We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Some Madeira Island flora  (Read 18081 times)

Michael

Some Madeira Island flora
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
Hello !

I do not post here for a long time, mainly because my " summer hollidays" were not properly "holidays" this year and i had been busy with some articles and work to do! And of course keeping the plants well watered in summer is difficult.

It happens that in the field work i did last month, i took some pictures of some Madeiran endemic plants, and i would like to show them to you!

(Gerd i have not forgot the pictures of Viola paradoxa, the reason i still havnt posted them here is because my friends PC crashed and he lost all the data. But do not worry, next time we go to the mountains to take pictures, i will get the seeds for you :D

I find the island flora very interesting because of the so-called "insular gigantism". This means that there are groups of plants that get giant for some reason, and this mainly happens in islands. Curious isnt it?

I would like to show some examples from Madeira:

This is Sonchus fruticosus, a typical plant of the Laurissilva:

At first glance, it doesnt seem an interesting plant, untill we realize that it is a very close parent of the tiny dandelion (Taraxacum) that uses to hide on the lawns all over the world :D. But unlike it's continental parent, this plant is more like a giant dandelion growing in a pole.

The composite family is mainly herbaceous, but there are some species that get gigantic and this is one of them. If you do a cut in the stem, you wont find the growing rings typical of any other bushy plant or tree. The growth is abnormal and doesnt form those rings, wich means the ancestor of this plant was an herbaceous plant. To me the most impressive example of a giant composite, is the genus Scalesia from the Galapago Islands.
Scalesia are trees in every sense of the word.  And its amazing if you think that all those epiphytic orchids, mosses and bromeliads that are growing on Scalesia branches are, in fact, growing on a daisy plant!!! Unfortunately this Sonchus isn't as impressive as a Scalesia tree, but it still get's very tall. I measure 1,91m so you can get an idea of the actual heigh of the plant. But this one is still very young as they can grow as tall as 3 meters :D
The flowers are identical to a dandelion too, and they last for a considerable amount of time.

Here is another example of the " insular gigantism", Melanoselinum decipiens:

This plant is a member of the Umbeliferae family, but again, it got giant, like a sort of a mega-parsley in a pole. It can get as tall as the previous one (3 m), but it only flowers once, and then dies after flowering. The flowers are pinkish to white,  and also typical of Apiaceae, but unfortunately, there were no plants blooming at the moment. The plants get pretty impressive when in bloom.

Here's one of my absolute favourites, an orange foxglove :D :D
It is so similar to the foxglove that it was first described as Digitalis sceptrum. But latter, due to their bushy growing habit, someone sugested to create a new genus, called Isoplexis. I wish i could know what is the meaning of this name, if somebody could tell me the meaning i apreciate!

A view from top, with the typical pineapple-like bracts at center.

A detail of the inflorescence, showing the conspicuous dark veins

This is the second time i find this plant in 21 years (my life), the last time i had seen it i was like 13 years old, so i did not waisted the opportunity to take a picture with it!

There are only four species of Isoplexis, 1 on Madeira and 3 on the canary islands. They are another typical example "island gigantism". The Scrophulariaceae family is, like the other 2 families that i spoke above, mainly herbaceous.
On these 2 last pictures, please have a look at the backgroung plant to have an idea of the overall habbit.

This is Clethra arborea, the lily of the valley tree. This name was given by tourists, as it is most known as "folhado" here in madeira. The flowers also smell very nice :D

If you remind of the other post i did about the "weird campanula member" of madeira a couple of months ago, i had no good pictures of the blooms, because the plants were too far to take a nice picture. But i finally found a plant blooming very close to the road. It was a very lucky day, as this bloom seemd the last one of the whole population!

The blooming period was on the end, and the seedpods were starting to develop and change from yellow to green.

This is our endemic saxifraga, growing on a rock:

And finally, for those of you who would like to come to Madeira one day, here are are some pictures of the highland landscape (mainly laurissilva).

I hope you like them! :D
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Some Madeira Island flora
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
Hi Michael ,

thank you for sharing with us your pics - really nice !!!
you makes me curious ....maybe some day ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:36:36 PM by Hans Joschko »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »
Great display of photographs, Michael.

The isoplexis grew for me for a few years before succumbing to our conditions.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »
Beautiful pictures Michael! Love the Isoplexis especially. The name consists of  Iso = equal + plexus = braiding. This refers to the fact that top lip and lower lip of the flower are of the same length.
No problem concerning the violet!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Michael

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »
Hans, if you someday want to come here, you will be welcome!

Anyway, have you discovered yet to which one those seeds belong to? Wich one is your favourite?

Paddy, yes the isoplexis is a headache! It wont grow to me either, and your conditions are closer to the ideal than mine! Very ironic, specially when we think that i am 40 minutes in car of where that plant grows, and you live so far away!

To grow this plant well you need to porvide it with cool foggy conditions all year around. By this I mean temperatures on the low 20ºc during the day with a nightdrop to the 14´s during the night. On the winter it can be much lower! The Isoplexis also doesnt matter of cold temperatures, as long as they are always above 0ºc.
But one thing i can tell you, this plant hates the heat. I am thinking seriously on moving to the mountains just to be able to grow this plant! hehe :D

Thanks for the translation Gerd, you are absolutely right and it makes all sense. I had some idea that iso is for "equal" but the "plexis" part gave me no hint, so i was totally dark!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:06:30 PM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
Michael

really interesting to seem some different plants
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:32:57 AM »
Michael :

no idea with the seeds - it is impossibly to say which is the favorit -they are all beautiful 8)

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »
Thanks for showing us these wonderful images. This island is amazing, the plants grows outdoors with no problem, when here we must protect them.
And also very interesting is all those places in the mountains that we've never heard in touristics publicity.
I've never went to Madeira (and i'm so near), but if I go one day, I would like to visit all these places kept so wild.
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »
Michael a week in Madeira a few years ago is one of my favourite holidays.  I had just bought an SLR camera and had plenty of chance to use it.  It is such a fertile island and there is such diversity of plants I reckon that if you stuck your finger in the soil on Madeira that it would grow.  I hope to go back some day, especially now they have lengthened the runway, it was a bit scary before. We stayed in Machico which is a lovley little town.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Michael

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »
Thanks for your kind replies!

By the way Hans, i sincerely hope you like the yellow one... :D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »
Michael :

what is the name of this ( yellow ) plants  ???

Michael

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
Hans, that plant is called Musschia aurea ( If i remember correctly it is named after Dr. Mussch, a german person related to botany).

In this website you have a lot of information about the genus Musschia

http://www.rareplants.de/shop/prodtype.asp?CAT_ID=246

By the way, do not pay attention to the minimum temperature they say. The plants can take as low as 5ºc, so no worries. Usually they grow close to the sea level, but there is one population that grows at middle altitude on the central valleys of MAdeira, and there on winter, i can assure you it gets a lot colder than 10ºc!
Just make sure you give it plenty of sun. I know you grow cactus, so this is a perfect companion plant with very similar requirements.
:D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
Michael thank you !

I have found this website and the information about this plants ....it seems pretty rare !

You have a lot of trust in me ...I dont know   ::)

What you think : sowing now or wait until spring ?

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:27 PM »
Michael,
thank you for the picture sequences and the information around.
Please feel engaged to post more ;)
Best wishes
Armin

Michael

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »
Hans, yes those plants are rare, the first time i saw one live was just about 2 years ago!
They are from a mediteranean climate, lots of rain in winter and dry summers. So i guess the seeds starts to germinate about now, but of course do not let the plant get too dry on summer. It likes dryness to prevent rotting. What i do with mine is let them start to wilt a bit then water well untill the next time.
The plants also do not like at all their roots being disturbed, so take great care while handling them, they break so easily!

But of course you can save some seeds to try on spring too!

Aruby, yes i will post more pictures, as soon as i get more fieldwork to do :D
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal