We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Re: Orchids summer\autumn 2008  (Read 29692 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Orchids summer\autumn 2008
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
Rob,

Not sure it likes my place more... just has been warmer here. Too warm to be honest..... forecasting 32'C here in a couple of days. :o  Had ice on the car this morning though.  :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
Rob,

Not sure it likes my place more... just has been warmer here. Too warm to be honest..... forecasting 32'C here in a couple of days. :o  Had ice on the car this morning though.  :o :o

I can beat that - Thursday's frost sliced the tops off half the garden. Fruit from southern Tassie will be scarce this season.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »
Iced cars here the last few days in Aberdeen, too.
Bad news for our farmers who still have not managed to harvest their grain crops  :'(

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »
Paul

what a fabulous blue,I would love to grow it but no sun here.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »
Paul,

The seedling is Thelymitra pauciflora.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:10:44 AM by rob krejzl »
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:44 AM »
Rob,

If that one that I got from you is pauciflora, then I have to wonder as to whether my other one under that name is correct.... much smaller and pink!! ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
Rob,

If that one that I got from you is pauciflora, then I have to wonder as to whether my other one under that name is correct.... much smaller and pink!! ???

T. pauciflora: Flowers 1-15, opening tardily, 12-20 mm across, pale blue to bright blue, sometimes white or pink (my emphasis).
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
Rob,

Thanks.  The other big difference is that your plant has flowers open a lot of the time, at least I have seen it open most times I have checked during suitable sunshine.  The pink one has obviously had flowers opening at some point as I did see a couple half-open on one occasion, but I have yet to see it properly open regardless of time and how much sun it is in.  I think it has nearly finished now too, so I doubt I will see it until next year now.  Very different in that respect to your robust and readily flowering plant.  Great blue on yours too.  Thanks again so much for it, I've enjoyed it immensely.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »
Paul,

I suspected it was pauciflora even before it flowered (there's a colony of several hundred plants just a few hundred metres away), but had to wait to confirm it. Like your pink one, the flowers in the colony don't open either; completely cleistogamic in our normal temperatures.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:31 AM »
Rob,

If that colony doesn't open, then why does the one you sent me open so well?  Would that mean it is a hybrid of some type?  Or is it just that some are and some aren't?  But.... if that is the case, why does the seedling you gave me open well when the colony near you which you think are the parents, doesn't?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
Not sure it likes my place more... just has been warmer here

You already answered your own question.

Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2008, 12:12:47 AM »
OK, but the pink pauciflora still barely opens, whereas yours is open for much of the day.  Yours seems not in the slightest bit shy about opening it's flowers.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »
Pauciflora has a very wide distribution (from QLD to Tas and SA) and is acknowledged as a species complex. Your pink flowered form probably comes from a very different population. Why wouldn't they have a different response to temperature?

The fact that mine opens well with higher temps is interesting though, because it shows that the parents aren't limited to self-pollination. I always like being reminded not to make assumptions about things.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
Today we were at the Norfolk and Norwich Hort. Soc. late Autumn Show where there were some orchids which you may find interesting.  I am no expert so hope I have not made any mistakes! The three orchid class was won by three Paphlopedilum, P.Maudiae, P.Alma Gevart and P. Deperle. The next class was won by a little Dendrobium terragonum var.giganteum (which was my personal favourite).  The same exhibitor had entered a group which was my main reason for posting as it included Paphlopedilum coccineum species which I was told was found in Vietnam in 2000 and had been stripped from the habitat, her seed has now flowered for the first time and she was quite excited!  Also in the group were Cattleya dowiana x, Phragmipedium sedenii and Coel(ogyne?) barbata amongst others.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2008, 10:56:11 PM »
Super images Brian. Many thanks for posting.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal