We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra  (Read 114446 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
If anyone is interested I can send them a larger pic which better shows the detail in the flower.  I've tried to stick to pictures which fit onto smaller screens, so I've lost a bit of the detail but I think the flower still shows up pretty well?

Paul, that is a kind offer for anyone wantingto really examine the plnants in close up detail, thank you.

I would just remind folks that you can "click on the pic" to bring up a larger version on your screen... and most will find this a good size to see super detail.

As an aside, Paul, you will see I have been editing your posts to make a space between your attachments... this makes each pic more clear, I think!

Thanks indeed for introducing so many of us to plants we really know nothing about.... I'm learning so much from your posts,  I am just delighted!! 8)

Maggi,

The reason I had left them together was to show the name applied to both photos, rather than labelling each photo separately.  Do I continue doing the one name/information for a pair of pics (with a space between the pics) or would you prefer me to put name information below each pic?

Sorry re the click information.  I just think of them as the same as the attachments below postings (which I assume people know to click) and so never remember to put a reminder in to click the pictures to get bigger versions.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
Lovely stuff Paul, thanks for taking the time to post them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »
You're welcome, David.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »
Paul, not a problem about putting a "click" reminder... I just mention it every now and again for new readers who may not be aware that the pix enlarge.
I don't think it's necessary for you to put the name twice when you have two or more pix relating to the  same plant... I think it is fairly clear that there are multiple shots... and very handy that is, too, by the way, shows us the closeup/ flowers/ foliage and general habit etc.... very useful, especially for plants we've never seen before! 
So enjoying these threads from the deep south..... thanks again!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
I've just discovered this thread. It's absolutely fascinating
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
Paul,

Great to have you continuing this fantastic thread as you are showing us a range of plants not common here.

Many thanks, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »
Paul,
an impressive series of great shots. 8)
Thanks for displaying and introducing a colorful unknown part of the world to us :o
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
Howdy All,

A few more pics from around the 30th November/1st of December......

Click on the pics for a bigger version.

95688-0

95690-1
Agrostocrinum scabrum is a small grassy plant to about 60cm tall.  Flowers are around 2.5cm wide.  Very pretty, but something I have never seen until I came across them in an area of the ANBG that I don't usually get a chance to look through.

95692-2

95694-3
Billardiera fusiformis, a scrambling plant that tends to climb up something then drape all over it.

95696-4

95698-5
Billardiera lehmanniana, another scrambling plant.

95700-6

95704-7
This Hibiscus divaricatus was only a relatively young plant, so there wasn't much to photograph plant-wise.  The flower was about 12cm wide and the most glowing yellow.... but deep in the flower there were reds, oranges, touches of purple on the stamens etc.  The pics don't do the colours justice, but hopefully you get the idea.

I think I'll leave it there for tonight.  I have some more prepared which I'll post tomorrow, but time to get to bed for my beauty sleep.... and boy, do I need a lot of that.  ::) ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2008, 06:45:47 AM »
Howdy All,

Here are the others from last night which I didn't get a chance to post....

95859-0

95861-1
Conostylis misera is something that is easy to miss.  The flower is about 2.5cm wide, and the plant really isn't much taller than that either.  There are a few species which are very flat like this, as well as species that have tall stems of small flowers.

95865-2

95867-3
Grevillea pilosa ssp pilosa is another of the small groundcover types that probably a lot of people never notice.  Like the G. nudiflora this one has wonderful flowers when you really look at them, which again aren't really shown in the smaller picture.

95869-4

95871-5
The Pultenaea elachista are wonderful in closeup, on a rather small plant that again many would miss.  So many small things that some people would never see.  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:48:39 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »
:o :o :o Australian plants are superb! I wanna go there, i wanna go there!!!!!
Start saving your pesos, Michael!
You know you'll have plenty of Forum members who'd be happy to give you a bed when you get here! Canberra, South Australia, Redesdale, the dandenongs...
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Michael

« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
Thanks Fermi!

I know it will be a little expensive to make a trip there, but i want and will do someday, just after i finish my studies! The old world region is fascinating, and Australian flora speak by itself.

By the way, the bulb seeds you sent me last year are getting huge. They grew a lot, taking onto account that they are only one year old. I am expecting flowers very soon!!
 :D
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
Meant to respond to Fermi's comment, but forgot until now.....

No spare beds at our place unfortunately.  You would be most welcome to visit though, and there is always the couch to sleep on.  We quite literally do not have a spare bed....  :o  Never actually had to accomodate people staying over, but I'm sure we'd manage if it came to it.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »
Paul,
This seems a never ending story.............
So many goodies.... totally unknown to me... but very beautiful indeed !
Thanks again for taking the time to post all these !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #193 on: December 09, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
You're welcome Luc!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:01 AM »
Howdy All,

Rainy day here today (Yeah!!), so came home from work early and have been processing a few pics for posting.  Rather than mixing them up I thought I'd post a bunch of different varieties from different genus together, so that you could see some comparisons.  I thought I'd start with Grevillea8)  These are all loved by honeyeaters.

Remember to click on the pic if you're wanting to see a larger version.

96331-0

96333-1
Grevillea arenaria is very subtle when in flower, and I guess most would miss that it even has flowers.  The small flowers are very subtlely coloured, with small heads of maybe a half dozen buds where only a single flower (ocassionally 2)are out at one time.  I love the silvery foliage to it as well.  The plant in the pic if about 2.4m tall by maybe 3m wide.  The flower is about 3cm long.

96335-2

96337-3
Grevillea barklyana grows to about 2.5m from memory, spreading out wide branches which show off the flowers nicely.

96339-4

96341-5

96343-6
Grevillea caleyi has almost horizontal branches, neatly showing the "toothbrush" flowers  The flowerhead is about 10 to 12cm long and the new growth in particular is a soft and fuzzy bronze.  ;D

96345-7
I think I posted a pic of Grevillea dielsiana early on in this topic, but it is such a nice flower that I'll show it again.  Also shows that it flowers for long periods, as I think I photographed it last in around May or so.  The flowers don't sit out horizontally like the "toothbrush" types, but rather are pendulous in appearance.  These flowerheads were about 7 or 8cm long in total.

96347-8

96349-9
Grevillea insignis ssp insignis has the most stunning flowers, on good silvery blue foliage.  The main drawback is that it is very spikey, and there is one on the main rockery that harbours weeds beautifully under it, making it SO much fun for weeding.  ::)  I've included a closeup of a set of freshly opening flowers, plus an older set of flowers with some foliage in view.  I have seen plants of this to at least 3m tall, but I do not know whether this is a maximum height or whether that it just as large as any have yet got in the ANBG (out of the ones I have found, anyway).

More Grevilleas in a moment......

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal