We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus September 2008  (Read 40298 times)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
Re: Crocus September 2008
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2008, 07:18:35 AM »
crocus speciosus 'Oxonian' - good colour, but weaker tubes for such a large-sized flowers
crocus speciosus 'Cloudy Sky' - vigorous, large-flowered and tall (up to 25 cm), outer tepals are milky-white from outside, very thick tube, large corms.
sternbergia sicula
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Rob & Lesley -

Thanks for comments. I have no problem flowering other forms of C. niveus. The Marcus Harvey plant (from a UK supplier) was described as either lilac or white from collection made in  the Peloponnese between Tripolis & Sparta. I've had it since 1998 & my patience has finally run out.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Gerry, have you tried to plant them outside?? It will work or not - better to throw them in the rubbish!

Zhirair, I love your Crocus 'Cloudy Sky', but from your photo it looks
like a crocus with white anthers and yellow throat - also called Crocus pulchellus!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Thomas,

I remember your last year comments about the colour of the anthers of my crocus speciosus 'Cloudy Sky'. This year I specially paid attention to this aspect and should say that it has creamy anthers. In difference, my crocus speciosus Goris has orange anthers. Anyway, 'Cloudy Sky' doesn't remind me or look like crocus pulchellus at all; and it is even difficult to think about its hybrid origin, as crocus pulchellus doesn't grow in Armenia.

I am waiting for blooming of my crocus speciosus Pambak, which is from the same locality as 'Cloudy Sky', but has uniform colour. As I remember it also should have creamy anthers.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2008, 12:28:06 PM »
Zhirair,

Fantastic pics, particularly the 'Mani White' pics.  Stunning flowers!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
Wonderful flowers Zhirair !
I agree with Paul - the clump of goulimyi "Many White" is a real stunner !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
Thomas,

I remember your last year comments about the colour of the anthers of my crocus speciosus 'Cloudy Sky'. This year I specially paid attention to this aspect and should say that it has creamy anthers. In difference, my crocus speciosus Goris has orange anthers. Anyway, 'Cloudy Sky' doesn't remind me or look like crocus pulchellus at all; and it is even difficult to think about its hybrid origin, as crocus pulchellus doesn't grow in Armenia.

Zhirair, I'm with you, 'Cloudy Sky' indeed looks like a true speciosus from flower shape and style. But there are still the two features of creamy/white anthers and yellow throat that generally set a Crocus as pulchellus. Even if C. pulchellus doesn't grow in Armenia according to literature - you know plants don't read these books and it's always possible to find new habitats of plants, not known to botanics before. Did you also observe the throat of your plant? Is it yellow?

In every case your selection is a wonderful plant!!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
crocus goulimyi 'Many White' - superb cultivar, vigorous, abundant bloomer and good increaser

Zhirair - I agree completely with your comments on 'Mani White'. Given its vigour & rate of increase.
many nurseries charge a ridiculously high price for it.

Thomas - my patience is  exhausted - it's for the rubbish.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Thomas,

I am posting photos of crocus speciosus Goris from the South of the country. I am interested in your opinion about it as well. I hope with this one everything is O.K.

Gerry,
I grwo different forms of crocus goulimyi, and, no doubt, 'Many White' is the best. Besides, it flowers for a  very long period of time, as a single corm produces masses of flowers.

Relating crocus niveus, I think it's better to get rid of it, get a good clone and enjoy it. I grow different forms of this crocus, it is a good spesies, but I must admitt that there are also very unimpressive and not attractive variations among this species, which are not very vigorous, have week tubes and not long lasting. This year I am going to select the best ones and get rid of the other worse forms.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »
crocus speciosus Goris
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »
Wonderful extra-large sized flowers - true speciosus to my eye!!

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
I more into snowdrops but i had to buy these to swap for Galanthusses. I kept some for myself and they are very beautiful, but i am not going to start a Crocuscollection.
I bought these as 2 forms from Crocus speciosus Aino.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:30:59 AM by Gerard Oud »

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2008, 05:55:31 AM »
Thomas,
I am pleased you liked crocus speciosus Goris. It's right, it is large-flowered and tall, but 'Cludy Sky' is much more vigorous, larger and considerably taller (up to 25 cm), having twise as big corms, stronger tubes and being more floriferous.

Gerard,
Thanks for sharing the pics of crocus speciosus 'Aino'. I would like to ask if your photos clearly reflect its colour. In the descriptions, it is said that 'Aino' has the same dark colour of 'Oxonian', just having stronger tubes; or shortly speaking - it is improved 'Oxonian'.

Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
The C. speciosus goris is very nice.

here are some of mine out today in the first sunshine of the summer.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2008, 05:58:56 PM »
Wonderful pix Tony !  All really good, but that bi-coloured C. speciosus is a real eye-catcher !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal