ,white and in between

Crocus ??.

Finally--Another Colchicum to accompany Fermes one of a few days ago--

Colchicum autumnale alboplenum

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2007, 05:09:14 AM »
Great pics Dave and everyone else.  The COlchicum atropurpureum looks right for what I have as that.  Maybe we here in Aus have a lighter colour form?  It always comes down to what was imported or grown from seed here.... so may not be the same as the "normal" for the northern hemisphere.

Love the double white Colchicum.... I had it and Waterlily briefly before they both died.  No idea why they did it but it was a dark day when I found their pots empty!! <sigh>  Almost all my Colchicums have finished now... just C. speciosum album still in flower and lookign stunning.  Also flowering are lots of different Cyclamen, Lycoris radiata (rarely ever flowers for me either in pots or the garden), Nerine species (angulata, masoniorum, humilis, rosea) and a few hybrids, a pink Rhodophiala, Habranthus estensis (a favourite Habranthus of mine), Sternbergia lutea (which apparently may actually be S. sicula, sold in Aus as lutea?), Dahlias, Cannas, Tricyrtis of various colours and types and a few other bits and pieces.  All in all a rather nice little selection about the garden although not majorly colourful due to still being in severe drought despite some small rains which have left the paddocks around here bright green.  We're definitely in what is called a "green drought" here in Canberra.

I too have very few Crocus as yet..... just one little pulchellus out so far.  Having checked a few pots I am thinking that many will not flower but rather have split into smaller corms instead of maturing into flowering size.  Most likely a response to our spring heat and drought at that time. <sigh>  Hopefully the rest of them are still in there though..... I've only checked a few pots of the early things like pulchellus, banaticus etc.  I don't expect any flowers at all from banaticus which is a real shame.  They're a favourite of mine.  my friend Lyn here in Canberra has already had her banaticus flower and finish.... despite being in the same city we can be weeks apart in our flowering of things.  She has a much more protected garden than mine.

Nice to be back up here.  Sorry for the long absence.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »
Welcome back Paul, yes, it's been a long time and we've missed you. Hope you are well?

Your C. banaticus are lovely Dave, especially the top dark one. I have the first of my whites out today, in a patch where next door's cat had a dig recently so they're a bit scattered. Also a couple of pulchellus and kotschyanus. Your unknowns above are speciosus.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2007, 07:00:27 AM »
Fermi, my Acis roseum are finished now. Just a last couple of flowers at present. I meant to take a pic but didn't get round to it. Trying to get a hundred jobs finished before my holiday.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: February, March/Autumn in the southern hemisphere
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:26 PM »
Lesley,

Thanks for the welcome back.  Not too bad health-wise at the moment thankfully.

Fermi,

My Leucojum roseum are pretty much finished now, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to yours! LOL
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2007, 03:39:09 AM »
Three pics of single blooms out now. The crocuses and colchicums haven't really got going yet which means they're quite late. Or dead! One crocus however, is C. mathewii, an import from Tasmania a year ago. I thought it is a spring flowering species? This has a very strong but not particularly pleasant scent.

12039-0

Then Gladiolus carmineus which seems to flower any time from April through to August. It was late winter last year, mid autumn this year. A mere 15 cms in height.

12041-1

and finally Gentiana acaulis. This particular plant flowers very palest blue in spring and pure white in autumn. No seed yet.

12043-2

There will now be a deathly silence from this neck of the woods for the better part of 2 weeks, as I spend time with super friends in Australia. First in the Dandenongs east of Melbourne then in Tasmania and then in the Blue Mountains of NSW. But I expect you will be positively inundated with pictures when I get home on the 20th April.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 03:45:32 AM by Lesley Cox »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
Lesley, be safe, have a great trip and let's see all the pictures.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
Lesley,

Looking forward to an interesting post on your return. Enjoy the trip.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
One specially for Paddy who just loves figures. The "crow flies" distance between Dunedin and Melbourne is 1400 miles or 2253 Km! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
David,

I refuse to rise to the taunt! Haaaaaaaa

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2007, 07:49:50 AM »
Lesley,

Gladiolus carmineus has just finished here as well.  Still only a couple of Crocus pulchellus here as yet.... my friend Lyn here in Canberra already has had half a dozen species in flower.  Some of them I know will flower for me this year as they do every year, but they aren't even up yet in MY garden despite being finished in hers.  All in the same city. LOL  I love the Crocus mathewii.  I hope mine from Marcus does as well.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal