We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus September 2008  (Read 40299 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus September 2008
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
Well, Shelagh, I think something that beautiful deserves to be shared with as many people as possible! Lovely photos, too.  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
I realise that these pictures are no big deal for all you Crocus fanatics but I was so thrilled with them that I had to share.

Seed was sown in January 03, last year we had 1 flower this year it looks as if all four seedlings are going to flower.  Now the big question is how long will I have to wait for them to bulk up to a 6 inch pot.
Shelagh
Beautiful banaticus - wish I could get mine to flower.

On the question of bulking up, I recently bought 2 pots of Banaticus from a well known Cyclamen Nursery.  In one pot there were 12 noses and the other pot had 8 noses.  As the pots were only £4 each, I do not think they were planted with more than one corm.  Will post a picture of the pots.
Previously when I re-potted a similar pot from the same Nursery, there were in excess of 20 cormlets that I am growing on.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Gerry Webster

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2008, 02:03:03 PM »
Thanks Gerry, now we need somebody to translate this into English or German  :-\
Since nobody else has come forward I will have a go myself at a free translation of the sections dealing with the two varieties of C. hadriaticus mentioned by Thomas & distinguished by W. Herbert in 1845 but  which Brian Mathew does not recognize. Since I don’t understand some of Herbert’s abbreviations I have omitted his descriptions of the leaves which don't seem to differ much. My additions to the original are in italics [thus].

“var. Chrysobelonicus; ...........perianth white; throat hairless [BM says pubescent], orange; exterior [ = base of segments & perianth tube ?] often marked with blackish-red or striated/veined; filaments white, hairless; Found on the stony hill of Chrysobeloni on Lefkas/Lefkada where P. Vrioni first discovered it. Flowers October.

var. Saundersianus; ......... perianth whiteish/off-white; throat deep orange;  [exterior?] apparently not striated. From the hill of Bisdun, the site of ancient  Dodona, near the town called Janina  by the Albanians of Epirus.*  Obtained via the good offices of  S.S. Saunders, the British Consul. Flowers December to January”

*Janina  = Ioannina  did not become part of Greece until1913

It is nearly 60 years since I was taught Latin &, to my regret, I paid no attention at the time. For vocabulary I have made use of W.T. Stearn’s wonderful book Botanical Latin but my command of grammar is rudimentary at best. Corrections welcome.

Other people can decide whether Anne Wright’s plant corresponds to Herbert’s variety ‘Chrysobelonicus’. A form recently collected from Dodona  (AH 8690 ) is in cultivation. At least in photographs, this looks somewhat different to other cultivated forms.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 07:07:33 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
Gerry,
many thanks for your instructive translation. ;) :D
Never stop learning ;D

Best wishes
Armin

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »
I'm awaiting developments with interest. I was given the original corms by a friend who seemed to be quite expert, but I will accept any better offers! Mine are only just showing above ground so far. Bowles' book on Crocus and Colchicum isn't much help either, the descriptions of the two varieties seem to be much the same.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
I realise that these pictures are no big deal for all you Crocus fanatics but I was so thrilled with them that I had to share
Shelagh - a very nice photo. It's clear from your enthusiasm that you too could become a Crocus fanatic. Just don't fight it!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

art600

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »
Shelagh
Beautiful banaticus - wish I could get mine to flower.

On the question of bulking up, I recently bought 2 pots of Banaticus from a well known Cyclamen Nursery.  In one pot there were 12 noses and the other pot had 8 noses.  As the pots were only £4 each, I do not think they were planted with more than one corm.  Will post a picture of the pots.
Previously when I re-potted a similar pot from the same Nursery, there were in excess of 20 cormlets that I am growing on.
[/quote]

Here is the proof.  Although I count the owner as a friend, the pots were selected at random.  Think you would agree - a banaticus bonus    :) ;) :)

P.S.  Just counted second pot and there are now 10 noses.  :o ;D 8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:07:42 AM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »
Here's a pic of my Crocus speciosus xantholaimos from Tony Goode (thank you Tony). Tony's note that came with it said 'may have crossed with pulchellus, or if it has white anthers is pulchellus'. Looks like xantholaimos to me Tony!

By the way I wasn't the one in our our household who booked a weeks break in Spain right in the middle of the Autumn Crocus flowering season!!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »

P.S.  Just counted second pot and there are now 10 noses.  :o ;D 8)

In actual fact there are 13  8)
Arthur Nicholls

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
By jove, this gets a better bargain by the minute, Arthur!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2008, 06:59:28 AM »
Thomas, it`s a pleasure to see your schottertrifts with such a lot of crocusspecies. Wirklich schön.
David, your pics showes that OXONIAN is real the best C speciosus. Fine.

Hagen,

crocus speciosus 'Oxonian' is, no doubt, very beautiful (especially its dark colour), but it has a serious shortcoming - week tubes, which are easily damaged from slight winds. I have lighter native forms of this crocus, which are very tall, large-flowered and have much stronger tubes.

Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »
I realise that these pictures are no big deal for all you Crocus fanatics but I was so thrilled with them that I had to share.

Seed was sown in January 03, last year we had 1 flower this year it looks as if all four seedlings are going to flower.  Now the big question is how long will I have to wait for them to bulk up to a 6 inch pot.

Shelagh, every crocus photo is a big deal!
Well done, don't hesitate to show more!!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »
Here's a pic of my Crocus speciosus xantholaimos from Tony Goode (thank you Tony). Tony's note that came with it said 'may have crossed with pulchellus, or if it has white anthers is pulchellus'. Looks like xantholaimos to me Tony!

David, did Tony really make the same comments on the same plants that you've been sent by me, too  ;D

Gerry, I will try to examine one of my/Anne's flowers to find out if it is pubescent or hairless.

DONE: It has a hairy throat! So it doesn't seem to be var. chrysobelonicus  :-\
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:14:34 PM by Thomas Huber »
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Last week I bought back copies of the Plantsman magazine from March and June 2002 that have articles from Brian Mathews. I lent them out but they never came back. So good to look at them again now that I'm hooked more than ever on Crocus. You should order them.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerry Webster

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Gerry, I will try to examine one of my/Anne's flowers to find out if it is pubescent or hairless.
DONE: It has a hairy throat! So it doesn't seem to be var. chrysobelonicus  :-\

Thomas - Very interesting. I'll have a look at  my own specimens of Anne's plants in due course - they are only just showing. BM (p60) seems to imply that all forms of C.hadriaticus have a hairy throat & I would guess that his description was based on both living plants & herbarium specimens. I would imagine that Herbert's description was based entirely on dried, herbarium material. I wonder how well throat hairs survive  in such material?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal