We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus September 2008  (Read 40477 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocus September 2008
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:48 PM »
Beauties Thomas, all of them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
What a magnificent show Thomas !!!
Thanks for showing them !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2008, 05:50:02 AM »
Very beutiful pictures, Thomas, and as always photographed with taste and professionalism.

Relating crocuses, it's quite hard to charge their beauty by photos, as many look great in pictures, but in real make the opposite impression. This year I trashed all my crocus cancellatus, hadriaticus and some crocus serotinus forms finding them not attractive, beacause when my other crocus species bloom they get lost on the background of more showy forms. Though that's my personal opinion. In spite of everything I know that crocus nudiflorus never can dissapoint me.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »
Thomas - beautiful crocus. The C.medius from Faiallo is very impressive. Was this grown from seed? How long did it take? I'm still awaiting flowers from seeds collected further west, near Carcare - they seem very slow.

Not from seed, Gerry. I received them as corms labelled Crocus medius, this spring they
flowered and I had to re-label them to Crocus etruscus. Both are not to distinguish by
the leaves and corms alone. You can imagine my surprise when I found this flower now.
Had some seed this summer but can't tell you how long they need to flowering size.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
Zhirair you dumped crocus cancellatus, hadriaticus and some crocus serotinus forms? :o
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »
In my delirium I see C. hadriaticus var chrysobelonicus has a dark stem.
Is that the main difference to C. hadriaticus ssp hadriaticus (compared to my picture posted Sept.14th)?
Can you kindly explain?

Armin, Brian Mathew doesn't mention the difference between var. chrysobelonicus, var. saundersianus and var. hadriaticus
but I guess it's exact this dark stem. Anne Wright offers the plant under this name in her nursery.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2008, 07:55:18 AM »
This year I trashed all my crocus cancellatus, hadriaticus and some crocus serotinus forms finding them not attractive, beacause when my other crocus species bloom they get lost on the background of more showy forms. Though that's my personal opinion. In spite of everything I know that crocus nudiflorus never can dissapoint me.

Zhirair, one mans trash is the other mans treasure  :-[

Re nudiflorus, I will show you a photo of a small flowered nudiflorus later when it's out - it's just 10-12cm tall!!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »

Armin, Brian Mathew doesn't mention the difference between var. chrysobelonicus, var. saundersianus and var. hadriaticus
but I guess it's exact this dark stem. Anne Wright offers the plant under this name in her nursery.

For those whose Latin is a good deal better than mine here are Herbert's original descriptions. As far as I can understand it,  the exterior of the flower of var. chrysobelonicus is described as dark. According to Stearn's 'Botanical Latin', "rubro livido" would mean something like blackish red.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:42:01 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
Thanks Gerry, now we need somebody to translate this into English or German  :-\

ArneM

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »
I still have Latin at school but don't ask me to translate that.  ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
Anyone remember Peter Cook's E L Whistey character 'I would have liked to have been a Judge-but I didn't have the Latin' ;D

Here is my Crocus goulimyi

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2008, 02:46:17 AM »
David

Nice colour - my goulimyi are not yet up.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »
Mark,

Yes, I got rid of thoses crocuses. I dind't like crocus cancellatus at all, thogh it grew and increased well. It's in the last place in my autumn crocus chart. Crocus hadriaticus is nice, but too far from my taste. Crocus cancellatus salzmanii is among my favourite species. I just kept the most showy ones. I think it is better to have less and take a perfect care of them, than to have many and be short of time.

Thomas, crocus nudiflorus is a real gem for me. Even very samll forms are in the cercle of my interest. It is good to have some small forms as well for camparison purposes.

David, crocus goulimyi is a real beauty!!! I love it very much - all forms.
This year I didn't harvest all my crocus goulimyi forms and they showed a great vigour: grwe up to 20-25 cm tall and are unbelivably florifeous. One bulb produces masses of flowers, especially the variety 'Many White'. I took some photos and will try to post soon. A gratious crocus and planted in groups in makes dramatical effect!!!!!!!!!
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »
Crocus niveus.   
This delicately bicolored form was raised from Jim Archibald seed:- ex D. M. Hoskins 98-2 & other collections made in Greece, Lakonia, N of Pirgos Dirou (JCA pop.ref. 348.806). In my experience, most forms of C. niveus  don’t like winter wet & this one is no exception.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:39:17 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
Very nice Gerry !  A true Gem !!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal