We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand field trips October 2008  (Read 9702 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New Zealand field trips October 2008
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »
Extraordinary photos of this exciting place, David. Really enjoying this, thank you !
Some of those ferns seem more like sea-weeds... amazing plants!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
Thanks David. I thought it looked like some kind of foamy substance that might have something's eggs in it. Like frog spawn, though hardly that in a bush.

Could have been a tree frog Lesley!  Doh!   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »
I suppose so.  :)I have (a very few now, used to have hundreds) of the Australian whistling tree frog. The are little coffee coloured blokes, very cute. They neither whistle nor, so far as I've seen, live in trees. Eggs? in the local ponds I think.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
Paul, the tree fuchsia's flowers are typically fuchsia-like, especially like those of the smaller-flowered species, little spinning top shape and small for the size of the tree but borne numerously. They are a sort of pinky-plum colour and very pretty. Even better though are the very large black fruits, similar shape to those of Hardenbergia. They are juicy and edible, by birds and people. I get a lot of bird-sown seedlings in my garden.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Paul, The flowers are much as Lesley has described but a picture is worth a thousand words
Picture 1 is of young flowers shedding pollen. As you can see the pollen is purple. The flowers are a nectar source for bellbirds and tuis who act as pollinators.

Picture 2 shows the older flowers with most of the pollen gone. At this stage the develop a plum colour.

Picture 3 is a bonus; It is Fuchsia perscandens a vigorous climbing species that is not well known in horticultural circles
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »
Maggi,

You must persuade Ian to bring you with him next time he comes so you can see it all for yourself.
regards,
David
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 04:57:27 AM »
David, I had no idea the new flowers had that beautiful blue and green colouring. They are really special.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 06:26:41 AM »
David, Lesley
That's nearly too much to learn, because:

1. There is more than Fuchsia procumbens in N.Z.
2. There is a tree Fuchsia
3. There is a climbing Fuchsia
4. The fruits of Fuchsia are edible

Are there some more surprises?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
Gerd,

There are always more surprises. Nearly every time I go out I find something that I have not seen before. You are correct with respect to Fuchsia;there is Fuchsia procumbens which is a low-growing trailing plant, Fuchsia perscandens which can be a climber or a tangled low bush and Fuchsia excorticata which can form a substantial tree. The fruits of Fuchsia excorticata are produced in abundance and can be eaten. Birds are very fond of them -  humans are generally not.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
David,

Temperature requirements for the tree fuchsia please?  How frost tolerant?  I don't know F. perscandens either, so need details of that one (and pictures if you have them).  I already grow F. procumbens and just love it.  The flower pictures you posted for the tree fuchsia immediately brought the procumbens flowers to mind.  More details needed!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »
Wonderful walk in a very special area David.
I suppose you could almost call it a rain forrest.
Thanks very much for letting us carry your bags... ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
Paul,
Fuchsia excorticata is deciduous so it is reasonably frost tolerant more so than procumbens. It should tolerant down to at least -5 degrees C. Fuchsia perscandens would have similar tolerances. I have always thought F. excorticata would look good under planted with rhododendrons. Here it is considered a bit of a weed by gardeners as it is spread by birds and keeps appearing where it is not wanted as it is one of the primary colonising species reponsible for forest establishment.

Luc,

There is a rainfall gradient that governs the distribution of rain/cloud forest around Dunedin.  The summit of Mt Cargill (680m) near the coast is forested where as the the summit of Flagstaff (668m) which is further inland is not is not. The track from Leith Saddle rises up to a point on Swampy Spur (666m) and crosses the transition zone which I hope to show when I continue this posting. The story is slightly more complicated than this but on some of these points we get into a bit of conjecture and debate so I will leave it there.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
David,

And yet Fuchsia excorticata is allowed in through our quarantine (i.e on the list of allowed species).  I doubt that the perscandens has been evaluated, so it isn't on the list.  Methinks I shall have to find a source for excorticata..... looks too interesting not to try it.  How tall does it actually end up?  Can it be trimmed to keep it down?  Does it prefer shade to full sun?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 01:05:13 PM »
Fascinating stuff David - I'll be looking forward for the next postings !! :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
David is probably better placed to answer this than I am but I find the (bird-sown) seedlings of Fuchsia excorticata grow better in at least part shade though the sunnier ones do grow, rather more compactly. I think it probably grows to about 5 or 6 metres? It can certainly be trimmed and one almost pollarded could be interesting as it would feature the beautiful trunk more prominently.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal