We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and Foliage September 2008  (Read 38896 times)

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
Re: Flowers and Foliage September 2008
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2008, 08:57:55 PM »
The seedpod I really like: Asclepias syriaca
in Moscow

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:01 AM »
a cuple of autumn species
Rafa,
I'd not heard of an autumn flowering muscari before.
What can you tell us about it?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I have been very lucky with my Sternbergia, the last 3 years they had been very floriferious. Specially St. Lutea has flowered well, but also Greuteriana and sicula. Unfortunately I don't know what clone my Lutea is, maybee it is "Autumn Gold". I have to tell you the story of this particular bulb: About 16 years ago I was on a summer holyday in Italy. I visited a garden "Villa Carlotta" near the lake Como. In the rock garden I found a dormant bulb on the surface. I did not know what it was, but it looked like a Narcissus. I took it home and planted it in my rock garten and 2 years later it flowered.
Then I found out it was a Sternbergia. Every year since it has flowered and increased to about 25 bulbs different places in my garden. Now I have St. greuteriana, St. sicula, St. clusiana and seedlings of St. colchiciflora. I have trouble with the last one. When I buy a bulb it flower the first year and I get seeds. But next year it has disappeared. I have tried different places but with the same result. Now I hope there will be more success with my seedlings.

Here is some new pictures:

1. As you can see, Thomas I have more than 3 crocus nudiflorus ;)
But they have just started flowering. I love crocus too and have several species. By the way can you give me an advice on Cr. mathewi? I planted a single corm and in 4 years I had 8 flowering corms. I was very pleased, but last year not a single one flowered and the leaves was very small too. They are in the same place in my rock garden as before, only replanted once. What went wrong?

2. Armin, it is a great contrast between nudiflorus and Col. speciosum Album. And I was lucky they flowered at the same time ;D

3. Sterbergia sicula "dodona gold". This group look better than the one last week.

4. Sterbergia greuteriana

5. Seed pods of Crocosmia Lucifer

6. Crocus banaticus

7. Colchicum "water lilly"
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:18 AM »
Hi Poul !
Another great series of pictures.

Regarding your non flowering C. mathewii I don't want to speak for Thomas, but we all seemed to have much less flowers because of the particularly hot weather during Spring 2007, which considerably shortened the growing season of the bulbs resulting in smaller bulbs and less flowers...  :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
Armin, you have mentioned what I consider to be the only fault of autumn flowering crocus.... they are not good at standing up!  Some colchicums tend to flop a lot too.... it is very difficult to find a place to grow these delightful flowers where they can be seen well but can have some protection or support from the wind and rain.... has anyone got any clever ideas to help this problem?

I plant the tender species under scrubs and trees where they get some protection from heavy rain.
This doesn't help in every case but often it saves the beauties from demolition.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
By the way can you give me an advice on Cr. mathewi? I planted a single corm and in 4 years I had 8 flowering corms. I was very pleased, but last year not a single one flowered and the leaves was very small too. They are in the same place in my rock garden as before, only replanted once. What went wrong?

Poul, it is as Luc mentions: we all had a bad flowering season last year. Did you have a look at the corms? Perhaps they are rotten or eaten by pests? I find C. mathewii a very floriferous plant, but in the open garden I often lost some corms. For this reason I've planted them under scrubs last year to protect them from summer moisture. Any signs of the plants this year?

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »
Thomas, there is no sign of Cr. mathewi yet, so I suppose no flowers this year too. I have not looked at the corms for any rot, but they grow in a elevated place with very good drainage. In this place I have never had problems with rotting. But I will take your advice and replant them in a place protected from summer rain. Luckily I have some seedlings in spare from previous years under cold glass, and I hope they will flower in a couple of years.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
Poul, I have 3 baskets with Crocus mathewii from different sources, only one has sent flowers so far.
The other two don't show any sign of life, so there's still hope, that yours are still alive!!
Wait 2 or 3 weeks more, if they don't grow, have a look under the surface if there are still corms!

By the way: You have a wonderful clump of Crocus nudiflorus!!!  :o Definitely more than 3 flowers  ;)

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »
Two autumnflowering bulbs in the autumn sun.
1. Crocus hadriaticus 'Crystal'
2. Colchicum sanguicolle
Kenneth,
How gorgeous this Colchicum is ! Where can I find such a beauty ? Thank you
Dominique
do

Pontoux France

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »
a cuple of autumn species
Thank you Rafa. I like particularly Muscari parviflorum
Dominique
do

Pontoux France

SueG

« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2008, 04:35:46 PM »
I couldn't resist a picture of this Eucomis pole evansii this weekend - flowering for the first time after 3 years - and proof that neglect can pay off! Can't remember when it was last fed or repotted)
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Kenneth K

« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
Dominique. I got my bulbs from the botanical garden of Gothenburg. A small part of their surplus. I see that Rare Plants have it for sale in their autumn catalogue: www.rareplants.co.uk. (Sorry to say it is quite expensive!)

Now I see that it is not in the web catalogue only in the paper one. Maybe it is sold out?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:53:48 PM by Kenneth K »
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
Poul,

Another excellent series of photographs, great plants.

Sue, you give me hope. I have a Eucomis pole-evansii in a pot for the last three years, excellent foliage growth but no flower yet. Maybe next year!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
lapageria rosea with a pink and white growing together
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
Tony

Is this growing in your garden?  I ask as I thought it was quite tender and you live in the frozen north   ;D

Very nice plant(s)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal